i am going to attempt to make my own pups because there is no pickups that i can find that i like. but i have a question.

How do you alter the tone/mids/bass?

I know you can different magnets, and different wire gauges and the turns. But how do you change the tone/mids/bass?
Quote by GibsonKid213
i am going to attempt to make my own pups because there is no pickups that i can find that i like.

You're saying you've tried every single pickup available?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
im not buying every single pickup

i dont have that kinda money

that why i want to build my own

im looking for certain specs and i cant seem to find any

next time when you think you ahve something smartass to say just remove your hands form the keyboard
Winding your own pickup, even just one, will cost as much as buying one, since the wire is expensive.

While a pickup is simple in principle, getting a particular tone is extremely difficult. Every variable affects the tone in some way.
The thickness of the wire, the coating on the wire, the size and shape of the bobbin, the type of magnet used, the strength of the magnet, the shape of the magnet, the arrangement of the magnet, the arrangement of the polepieces, the winding method, laquer potting, wax potting, shielding and other stuff which I can't remember right now all have their effects on the tone.

Read Jason Lollar's book on pickup winding.

Also, have you ever considered trying new amplifiers? They have a pretty significant impact on your tone.
i have tried multipule ones at my store

and the one i have i love it

and i will certainly trying to find that book
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1138187

This may help too.

And as stated, it's expensive, time consuming, and if you don't mess up your first couple of times, they aren't going to sound like you want them to. It will take a lot of tries to get it close to what you want, and even more to refine it.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by GibsonKid213
im not buying every single pickup

i dont have that kinda money

that why i want to build my own

im looking for certain specs and i cant seem to find any

next time when you think you ahve something smartass to say just remove your hands form the keyboard

I wasn't being a smart-ass about it at all.

I was simply stating that I don't understand how you can say that you can't find a pickup you like, even though you haven't tried every single one out.

It's has nothing to do with buying them all, either.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
liek i stated earlier

i am looking for certain specs of the pickup.

i hav played numerous types and i know what i am looking for.

why would a try out pickups that i dont like?
You now have all the info on how to make one, and if not: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-A-Guitar-Pickup/ is the easy way. If you can't get the neodymium magnets, just get some craft magnets (whatever they're called) from Walmart.
Quote by GibsonKid213
liek i stated earlier

i am looking for certain specs of the pickup.

i hav played numerous types and i know what i am looking for.

why would a try out pickups that i dont like?
If you know exactly what you're lookin for then why haven't you found anything? Given the amount of different brands and models of pickups, I find it impossible to believe that you didn't find even one that you liked. Maybe your amp just sucks and you're blaming it on the pickups.
What do you want in your pickup in regards to tone?
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by pot head pyro
If you know exactly what you're lookin for then why haven't you found anything? Given the amount of different brands and models of pickups, I find it impossible to believe that you didn't find even one that you liked. Maybe your amp just sucks and you're blaming it on the pickups.

if you read earlier buddy i love my amp,
every single guitar that i have played through it soudns better than the last. so i know FOR A FACT it is not my amp

How do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it out

i have tried out ones, and thats why i dont like it

What do you want in your pickup in regards to tone?

i am looking for something that has a high output at least 13k, AlNiCo, high treble medium mids, and a low bass. Such as a SD JB (T/M/B = 8/6/5). But it has to be a single coil.
I was thinking about buying a pup with similar specs but has a lower output and just wind it untill it is hot enough for me. Like a SD STK-S4 Stack Plus but then just wind it more times
ts, you need to just chill. asking people for their advice then spitting in their face is not nice. quit acting like a tool. nobody likes a tool so lose the 'tude.

now on topic:

how about reading the link monkeylink posted. since you have never wound pickups before, there is a very good chance that you will either fail or hate the result.

if you want custom pickups so badly, contact nuthinbuttrubl8 or CorduroyEW. they wind custom made-to-order pickups to your exact specs. on top of that, they are great guys to do business with. dont waste your time and money on such a frivolous endeavor.
A pickup that blew me away was the Area 67 that's mounted on Paul Gilberts Fireman Sig.
I prefer humbuckers but this is something else! Check 'em out.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Me: Honestly, why haven't we had sex yet?

Her: IDK, we are doing tomorrow after cinema, aren't we?

Me: Err...are we?

Her. Damn right we are.

Thanks UG.
Quote by Incardito
Eating another man without BBQ sauce is pretty badass
I'm confused TS, the guitars sound great through the amp, but you can't get the pickups to sound good? So does it sound good or not? Can you EQ right? Can you make your posts make sense? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Can you stop getting mad at people that try to help you? If you've only tried a few pups how can you tell you don't like ANY that the sell?
Quote by Sleaze Disease

It's has nothing to do with buying them all, either.

Uh...

How do you try pickups without buying them? A lot of pickups don't come as stock on any guitars, so how do you try them without buying them?
Uh... How do you try pickups without buying them? A lot of pickups don't come as stock on any guitars, so how do you try them without buying them?

exactly
If you've only tried a few pups how can you tell you don't like ANY that the sell?

because i look at the specs, if i find that a pup that sounds good ill look at the specs and majority of the time the specs are close. like if i don't like a high bass, medium mids and medium treble then i wouldn't like pups of similar specs make sense? i think so
Get someone who knows their shit to do it for you.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Maybe your guitar is just a plank? If every other guitar you have plays well through your amp then it's probably just a bad sounding guitar. Put one of the pickups from your other guitars (if you have a few then use the one with the closest matching wood type and bridge) in the guitar in question and then see how it plays. If it still sounds shoddy then there's your problem.
i run all of my pickups through the same rig.

so it cant be the guitar cause
1) not using a guitar
2)its the same rig for all of them
I can understand the frustration coming from the topic starter. Maybe you guys are trying to help, but indeed it ain't helping much.

It kinda reminds me when I was "in his shoe's" once, when I asked for help about a RC car. I was kinda curious in trying to make one myself, and who knows, even had made it into a project for school at the time. Although that never happened, because basically all I got was answers of the same sort as a major part of them here. Buy a new one, or get someone who knows how to do it, to do it for me.

I can see that it may be kinda hard being successful at his first try, and that money may go down the bin, but that's what he's asking for. It's obvious there are loads of Pick-ups available, but I'm sure we all know that, including him.
If you want to help out in that way, at least actually try to help at what he's asking for, and then point out that there may be drawbacks or dificulties he may encounter, etc, etc.

But seriously, what he's trying to do, is open the doors for himself in knowledge, and what many are saying is, be ignorant, just try/buy one's already made and do not try doing it yourself or get someone else who also had that iniciative to start, to do it for him.
Quote by jpcl
I can understand the frustration coming from the topic starter. Maybe you guys are trying to help, but indeed it ain't helping much.

It kinda reminds me when I was "in his shoe's" once, when I asked for help about a RC car. I was kinda curious in trying to make one myself, and who knows, even had made it into a project for school at the time. Although that never happened, because basically all I got was answers of the same sort as a major part of them here. Buy a new one, or get someone who knows how to do it, to do it for me.

I can see that it may be kinda hard being successful at his first try, and that money may go down the bin, but that's what he's asking for. It's obvious there are loads of Pick-ups available, but I'm sure we all know that, including him.
If you want to help out in that way, at least actually try to help at what he's asking for, and then point out that there may be drawbacks or dificulties he may encounter, etc, etc.

But seriously, what he's trying to do, is open the doors for himself in knowledge, and what many are saying is, be ignorant, just try/buy one's already made and do not try doing it yourself or get someone else who also had that iniciative to start, to do it for him.

Thank You
some see's the problem at hand
i think you'd find making your own pickups will be both expensive and time consuming, and even if you are successful, which for the first time is unlikely, you could still end up with a horrible pickup.so if you're short on money and time and patience i wouldn't suggest this.

however, there is no way to have tried every single pickup. so maybe if you told what kind of music you play, you're guitar and amp, and what sound you are looking for, we could suggest the pickup for you.

i also think this custom pickup maker is a good idea, i mean if your short on cash you don't want to muck around wasting money on learning how to make pickups, these guys will know what they are doing and are probably your best chance at getting you're perfect pickup.

EDIT: just looked at your gear info and i'd put it down to your guitar, its just a starter.

also theres a case of are you a beginner who just wants to upgrade his cause he thinks its the reason why his guitar playing sucks. not saying that you are, im just saying that is common
Last edited by timfoley at Sep 29, 2010,
i love my guitar

my cheaper one sounds better than my expensive one

i am looking for a new pickup for my other guitar.

and read my earlier posts

if i find that a pup that sounds good ill look at the specs and majority of the time the specs are close. like if i don't like a high bass, medium mids and medium treble then i wouldn't like pups of similar specs make sense? i think so
Well, if you want to start building your own pickups, there have already been plenty of links posted that would help you with that. As for tailoring the sound of the pickup, that you will need to find out yourself, to find what you like, as pretty much everything in the pickup will change the sound, from the thickness of the wire, to the thickness of the enamel coating, to the width and length and height of the coil, to where the wires are on the bobbin, the amount of wraps used, the kind of magnet used, the kind of wax used to pot it, and the list goes on.

So if you want to make your own pickup, no one is stopping you, but know, it's going to be time consuming, money consuming, and a trial and error process that may or may not be successful. That is why we suggest having someone who has already tried and tried and knows pickups inside and out, all of their little nuanaces, who can shape the tone how they like, saving you a lot of time, and a lot of money.

Maybe though, you could just get a 10 band EQ or something and set that to how you like, as it will allow you to tailor the bass, mids and treble to how you want it, and all the frequencies in between.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
maybe

ill figure something out

and for all you guys how say it is difficult and not to do it

i say **** you, how else do you think we have the pickup?

TRAIL AND ERROR
I don't think anyone said it was too hard, just a lot of work, a lot of time, and a lot of money. A lot more money than you would spend buying a different pickup, even a custom handwound one.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA

i am looking for something that has a high output at least 13k, AlNiCo, high treble medium mids, and a low bass. Such as a SD JB (T/M/B = 8/6/5). But it has to be a single coil.
I was thinking about buying a pup with similar specs but has a lower output and just wind it untill it is hot enough for me. Like a SD STK-S4 Stack Plus but then just wind it more times

hmmmm i think this might be it,

maybe you should thigns more carefully
Quote by GibsonKid213
hmmmm i think this might be it,

maybe you should thigns more carefully

maybe you should lose the atitude when people are trying to help you.
ever think i might not want to search this whole thread looking for that, i think you should just be greatful people are helping you instead of being such a douche everytime someone asks you a question or gives advice.
Last edited by timfoley at Sep 30, 2010,
Here's what you can do then: 1 Get a pickup you at least like the sounds of a little.
2: Get a TON of 43 gauge copper wire (that's what I used for mine)
3: Attach the end of the wire in the pickup to the copper wire you got.
4: Wind it around about 500 times.
5: Test it and fix.
Ts, you're a douche.

I can sum up this thread.

TS: Help meh, i wantz a pickupz with this!

UG: *gives good advice, but asks questions*

TS: **** YOU IM A DICK!

UG: Stop being a dick, what about this.

TS: YOU'RE WRONG! GIVE ME ADVICE.

UG: *gives better advice*

TS: YOU"RE WRONG BLARGGG!!!!

ts, if you're not going to listen to anything anyone is saying, and going to be a complete prick anytime anyone asks you anything or tells you something, i recommend find a big tall building, go to the top, Jump off.
In a crooked little town,
They were lost and never found.
Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves,
On the ground.