So my friend brings his newly aquired guitar round for me to see and I check it out and it seems to play fine.

But then I notice a gap between the underside of the fretboard and the body of the guitar. Just wondered if this was a fault or if they are made like this. If they are intensionaly made like this then I have to say it's kinda poor build quality.

It's a Schecter 006 Deluxe here's a MS paint diagram of what I mean by the gap...
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
How big is the gap? It might just be a little space under the fretboard overhang and if the guitar still plays fine, is intonated and stays in tune, your friend really shouldn't care.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
well on some guitars its intentional...

i think schecter are POS but i imagine it intentional.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I see it on my lower end guitars, but not on my Jackson. It's appears to be solely based on aesthetics.
a lot of times 24 fret guitars will have that
Rig:
Jay Turser ES-335 w/ 2 Burstbuckers OR
J&E Custom w Duncan SSL3 and SHL59>
MXR Dynacomp>
Ibanez TS-9>
Dunlop Crybaby>
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
effects loop:
Boss BD-2>
Danelectro Vibe>
Boss DD-6>
Morley Volume

my shit screams.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How big is the gap? It might just be a little space under the fretboard overhang and if the guitar still plays fine, is intonated and stays in tune, your friend really shouldn't care.

The gap is about 1 cm or less and the intonation is out. I said I'd try and adjust his bridge saddles next time he's round to improve the intonation.

As long as it's just aesthetics then it's fine. I just don't want my friend to be holding onto a botched up guitar.
Peavey 6505+ 112
then that is a fault.

return it?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
then that is a fault.

return it?

Because of the intonation problem? To be honest, with it being a low range guitar which is straight from factory I kinda thought the intonation wouldn't be too good. My friend should be able to return in no problem but what's the chances of me getting one exactly the same.

I think I may have a go at setting it up next time he brings it round and we'll go from there.
Peavey 6505+ 112
well i would just get rid and get another and repeat until you get a good one.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

Or you could actually take your time checking out guitars until you find a good one and not just keep buying and getting rid of them.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
he said from the factory,

that to me suggests he bought it online.

meh.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
Or you could actually take your time checking out guitars until you find a good one and not just keep buying and getting rid of them.

I think he means sending it back and getting them to send out a replacement.

If my friend does this it will take possibly over a week and there's no guaranty of getting a replacement as this model is now discontinued.

So I guess having a little fiddle with it first will do no harm.
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by mikey_360 at Sep 28, 2010,
seriously, how can someone bu a guitar without checking it out first?
Quote by mikey_360
I think he means sending it back and getting them to send out a replacement.

If my friend does this it will take possibly over a week and there's no guaranty of getting a replacement as this model is now discontinued.

So I guess having a little fiddle with it first will do no harm.

yeah i did.

if your implying i dont know how to find a good guitar i suggest your zip your vagina

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0

I love the horrible advice given on this forum, because if you can't fix a simple setup problem, you have to return it like a whiny bitch.

The gap is intentional, it allows for the neck to have 24 frets with a smaller neck pocket to allow for a neck pickup to be fitted farther from the bridge pickup.

most guitars of that price range will come from the factory with horrible intonation, just take the 30 minutes that it takes to do it and get it over with. it's really not hard at all.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
if you pay money for a product you expect it to be of a certain level of quality.

yeah, a simple intonation problem is an easy fix.

however he is saying the gap is about 1cm...

thats a big ****ing gap and does not sound legit to me,

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Tom 1.0 has it right. I had a bass with an overhang like that, but it was all of a few millimeters. The gap he's describing makes it sound like a pretty bad defect.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I bet he's exaggerating and it's really a few mm

Gap's like that aren't mistakes. If it's an angled neck then you will definitely have a gap between the body and the fretboard overhang. It's just how it works.

TS, take a picture.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Steve Holt

Gap's like that aren't mistakes. If it's an angled neck then you will definitely have a gap between the body and the fretboard overhang. It's just how it works.

TS, take a picture.

especially with a carved top and a TOM, a larger gap makes sense.

on my schecter omen 6, which also has a TOM and carved top, it has 5mm from the top of the guitar to the bottom of the fretboard, and 9.5mm from the top of the guitar to the top of the fretboard. my guitar is pretty much as close to perfectly set up as any $300 can get
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
While I'm not familiar with that model guitar I'd hazard a guess it's bolt on neck? If so the raised fingerboard and tongue are to ensure clearance over the body and neck pu. You can expect this kind of thing in lower end guitars as the design has to include for manufacturing variances.
Moving on.....
Quote by Steve Holt

TS, take a picture.

Your probably right as I don't have the guitar infront of me right now. Next time he's round I'll take a picture.
Peavey 6505+ 112