Want to know about religion? Talk to an atheist or an agnostic, apparently.

Poll: Watcha get in the test?
Poll Options
View poll results: Watcha get in the test?
0-3
0 0%
3-6
13 2%
7-8
14 2%
8-9
72 12%
77 13%
91 16%
108 19%
102 18%
72 12%
31 5%
Voters: 580.
Page 1 of 13
In a recent study, atheists were found to know more about religion than Christians in America. In fact, the only group to top atheists and agnostics were Jewish.

http://features.pewforum.org/quiz/us-religious-knowledge/

EDIT: New link! ^

The quiz can be taken there. Probably due to high traffic, it may crash, just be patient, it's only 15 questions. On that though, it calculated I got 0/15, probably due to some crashes. I marked myself up and I actually got 13 out of 15. I forgive myself on one I got wrong because it was a rather American question, but yeah

Try the test anyway. I'll have a poll up for results.

Here's a news article on it which you should not read first if you intend to do the quiz.

My opinion? Yeah, whilst the base facts are true, my initial thoughts are that having non-religiosity probably is not a casual factor in this, but education. The better educated scored higher, and the better educated are more likely to be atheist.
Quote by captaincrunk
In the official report they said that though even among educated people atheists and agnostics scored higher, and even among uneducated people atheists and agnostics scored higher.
Last edited by Craigo at Sep 28, 2010,
That's because the more someone learns about religion, the more they will reject it.
Last edited by Will Swanson at Sep 28, 2010,
Taking quiz. Will post results, just reserving myself a space on the first page resulting in me being read by everyone ever.

EDIT: Quiz's broken, lad.

DoubleEDIT: As the second post I feel obligated to let all you know that the rest of this thread is filled with unparalleled amounts of pretentiousness.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by rooster456 at Sep 28, 2010,
According to... atheists?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
The "Take the Quiz" button won't work for me...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Yeah I can't get on there either, shame, i'd like to try it. I'm an agnostic/atheist with a religious upbringing, so i'd imagine i'd do well.
As an athiest, i'd say I know alot more about non christian religions than most people.. for sure. I know quite abit about Christianity considering I went to church for the first 15 years of my life once a week
I have learned much about religion in my spare time (It's where I turn to laugh at silly beliefs when I can't watch fox news)

Still I think the study is alarming, I'd like to think that people who go to church every week and read their bibles are at least learning about a particular belief. And they even controlled for education! I agree with religious scholar Stephen Prothero's line: "those who think religion is a con know more about it than those who think it is God's gift to humanity."
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Quote by Will Swanson
That's because the more someone learns about religion, the more the will reject it.

Definitely.
Quote by Zombee

Why do you assume that? This is from a survey. If you report the empirical findings of a survey, the religiosity of those conducting it is completely irrelevant.

I don't know where they stand in religion, but I'd also highly suggest you don't make assumptions lest you embarrass yourself. For example, some right libertarians (ie, NOT liberal) concluded through a study that liberals are smarter than conservatives, and a bunch of people accused the conductors of being liberals. Which was very silly.
I can not seem to take the quiz, it must be because the server is in another country and recieving a boatload of traffic.
DeVillains!
Quote by Zombee

Who else could it be, evil atheists manipulating facts.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Education breeds intellectual independence and those who are too afraid to learn the truth rely on faith that all of their problems in their life, and their lives in general, with be taken care of by a supreme being.

People don't give themselves enough credit; has anyone ever stopped to think that its possible that mankind has made it this far on our own? My belief is that we were given life and we are allowed to do with it what we can.

Also, its fun to know more about religion (and the contrasting views found in the Bible) than the average Christian because of how ignorant and stubborn they usually are.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Shame test isn't working, I was curious about what I'd get. I don't know that much about religion though.

Wonder what slackerbabbath will get
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I've spoken with many Christians who cannot explain basic principles like the Trinity or the events of Pentecost, or even what the Holy Spirit is. These same Christians I've met couldn't tell you about Constantine, the Council of Nicea or even what Byzantium was.
Quote by sfaune92
The "Take the Quiz" button won't work for me...

same here, FFFUUUU
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by greatone_12
I have learned much about religion in my spare time (It's where I turn to laugh at silly beliefs when I can't watch fox news)

Still I think the study is alarming, I'd like to think that people who go to church every week and read their bibles are at least learning about a particular belief. And they even controlled for education! I agree with religious scholar Stephen Prothero's line: "those who think religion is a con know more about it than those who think it is God's gift to humanity."

The quiz is about religion. Some questions include 'what is the predominant religion of Pakistan?'; 'What religion was Joseph Smith?'; 'which person is best known for protestant reforms?', 'which religion tries to achieve nirvana, a state without suffering?' and so forth.
Those seem like extremely easy questions to me
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Craigo
In fact, the only group to top atheists and agnostics were Jewish.

Hell yeah for Jews!

Quote by Will Swanson
That's because the more someone learns about religion, the more they will reject it.
What an ignorant statement...

Not to mention that no one can tell you're an atheist.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by Craigo
The quiz is about religion. Some questions include 'what is the predominant religion of Pakistan?'; 'What religion was Joseph Smith?'; 'which person is best known for protestant reforms?', 'which religion tries to achieve nirvana, a state without suffering?' and so forth.

No it's even worse than that. The study concluded that americans didn't even know as much about their own religion as atheists! "A shocking forty-five percent of Catholics incorrectly answered a question about Catholicism and Communion"

Perhaps the quiz you posted is different? or is just sample questions because the actual test used in the study had 32 questions not 15. But I'm not sure I can't get it to load.
Mr. Butlertron are you A handsome B smart C scrap metal or D all of the above
Scangrade thats easy I'm A and B but not C, so it can't be all of the above, but you can't fill in two ovals Nooo!
Mr. Butlertron the answer is C... you fuckwad
Last edited by greatone_12 at Sep 28, 2010,
So we're basing this decision off of a whopping 15 questions? Some of which are about the history of the church?

Churches teach their beliefs not their history, so I am not surprised. The test was most likely created by atheists, so obviously atheists would do better on it.

Quote by Craigo
In fact, the only group to top atheists and agnostics were Jewish.

WUT?
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
We all know religion is retarded. This is nothing new.

Quote by Zombee
So we're basing this decision off of a whopping 15 questions? Some of which are about the history of the church?

Churches teach their beliefs not their history, so I am not surprised. The test was most likely created by atheists, so obviously atheists would do better on it.

I don't know if you're religious or not... but you certainly aren't doing anything other than prove the point you're trying to argue against. If you don't know the history of your own belief system there's something seriously fucking wrong with your head.

Also, your last sentence makes no sense. The test is about religion in general, whether the people who made the test are religious or not has absolutely no bearing on anything, whatsoever. I can't really see why you're drawing a line between the two, to be honest.
Last edited by Ninja Vampirate at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

You can. You ask 'em. Problem solved.
Quote by greatone_12
Perhaps the quiz you posted is different? or is just sample questions because the actual test used in the study had 32 questions not 15. But I'm not sure I can't get it to load.

The communion question was on mine.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Hell yeah for Jews!

You do realize I'm talking about creationism, and Old Testament stuff, right? If you believe in that, that I'm sorry for more than one reason.
Huzzah!

I read the article about this, but wanted to actually see what the questions were. Thanks, Craig.

AÆdit: Damn you assholes clogging up their server.
Last edited by archangels at Sep 28, 2010,
\reserved/

EDIT:It wont let me take the test, everytime i click i get the page i was one

2ndEDIT: 15/15
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by Zombee

Apparently there was more questions originally.

And why is the second sentence worth raising?
Churches teach their beliefs not their history

Churches also don't teach their followers that the most predominant religion in Pakistan is Islam. This is quite simply about religion, which is a wide area of knowledge and study.
The test was most likely created by atheists, so obviously atheists would do better on it.

How? Why? How the deuce? Did they did a preliminary study which they didn't publish to find out questions atheists are statistically more likely to know than Christians?

You're presuming. That is all. Seriously. It was a bunch of religious people who found out that the higher your IQ, the more likely you are to be an atheist. Once again, people assumed the authors of said study were atheists when they weren't. Don't be so presumptuous: there's no ground for it and you might burn yourself.
WUT?

What's your point?
Last edited by Craigo at Sep 28, 2010,
Googled the quiz and the link worked fine. Got 13. Was undecided on what day the Jewish Sabbath started and guessed the wrong one. And I have no idea what the First Great Awakening is. Surprised at how many people didn't know who really started Protestantism.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Managed to take the quiz and I got 11/15....meh.
Didn't know what the First Great Awakening was or that the bread and wine aren't just symbols.
Last edited by Masamune at Sep 28, 2010,