I know this is going to erupt into it, but I figure just in case I'll ask this not to turn into an "Are guns bad/Is the second amendment good or bad?". I'm not looking for your opinion on guns and the amendment, I'm not looking for your opinion on my opinion, and I'm not asking if you think people having the right to ban firearms on their property would be a good or bad idea. I just want an answer to something I'm curious about.

Basically, can people, businesses, venues, etc. ban guns and other firearms on property they own? I'm pretty sure that Freedom Of Speech isn't fully valid on private property(Hence why some stores will throw you out for cussing out an infant), but I'm curious as to whether this holds true for the second amendment as well as the first?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 71-73
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 1-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-5
Well it's a simple case of "my house my rules". But "my house my rules" doesn't equal national law.
im not sure if they can but i propose that they should have that right.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by necrosis1193

Basically, can people, businesses, venues, etc. ban guns and other firearms on property they own?

Uh..... yes?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

To answer: I don't think they can ban guns per se; But if you were to have a gun, they could just barre you from being on their property.

But realistically it would depend on the laws.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I believe so. I've noticed a lot of no weapons/firearms signs at bigger stores like Wal-Mart and Target. Plus, I think you have to get a special permit to even be able to (lawfully) carry a gun on your person in public.
How many times do I have to say this? The Constitution only protects you from the government. Amendments are not laws, they're restrictions on laws.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Sure, you cuould resrict guns, but i'd like to see you try to take the persons gun away
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Of course they can. Most of the amendments to the constitution are only applicable to the government itself. A private institution can fire you for saying something against their policy; did you think it was illegal for a concert venue to search every single person that walks through their doors?

So yes, it is well within the right of an individual to prohibit guns being brought onto their property.

Quote by rgrockr
How many times do I have to say this? The Constitution only protects you from the government. Amendments are not laws, they're restrictions on laws.

More of exceptions to the Constitution...
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Sep 28, 2010,
Of course they can. The beautiful thing about private property is you set the rules. When Ohio passed the CCW law, a lot of businesses put up "no gun" signs in there window. However, a lot of places including our mall, several banks, will allow you to carry.
Oh, and open carry is legal Ohio also. No permit required as long the gun is visible. You can only conceal it, and drive with it on you if you have your permit.
What The Hell Am I Gana Do In A Zombie Apocalypse Without A Gun!!!!!!! nuff said
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
If I own a house or business, I would like the right to say that people can't bring that shit on my property.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Well it's a simple case of "my house my rules". But "my house my rules" doesn't equal national law.

If your in someone's house with a gun you don't really have to follow the rules
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by zippidyduda
If I own a house or business, I would like the right to say that people can't bring that shit on my property.

If somebody wanted to shoot your place up, a sign isn't going to stop them.
Quote by JDawg
If somebody wanted to shoot your place up, a sign isn't going to stop them.

But nothing stops you from keeping a shotgun under your counter either. The "no guns in my store" rules are just as much to keep someone from freaking out if they see the guy in the back is concealing a pistol (or so it seems to me) as they are to deter crime, which, as you say, they aren't really all that effective against.
Quote by :Vicious--
how did u guys get from pit flags to mace windu raping kids using an ice cream truck

Quote by -Vogel-
"Don't touch my buttsecks"
Well what kind of 'private' property would you find it acceptable in?

Cause if someone walks into a business with it, they most likely are there to shoot somebody
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by guitar999111
But nothing stops you from keeping a shotgun under your counter either. The "no guns in my store" rules are just as much to keep someone from freaking out if they see the guy in the back is concealing a pistol (or so it seems to me) as they are to deter crime, which, as you say, they aren't really all that effective against.

The signs only affect law abiding citizens. I've open carried several times without people freaking out. You get looks, but why would someone freak out?
In the state of florida any home owner, or business owner have the right to refuse anyone onto their property if the person is carrying a weapon of any kind. this does not include law enforcement or military personnel.
Since when does anybody really own any property, last time I checked, everyone still pays property taxes, which if you don't pay, the government takes your land.

Businesses are allowed to prohibit guns on their property, and so are individuals of property, ever see the sign "No Trespassing, Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again".

Only thing the government can't do is ban you from owning a firearm of any kind, according to the constitution. Doesn't say private businesses can't prohibit them on their property.