So does anybody use Guitar Pro? Will I get that much more out of it than just playing tabs?

thanks
It's a very good program. You can take instruments out, change tempos, volumes, etc. It's a good tool.
Also great for putting your own ideas down.
Well, the tabs for Guitar Pro still mostly shuck/are wildly incorrect, but it does have its merits, like being able to control tempo and set up training loops to play to. Also, it can be useful for writing down ideas and such.
I use Power Tab cause I'm a cheap bastard.
Quote by Primus2112

*lolstack*

I had to do that instead of a real lolstack, because the number of lols would exceed the image limit. But dear god

Quote by Burgery
Well he's not a bad teacher, it just seems like he really doesn't know an awful lot about what he's teaching...
I don't know if this is against the rules but I know a site that has guitar pro tabs up on the whole site.
Quote by Primus2112

*lolstack*

I had to do that instead of a real lolstack, because the number of lols would exceed the image limit. But dear god

Quote by Burgery
Well he's not a bad teacher, it just seems like he really doesn't know an awful lot about what he's teaching...
Ever get into a situation where you look at a tab, and there are so many bends and notes that it is hard to figure out just how it is supposed to sound, or what/how you play that tab to get it to actually sound like the song? Guitar Pro nearly eliminates that. I can't stand to use regular tabs after using Guitar Pro.
Quote by bnull24
Ever get into a situation where you look at a tab, and there are so many bends and notes that it is hard to figure out just how it is supposed to sound, or what/how you play that tab to get it to actually sound like the song? Guitar Pro nearly eliminates that. I can't stand to use regular tabs after using Guitar Pro.

So true.
Quote by Primus2112

*lolstack*

Quote by Burgery
They (Guitar Pro, Powertab, Tux Guitar) are all good programs but I'd recommend, especially if you're pretty new to guitar, sticking to normal tabs. Why? I have issues with programs that make you play along with them. Having used a few in the past, I can tell you that they're not all good. As a result you might end up learning something wrong that sounds ok until you try playing along with the actual recording.
Unless you're a quick learner or at a level where you're able to adapt and work around tabs I'd suggest sticking to the standard ASCII stuff. However, there are many excellent tabs (in GP, PT, TG) so I don't want to put you off completely, just understand that, despite playing you a decent version, they may not be as accurate as they sound.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Good for sight reading.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
I never worked out how to get the tempo right, whenever I tried recording. But I know nothing about music theory.

So basically, if you are an idiot, do not buy it.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
Okay .. thanks everybody .. that was very helpful. Still not sure whether I want to spend the money, but at least it'll be an educated non-decision.
It's definately worth the money, you can do a lot more than you'll ever get from regular tab.

Speed trainer for those hard licks that's really handy if you find it hard to hear them note for note and applying regular tabs to it. There's a lot of useful tools like chord dictionary, keys, mode shapes so you can learn alot more than just songs.

It's an awesome tool for writing down your ideas and creating drums or bass lines for your own songs without requiring the instruments.
Also if you take off the guitar part for the bit you wanna learn, you basically have your own backing track.

That's just some of it, I'm not doing an infomercial, but I would definately reccommend buying it, then regular tab will just make you angry