I've been looking into the new Slash AFD100, which resulted in listening to some Appetite for Destruction. So, I decided to record a short clip to see how close of a Slash tone I could come up with. Soundclick is being lame and won't let me sign in, so I had to upload to my UG profile for the time being.

The mix is very rough, I know. This was more of a tone test than anything. Let me know what you all think.

80's Delight

Here's the soundclick upload, since it finally let me in.
Last edited by Guitarmiester at Sep 28, 2010,
I was searching to see who else knew about the new Marshall amp, and I saw this thread.

That is one of the best imitations of a GNR/80's thrash I've heard.

Damn nice.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
I was searching to see who else knew about the new Marshall amp, and I saw this thread.

That is one of the best imitations of a GNR/80's thrash I've heard.

Damn nice.

You resparked my interest in the AFD100. I pretty much forgot about it. Is there release date for it yet?

Thanks for the compliment! I never got around to adding to that.

Quote by TechnicolorType
I wouldn't say a superb Slash tone but definitely fantastic.

Thanks! It's definitely not a Slash replica, more of a big 80's inspired guitar tone. The PodXT may be a thing of the past, but that doesn't mean you can't dial in some great tones.
I liked it more than a Slash style tone. Well, I was speaking for the lead. The rhythm is more slashlike. But that was on a pod? Good gosh. The lead sounds pretty great. Sticking it in my playlist if you don't mind.
The ADFT100 is out right now. You can buy it for a measly 2000USD.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by TechnicolorType
I liked it more than a Slash style tone. Well, I was speaking for the lead. The rhythm is more slashlike. But that was on a pod? Good gosh. The lead sounds pretty great. Sticking it in my playlist if you don't mind.

That's cool to hear, especially since the lead wasn't my main focus at the time. I was trying to come up with a decent 80's rhythm tone. The lead was sort of a last minute addition. My PodXT is my go-to for recording. It takes some patience, but there's a lot of great tones to be had.

I don't mind you adding it to your playlist. That motivates me to fine tune both patches and try to put together something a little longer.

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
The ADFT100 is out right now. You can buy it for a measly 2000USD.

I'm going to have to hunt one down, I had no idea they're finally out. That price tag isn't surprising for a Marshall.
i hate to be a nuisance, but can you explain precisely how you went about recording this? or rather all of your soundclick stuff. i mean like, gear and process.

everything sounds like crystal clear studio quality stuff and recently im trying to build a bit of a recording setup. ive already got a really nice 64bit PC and am looking at what to get next to give me that studio quality sound at home.

thanks in advance, you sound ****in great
(signature removed, please choose another)
Quote by player o slayer
i hate to be a nuisance, but can you explain precisely how you went about recording this? or rather all of your soundclick stuff. i mean like, gear and process.

everything sounds like crystal clear studio quality stuff and recently im trying to build a bit of a recording setup. ive already got a really nice 64bit PC and am looking at what to get next to give me that studio quality sound at home.

thanks in advance, you sound ****in great

My recording setup is extremely basic. Here's the rundown:

1. I'll run guitar and bass directly into a Line6 PodXT.

2. 1/4" Stereo outputs on PodXT fed to inputs on my soundcard for monitoring purposes only.

3. I use the PodXT's USB connection as the input for recording. It's clearer and has no excess noise that I'd get when using the input from the soundcard.

4. Everything is recorded using Adobe Audition. Not sure which version it is. I've been using it for years and felt no reason to upgrade. I can upload VSTs and any other audio content into it with ease.

5. Drums are recorded with EzDrummer. All my drum tracks are basic. I'm not one to sit and program out a drum track that takes longer than the entire recording process.

I have other equipment for micing my amps and everything, but it's not possible to get the results I want with my lame neighbors. If you have any other questions or I missed anything, feel free to PM me.

Quote by Evil_Magician
Not really Slash but really great tone nevertheless

While we're stuck at the 80s
check out my very 80s track hehe :P
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1385466

Thanks. It wasn't really meant to be a Slash clone, yet more of an 80's inspired tone from listening to some of 80's music that's managed to remain on my iTunes. I'll check your 80's track later tonight. What'd you use to record?