I am a hobbyst and play about once a week in jam sessions, sometimes they are glorious, sometimes tragic, and most of the time they are average and fun. I use a distortion pedal, and sometimes the chorus from the amp, which I don't like. My amp is a cheap solid state crate, and I like it, but not the effects. I use a gibson sg or a fender strat, and they sound great, no complaints. My favorite distortion pedal is a hardwire tube overdrive. I also used an Ibanez TS9, and I don't like it , despite the good word around. I want to start using a delay, chorus and compressor (not all at the same time). Because of my good experience with hardwire, I think I will end up using hardwire chorus and delay. But they don't make compressors. My budget is 50-100 for a decent pedal. I have heard good things about the old DOD compressors, I have seen an apparently excellent compressor in the GFS webpage for $55, the Dyna comp, the boss. For playing mostly blues and through a clean channel most of the time, which one would you recommend? one that is not noisy of course. Thanks for the conversation.
All compressors are noisy, just warning you. The Dynacomp is a decent compressor for the money, heard good things about the DODs too. If I were you, I'd look for a used MXR Custom Comp, those things are excellent. they're 129 new.

Just stay away from the Boss.
I have the dyna comp... it is noisy but I have found ways to keep the effect where I want and cut out the noise otherwise... for the price it is very good...

but if the custom comp is better I would go for that one
Guitars:
1991 Fender American Stratocaster
2008 Dean Ml '79

Amps:
Egnater Tweaker
Fender G-DEC 15

Pedals:
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop 535Q Chrome Series Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Ibanez TS-808
tubescreamer is meant for a tube amp to drive them further.
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
the Custom comp is much quieter than the Dyna Comp. it's worth the extra $30. sometimes, you have to spoil yourself

are there any particular sounds are you looking to acheive, or do you just want a nice compressor?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by ponchete
thank you! now I know what to look for

Do you guys know anything about the GFS pedals? I will probably go for the custom comp though following your advice.
What I am looking for is to enhance the notes when I try to comp with the pick and the fingers at the same time. I usually do that with the overdrive, but it would be nice to keep the clean sound too.
The custom comp is good for that. Gets me a good "Sultans of Swing" tone.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
the Jacques Fat Burner is another excellent compressor worth looking into.

then there's the Visual sound comp 66 ($100) or the Outlaw supplies sunset Squeeze ($100), if you want to get a good compressor for a little bit cheaper.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Look into the Barber Tone Press. They're $150 new and can be found for around $100 used.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by WtrPlyr
All compressors are noisy, just warning you. The Dynacomp is a decent compressor for the money, heard good things about the DODs too. If I were you, I'd look for a used MXR Custom Comp, those things are excellent. they're 129 new.

Just stay away from the Boss.

I've got a Barber Tone Press that isn't noisy at all really.

The dynacomp is the noisiest compressor I've ever used, I would recommend to stay away from it. I really hate it.

-edit

didn't read the thread before I posted, but I guess the post right above me has the right idea too

I got my tone press for $90.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by yellowshirtguy
I've got a Barber Tone Press that isn't noisy at all really.

The dynacomp is the noisiest compressor I've ever used, I would recommend to stay away from it. I really hate it.

-edit

didn't read the thread before I posted, but I guess the post right above me has the right idea too

I got my tone press for $90.

Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.