Page 1 of 2
I'm new to guitar and I was wondering if and how some of you guys are able to tell if somebody out in public or something plays an instrument.

Some that I know are:

Finger calluses and if they don't look at you like you're a freak if you say: "I broke the g string while I was fingering a minor" - Curtsey of this forum

Yours?
It's usually whenever someone has long hair. But when they offer to sell me drugs, then I know for sure.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I normally see them doing something musical of the sort when i spot them, so its not hard to tell. Other than that i don't know if they are or not.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
I don't, why would I need to or indeed care?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's if we talk and I notice they're a bit slow in the head and always talk about music. Sometimes I can pick it up right away if I spot them playing an instrument. I don't know why, it's like I can read people like a book.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
It's hard to tell sometimes. Their hair, clothing and manerisms may give an indication, other times you can tell by where they hang out - or you could talk to them.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

*joke I was megabeaten to about they're playing an instrument*

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Their general placement on the awesome scale.
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
As a Bartender, I always talk and /or ask about live shows recently attended, that uaually gets the ball rolling about music in general! Home towns, recent festivals! Always fodder for goood music conversation!!! A Bartender's View!!!
I notice they tend to pay more attention to sounds and crap like that.
And of course then there are the ones that pretend to. Long story.
If i see them air guitaring, and their fingers are in the correct position for a song that I know.
What is this that stands before me?

Figure in black that points at me...

FUCKETH THINE SELF
ask them for their UG username. works every time.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by :Vicious--
ask them for their UG username. works every time.

I don't live in a populated enough area for this to work (yet). No one at my school is a UG'er that I know of.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by hobson111
How do you notice calluses? You can't see mine.

Well that's why I was curious about better ways to tell.

"Game recognize game" But how?
So you just stare at peoples fingers?

Also, I dont really have calluses but I've been playing for a year and a half, you cant tell.

I just ask them if they play an instrument.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Their fingers on their left hand are always moving while their right hand is holding an invisible pick.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
Their fingers on their left hand are always moving while their right hand is holding an invisible pick.

That'd be hilarious if somebody did that completely unconsciously.
There's a secret code musicians use to recognise other musicians. You have to go up to someone you suspect to be a musician, grasp your Johnson in your left hand, salute with the right and say: "Do you think you could identify a genital wart?"

Try it sometime.
Quote by BananaMartyr

i do that A LOT. i'll just be walking around, sometimes not even listening to music, but the tunes in my head prompt my right hand to just start picking away.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
Quote by BananaMartyr

I do it a lot

I was doing it in class once and my teacher asked if my hand was moving involuntarily and whether I needed to go to the nurse
cat
Quote by michal23
They're annoyingly elitist about music.

This. and they usually hang out with other people who play instruments. the way you know they DONT is easier...when theyre playing "air guitar" and they look like theyre slapping their dong back and forth whilst squinting and going "denanananan daaaahhhhhh waaaoaahhhh"
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
Usually, I just freaking ask! I mean, really. Good old communication. It used to be that you couldn't even get on the damn interwebz and ask people. Why the hell not just ask? Ask friends, "Hey, do you know of any musicians?" "Does anybody around here play guitar?" Jeese! It's not even hard.
I think people are taking this too seriously XD I was hoping for more jokes.

Quote by leg end
There's a secret code musicians use to recognise other musicians. You have to go up to someone you suspect to be a musician, grasp your Johnson in your left hand, salute with the right and say: "Do you think you could identify a genital wart?"

Try it sometime.

What.
Last edited by BananaMartyr at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by leg end

Try it sometime.

That's how I found my keyboardist

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by BananaMartyr

but i joked =O and btw i forgot to mention. text that joke to your friends as follows "I broke a G-string fingering A minor" any and all musicians will respong with a lol and dam that sux. the non musicians will respond with a paedoooooo comment or something similar.
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
Quote by BananaMartyr

What.

*Ahem*

Person 1: I was trying to play "Through the Fire and Flames".
Person 2: You know they didn't actually play that like it is, right? They edited it in studio.
Person 1: STFU! Herman Li is a great guitarist!
Person 2:

Buh dum tish!

Anyone who gets that joke is actually a musician. Just go around saying it. If you get a deadpanned "Whaa? Aree? You?...I don't even...", then they're not a musician. If you get either a slightly amused snort or a snarky response, they're a musician.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by BananaMartyr

I do that, and sometimes it looks like I'm jerking off instead off picking
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
I just randomly shout "DM7" in public. If the fingers of their left hand immediately take their positions, they are worthy.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by BananaMartyr

What.

Oh yeah, it's legit. Try it.

EDIT:
Quote by the bartender
I just randomly shout "DM7" in public. If the fingers of their left hand immediately take their positions, they are worthy.

What's wrong with Gm7? I was just about to say how badass that chord is and you change it. I hope you die in a car crash.
Last edited by leg end at Sep 29, 2010,
A lot of musicians i have met seem to either be basically an encyclopedia on one specific genre, or like an absolutely massive range of music.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by leg end
Oh yeah, it's legit. Try it.

EDIT:

What's wrong with Gm7? I was just about to say how badass that chord is and you change it. I hope you die in a car crash.

I'm sorry , I actually agree with you that Gm7 is awesome
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by the bartender

No, unless they finger a Bmaj7b5sus4 they are not worth my time.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by the bartender

No worries. You no longer have to die in a car crash.

Gm7 is probably the sexiest chord there is. Someone should make a thread about sexy chords.
You can tell if they're a bass player because they're ultra suave, have a low Morgan Freemanesque voice, and impregnate all women within a 10m radius of them.

plus they have ridiculously big hands. I don't know why, they just do.
Page 1 of 2