Whenevr I sing I get out of breath easily. Are there any techniques or exercises that can help with this? Having to stop and catch my breath isn't great..

And also, is there any difficulty scale on songs to sing? I wanna get in on the whole rock thing (I'm a begginer) like chris cornell type shizz, robert plant etc. Are there any relatively easy songs to start out with? I'm finding difficulty not only singing them well, but keeping my breath well, generally sounding good etc.
Last edited by jktheman at Sep 28, 2010,
There are certain places in between notes (or words) where is best to breathe at. Different songs have different spots.

Take the lyrics of the song, and go through and write "inhale" and "exhale" at the spots that feel best to you. After a couple of songs, you'll get the hang of it w/o having to write it down.
Quote by jktheman
Whenevr I sing I get out of breath easily. Are there any techniques or exercises that can help with this? Having to stop and catch my breath isn't great..

And also, is there any difficulty scale on songs to sing? I wanna get in on the whole rock thing (I'm a begginer) like chris cornell type shizz, robert plant etc. Are there any relatively easy songs to start out with? I'm finding difficulty not only singing them well, but keeping my breath well, generally sounding good etc.

Make sure when you breathe that your belly is expanding, rather than your shoulders raising. This will help give you a little more control over your breath. At first, until you get massive control over your airflow, use as little air to make a note as possible.

Okay. The guys you mentioned are the high water marks at what they do. Robert Plant's vocals are very difficult in that they are articulate, have fantastic tonal quality, stay connected throughout his range, and include very high notes in nearly every Zeppelin song. Chris Cornell is like Robert Plant on a fatal dose of steroids. He does all of those things that Plant does, but with a tremendous degree of weight and power. You're talking about some of the most difficult vocals in rock history here. For both these guys, especially Cornell, you're talking about an absolutely stupid amount of practice to get on the same level.

If you want some "easy" Zeppelin or Soundgarden songs to start out with, here are a few. Even that being said, they're still going to be quite difficult for an absolute beginner, and you might have to modify a few of the notes.

Led Zeppelin - "Thank You," "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do," "Tangerine"

Soundgarden - "Zero Chance," "Black Hole Sun," "Like Suicide (Acoustic)," "4th of July (without the overdubbed vocals)" <---The only one of these songs (and probably only Soundgarden song) that is legitimately easy is Zero Chance. I think the highest full voiced note is like an E above middle C. Good song though.
Thank you guys for the posts, this helped me out loads. Also, i'm fond of songs such as lonely day by soad. Its pretty easy to sing and has a simple guitar line so I can play along and sing, which promotes me singing on my own. What other easy to sing with easy guitar lines are there?
Quote by Chaingarden
Make sure when you breathe that your belly is expanding, rather than your shoulders raising.
Yeah this is right. In the post I linked to, I said that you should raise your shoulders. My point was that your shoulders shouldn't be slouched, as that will compress your whole torso.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
For diaphram. Do as if ur blowing out a candle. Feel that muscle?

That's ur diphram. Try doing that repeadently till ur out of breath. Inhale. Repeat

another good one to devolope sustain. Is slow leak. Inhale and close ur teeth and release air thru the tiniest hole and see how long u can go.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal