Hi, I've been researching equipment lately, looking at many high end multi-effects pedals such as the Line6 Pod x3Live and the Boss GT-10. The guitarist in my band always tells me that it's better not to go for digital equipment like the GT-10 because things like that aren't reliable for gigging and such. (and apparently, digital equipment craps out and all.) Can anyone tell me about gigging with big digital pedals like those? why it's good or bad?
My friend gig's with a Johnson modeling amp and something goes wrong with (hissing noises, random model switching, or it just dies completely) every 4th or 5th show that I go to. I dunno how Johnson's hold up compared to those amps, though.
It sucks hard to have your presets go missing just before the show too.
Guitars are like my babies... except without that useless baby meat...
Digital multi fx are very practical and (usually fairly reliable) offer a lot of value for money, they tend to just "not get there" with tone or dynamics.

Most guitarists on this site will tell you that a valve amp and the pedals you desire is what you really should be going for. I would for sure. Although you get thousands of features and functions with multi fx boards, they just don't have the rich harmonics and dynamics that you get with a nice tube amp and your pedals. They also just don't seem to have the same companionship that you can get out of a amp and pedal rig (although this sounds silly, I like to have a relationship with my gear and digital multi fx rigs just seem a bit sterile and computer like. )
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Sep 28, 2010,
I have a BOSS GT10 and ts pretty incredible tone wise and have never had any problems. Havnt gigged with it yet but have practiced in a band with it.
Your guitarist doesn't know what he's talking about. The GT-10 and X3 LIVE (hence the LIVE in the name) are built for gigging. Both have metal chassis and pretty solid switches.

You won't have any reliabity problems with either of them.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Your guitarist doesn't know what he's talking about. The GT-10 and X3 LIVE (hence the LIVE in the name) are built for gigging. Both have metal chassis and pretty solid switches.

You won't have any reliabity problems with either of them.

Don't get me wrong, sorry, i wasn't clear enough. He didn't say they were bad pedals or anything or that they ALWAYS crap out, he just said that with digital things like this, things can tend to go wrong, Like someone else up there, he recomended a tube amp with a few pedals (ex: 6505 with a tubescreamer and ISP decimator)
No problems with digital stuff live. Though it's good to have backups for everything when you gig.