Hey guys whats the best way to get a good death metal tone on a line 6 spider 3 half stack? It seems it is more suited for a slipknot type tone as compared to say a Faceless type tone. Any insight on how to do that would be much appreciated. Currently I'm running the drive nob about 3/4 the bass about 1/3 the mids at 3/4 and the treble around half using the Mr Clean plugin turned all the way to insane. this setting is working pretty good but I think it could be improved
tern on teh insain chainal and b00tify!!!!!!1!!

seriously though.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Lol. I'd just work on your technique as much as you can. Unfortunately, you're going to need amazing technique to make up for the tonal shortcomings of the Spider.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ehh....even though settings threads aren't allowed...

Red metal (insane, only if you can deal with the noisiness), drive down (half or something)
treble up 8-9
bass half to low 3-6
mids...the problem area I find...too much sounds like screaming monkeys too little and you have the scooped mids tone.

Try screwing around with that stuff. The insane channel is pretty much the crappiest compressed gain tone I've had to endure through, there's just too much gain clouding up the tone of all the notes IMO no matter what it's set to. (I own the 75W version...but conversely The Line 6 Pod Farm is godly )
okay, i agree witht he above two posts, but for gods sake.

Stop scooping mids like chocolate icecream.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Johnikker
lol I knew this amp was lacking but I'ts all I have

just mess around until you find something you like the sound of.

You gounna be dere aaaaageees.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
OP: Don't let these guys get you down. They are right, but one of the most important things you'll ever learn is to do the best you can with what you have.

Also, guys, remember that if OP's taste for tone were as refined as you're, he'd have purchased a diff amp. We've all had shitty gear and we worked with it until we improved our playing and learned about quality gear.
Quote by Banjocal
okay, i agree witht he above two posts, but for gods sake.

Stop scooping mids like chocolate icecream.

Thank you. Scooping mids is retarded and makes the tone deaf and flat.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Try turning the noise gate off. You'll have to read the manual I forget how to do it. Something about holding a button and turning a knob. Totally different amp with that off. You actually get feedback easy and stuff. Keep the drive at 12 o'clock or less. I think your eq settings are ok..

Try metal red with 3/4 drive with the noise gate off too.
Last edited by mydian at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Clay-man
Thank you. Scooping mids is retarded and makes the tone deaf and flat.

WELL, I think if scooped CORRECTLY then it can sound pretty nice. Now I dont mean death metal scooped or 13 year old scooped mids, Slightly rolled back mids dont sound bad at all. Though a total scoop does too. But in its defense, a total mid boost sucks too. Mids are such a vital part of the sound sometimes!
Quote by nickdohle
WELL, I think if scooped CORRECTLY then it can sound pretty nice. Now I dont mean death metal scooped or 13 year old scooped mids, Slightly rolled back mids dont sound bad at all. Though a total scoop does too. But in its defense, a total mid boost sucks too. Mids are such a vital part of the sound sometimes!

Yeah I push it back a bit, that's why it's goddamn there, so you can adjust it to your please.

I usually like it back for rhythm, and upped for leads.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
I'm running a spider 3 75w combo and I know mine inside and out. Had it for yearzzz. ϭ__ϭ Hate.

BUT it is possible to get an alright tone. It'll always be a saturated thin tone, but it is possible to make an acceptable tone out of a spider. Just takes a lot of creativity and patience. For me, it's running the bass around 1 o' clock, the mids around 2' o clock, and treble around 1 o' clock. Insane channel, drive all the way up with the noise gate on, JUST A PINCH of reverb, and rolling my volume knob on my guitar back to around 7 with the tone knob at 9 on the bridge pickup. I've found that to be acceptable for me as far as a metal tone goes, just please don't make the mistake of playing in front of your amp or it's going to shatter your eardrums with the most annoying undesirable useless feedback the world has ever seen.

Scooping mids sucks. But blaring crappy mids sucks worse. Gotta balance it all out cuz those mids will give your amp depth, where as the bass and treble will give it a powerful undertone and strong attack.

As for the HOMIGAWDZ WHAT DE FUZZ UP WIT DE MIDS SKOOPARZ!?!?!?????1??1

Shut up. Please. For the love of god.

Not every amp out there actually HAS a decent EQ, some of them have the most undesirable lousy muddy friggin mid section this worlds' ever been cursed with. I've played MANY. Sometimes one HAS to scoop these mids and deal with the crappy thin tone, making up for it by cranking the volume and playing loud angry crappy music just to get anything out of it at all. Been there, done that, bought the freakin t-shirt.

EQ settings are personal. If someone likes the sound of scooped mids, screw it. Let em. I know people who actually like the sound of a Fender G-DEC. Why, the world may never know. They just do. If everyone had badass tone, I guarantee you half of you would feel pretty damn inferior right now. Either stay on your high horses and shut it, or play the same material some of these scoopers are playing with the same equipment they are and tell me your mid-saturated tones are anywhere near what these guys are shooting for.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
replace yr strings with the fattest available, then downtune then 2 steps. chuck in dimarzios......
Quote by Ishiga
*epic post*

Personally I dislike using scooped mids because I play mainly blues and rock, but I admit scooped mids can sound epic, for the right kinda music, played by people that can make it work.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Last edited by TomG10-7 at Oct 1, 2010,