Hey guys! I've been looking for a good half-stack, but I'm not sure where to turn. I've put a decent amount of money into my pedals, so I really don't want a modeling amp or anything with a ton of bells and whistles.

All I really want out of an amp is for it to sound good clean, and to take distortion well when I run my pedals through it.

Suggestions?
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
What kind of music.... Metal, rock, jazz???
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
Whoops! Let's say $900, though cheaper alternatives are very much welcome.

And metal is what I'd like to use it for.
Don your antithesis spectacle, your backwards monocle, and traipse forward to victory.
I hate to be the guy that's like "why do you want a half stack?" But srsly. Why do you want a half stack? They're a PAIN IN THE ASS. But they sure do look cool. Consider a quarter stack?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
You won't be able to get a quality halfstack for $900 unless you go used
I leik music
If you want an amp that can take pedals well I'd actually suggest a Marshall JCM2000 or even their new MA series.

If you want an amp thats good on it's own then ENGL or Mesa Boogie.

I think with your budget you should go for the Marshall MA, they're not bad for their price. Or Bugera, but these are better standalone and don't take pedals so well imho.
I'd steer away from the Valveking after owning one for 3 years unless you want to do some mods. The JSX isn't a bad idea however. I'd also steer from the JCM2000.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Oh and how could I forget. Peavey 6505, if you are aiming for metal this amp is pretty OSSIM. You should be able to pick one up for 600 bucks used.
Yeah dude, pedal distortion almost never compares to amp distortion.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I noticed in your OP ProjectileQuiet you are in Mass. and like Sludgey Metal. Are you close to Boston at all? You can find a nice setup for $900. I would not look at the Valveking or the Marshall MA. Do you gig and need 4 speakers?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I noticed in your OP ProjectileQuiet you are in Mass. and like Sludgey Metal. Are you close to Boston at all? You can find a nice setup for $900. I would not look at the Valveking or the Marshall MA. Do you gig and need 4 speakers?

I'm in Worcester, though I'm very likely moving away within a year. I'm always up for jamming, though.

Gigging is the goal, and that's why I'm moving - there's no metal scene here that I can find, and I'm hoping that another city will have more musicians. I'm probably going to wait until I relocate before I get myself a bigger rig, too.

Any opinions on Mesa cabs/amps? I think I remember Isis using them at their shows, and that's definitely a tone that I like.