Ok, so I'm just thinking out loud here...

I've decided to build my own speaker cab for my Blackstar HT20 Head.
My initial thought was a 1x12 to make it portable enough to gig with. I wanted to make it just as wide as the Blackstar HT20 head, which is 517mm. When I photoshopped a mock-up, the single 1x12 speaker looked a little lonely on it's own in a cab that wide. So I thought, if I squared up the cab (517mmx517mm) I could fit a 12" and a 10" speaker in a diagonal layout.

What would the pros and cons of such a setup be?

I guess speaker choice would be important, but if I can match the ohms and watts then it should be cool, no?
It might look better just to fit 2 10"s in there, and you'd have .15" on either side to spare

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
You could do ports in a 1x12 cabinet. You'll probably get better results with a nicely ported 1x12 than an odd 1x12 + 1x10. The extra ports would visually help offset the "loneliness" of the 12" speaker.
I think I read somewhere that having a exactly square cab would result in bad things, relating to sound waves anc cancellation. Is this true or poppycock?

I'm going to look into ported cabs now and see if it's something I can do. A 1x12 and a 1x10 doesn't make a lot of sense to me now apart from that it'd have a little more bass response than a 2x10.

The original thinking was to keep weight down so I guess a 1x12 would be the most sensible decision. I may even build two cabinets.

Is there much difference between a 16ohm 1x12 and a 8ohm 1x12? My head can output to both.

EDIT: Am I right in thinking that it's only worth porting a closed back cab?
Last edited by machin05 at Sep 29, 2010,
Hi all, I'm about to build the same layout cabinet, basically. tho I have my reasons for the design. I am a touring guitar tech and have been trying to get a great mix of tones for the guitarist I tour with. We have tried various amps and cabs and with the limits of what we can carry weight wise each tour I had come upon the mix of a duo cab with a fully enclosed 12 inch speaker on the bottom to give some low end push and a tilted open back ten inch on the top like the fender pro junior woody Jensen, we run" In ear monitors" so we only need a few watts and a full 4x12 is too much when your only really pushing a few decibels.. I'll be running this with a 18watt marshall clone handbuilt amp. I've seen various configurations over the years and it was quite normal back in the day to have a guitar amp with various sizes. I think I can get the two distinct tones i need with my design and have a sopeaker cab that barely takes up a footprint on stage and can be stereo mic'd for FOH and have a great mix of dynamic range..
I'll keep ya posted.
Quote by machin05
I think I read somewhere that having a exactly square cab would result in bad things, relating to sound waves anc cancellation. Is this true or poppycock?

I'm going to look into ported cabs now and see if it's something I can do. A 1x12 and a 1x10 doesn't make a lot of sense to me now apart from that it'd have a little more bass response than a 2x10.

The original thinking was to keep weight down so I guess a 1x12 would be the most sensible decision. I may even build two cabinets.

Is there much difference between a 16ohm 1x12 and a 8ohm 1x12? My head can output to both.

EDIT: Am I right in thinking that it's only worth porting a closed back cab?

Yes porting and tuning a cabinet only works if it is a closed back.

You don't want to do square (even) dimensions because you might create modes within the cabinet and get weird sounds or rattling. Unless you're a sound engineer and can calculate proper dimensions, just stick with odd numbers or prime numbers. 11x19x17.
Last edited by earthwormjim at Oct 9, 2010,