Page 1 of 2
What would suit my friends needs better as a bedroom player?
He's planning on buying the peavey 6505+ halfstack with a crate 412 cab, please guys, help me talk some sense into him.
Some guy who works at a music shop told him all the tone comes from the head, and if he put celestions in the crate it would be perfect D:

Please, and thank you

EDIT: thanks everyone, we all talked my buddy into the combo saved him a couple hundred bucks. Thanks guys, you never fail me
Last edited by TheDefected at Oct 6, 2010,
head + halfstack will blow your head off. just like most tube amps if you want it to really 'breathe' and sing you need it on at least 3 or 4, pref higher. but i'll have my 6505+ on maybe 1 or 1.5 and itll be too loud, mainly cause youve got the spread of 4 speakers overtaking the room. a 6505 as a bedroom amp is lol, i can only ever practice when nobody else is home or they cant think

if you wanna be a bedroom player with a half stack i hope your mate has a loud cd player to play along to haha. a combo would sound good but just have less spread.
bedroom player? he don't need a half stack lol...he could get the 112 60w but thats still pretty damn loud for bedroom practice.

edit ...come to think of it, i had a half stack in my bedroom when I was just startingas a young teen in the 70s, a Marshall 50w head and cab in red with the ceramic logos. Damn, wish I still had that.
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 28, 2010,
if hes thinking of playing in a band in future get a half stack but for home applications (especially if youre with roomates or parents) a half stack is impractical
He's still dead set into the halfstack D:
He thinks the combo will be the same as his ORIGINAL Spider ONE combo.

He thinks he's gonna need to upgrade soon because the 6505 combo will be really bad.
Well, a halfstack will sound better, but not with a cheap Crate. For bedroom playing and bedroom playing only, he's stupid to get a stack.

The combo will be more than loud enough for a band either way. The only thing i'd do is put a better speaker in it if he really wants to.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well, a halfstack will sound better, but not with a cheap Crate. For bedroom playing and bedroom playing only, he's stupid to get a stack.

The combo will be more than loud enough for a band either way. The only thing i'd do is put a better speaker in it if he really wants to.

I've tried to make this point to him many, many, many times.
He's just ignorant, and listening to a guy who's been playing longer than me, because he "has more experience."

I'm just trying to save him money, and hassle.
He has a cheapo $220 Ibanez too, I'm also trying to tell him if he buys the combo, he can buy a decent guitar too. :/
D: He's sitting here reading this calling me a douchebag, because he thinks I don't want him having a nicer half stack than him.

Just trying to be nice u.u
sorry to hear your friends ignorant! but how about if he gets the head and a decent 2x12?
or even gets the head used and a decent 2x12 used?
either way he doesnt need a 120 watt amp if he's just a bedroom player my rocker 30 gets too loud past about volume 2-3

he could get the 112 combo a decent guitar and a decent 2x12 all for about the same price
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
I have the 5150 2x12 combo. I don't gig right now. It's more than too loud. 60 watts is plenty. I actually really like the sound of the 1x12 as well. Toss a good speaker in it and get a better guitar. You'll be soooo much happier. Stacks are almost pointless. Unless you're gigging bigger venues or have management controlling your image.
Even with just a 2x12 cab the thing is loud. I run my 6505+ through a mesa 2x12 cab and I play with a full band (and usually drown them out) with the volume on 3....

This is a loud ass amp - even the combos.

My other guitarist friend has the 2x12 combo version at 60W and is still a monster.

Try out the 112 combo or get an attenuator to keep it low. These are not bedroom level amps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
dude, even if i was gigging constantly, do you kow how heavy and large this crap is? a 60 watt tube amp head or combo is 50+ pounds easy. a 4x12 cab is heavy and very large. you gotta transport all this junk. its a huge pain. plus, a 6 watt 1x12 is loud enough to blow away most gigs nd still sond good if its a solid amp.

my roommate giggs at the most packed college bars in charleston to probably 300ish people sometimes and he still doesnt need to turn his 40 watt 1x12 hot rod deluxe all the way up. he doesnt want a bigger amp. keep in mind, he has the full PA setup, 3 guitars, FX, mixer, etc all in his car. he would need to rent a u haul for gigs if he had a stack.

and lastly, quality matters. i would rather play the amp through 1-2 GOOD speakers than 4 crappy ones. youtube certain guitar speakers. you can tell they REALLY affect tone.

that amp for the bedroom is still too loud by itself. my 22 watt tube amp is too loud for the bedroom not even at haflway. has your friend even played through a nice tube amp before?
get the head.

the 6505+ heads are all made in the USA iirc and the combos are MIC and have had a few teething problems.

tell him to get the head and then a 2nd hand avatar cab or something.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Hey Friend of The Defected, You are going to make a big mistake if you get a 6505+ Head. A half stack is overkill. Yeah it looks cool but really, come on dude. You will NEVER EVER get to crank it for tube break up if you live with your parents. Dont worry about "whoever has more experience knows more ****" . It may be true that this fella could know more than your friend The Defected here, but your friend is just looking out for you and is trying to help you make a good financial decision. The uber elite expert you speak of probably doesnt realize that you are only doing bedroom jamming.

To The Defected: I dont know where he gets spider ONE combo from comparison-wise. The spider is the WORST cheap modeling solid state DIGITAL piece of junk on the market. The 6505+ is probably one of the BEST Hi-Gain tube combos on the market, for a reasonable price too. The 6505+ is not known for issues like the spider either. They are quite reliable. His comparison is irrational and unfactual.

To Friend: The combo has plenty of volume for bedroom playing and you get tube break up at a lower volume. AND you can get a new guitar with after-market pick ups instead of your cheap ibanez that wont sound the greatest with your new tube amp. Oh and instead of replacing 4 speakers, you can just replace 1 speaker with a celestion vintage 30. $$$ saved, and more towards a better guitar. Its not a matter of if your friend has a better amp or not, its getting the best, most practical amp/tone you can get in todays economy. Especially if you are a TEENAGER in your parent's house. I'm 15 by the way.

Get the combo, you won't regret it.
you dont want to crank a tube head made for metal...

its all about pre amp distortion, not power amp saturation...

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
IMO I would say either the 1X12 or a head and 2X12 cabinet. I have found the 2X12 combo to be just so damn heavy. I would much rather take two trips with a head and cab then ever lug another 2X12 around again, lmao. Although the head is quite loud, I ahve found that you can get a decent somoewhat low volume tone out of it. Right now though I am running a Boss GT 10, into the effects return for all my tones and shit, but thats just for practicing.

Also, since I do play quite a bit, it is always cool in my situation, to have the 4X12 because when bands from out of town come in to play, we provide tha cab backline for them, so they dn't have to worry about loading cabinets when they come play here. And the same is vice versa when we go play out of town, they provide cabinets for us. Great little system here on the east coast as it seems alot of bands are great at allowing other bands to use their cabs, just bring your own heads!

My two cents.
hmm other than everything being already said i may add that if im playin in my bed room. i am playing thu this Solid state amp... 10 watts by squier but the point is I NEVER go past 1... on a 10 watt SS amp! imagine how loud would a 120 (!) watt TUBE amp be.. with 4x12 or even 2x12
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'm sure it has been said but a new $1,200 6505+ head on top of a Crate 4x12 makes no sense what so ever.

He thinks it'll be the same as a nice marshall, or orange cab, if he puts v30's in it.
Just say "fine, waste some money" and when he crys because he realises what he's done, laugh.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
This thread seems a bit silly so far. It's really a personal preference thing. A 60w 1x12 combo version will be a little quieter than a 120w head version of the same amp, but not by a huge amount. Weight and space are a bigger issue - the combo will be a little easier to move. In terms of good sounding speaker setups, a Crate cab loaded with unnamed Celestions (hopefully, he can pick) would probably be better than the mystery meat 12" that Peavey uses in the combo. But since the 6505+ is basically a SLO wannabe, neither is really ideal. Something like an Avatar with a quad of Eminence Legend V1216s would be clutch.

OPs friend is overestimating the difference between the combo and the head/cab, but if you're going to do something a little crazy as a kid buying a big amp and 4x12 and rocking out isn't the worst choice you could make.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
*Inconspicuous cough* I have a 5150 2x12 for sale Seriously though, a half stack for bedroom playing is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention sitting the brand new 6505+ on a shite crate seems a little naive to me. The 6505+ 112 combo would be the perfect amp for him.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by Tom 1.0
you dont want to crank a tube head made for metal...

its all about pre amp distortion, not power amp saturation...

Of course SOMEBODY just has to shoot me down Yes I know that Metal Tube amps are all about pre amp saturation and not power amp, BUT you cant say that it doesnt sound better when cranked, Yes, yes you do want to crank a tube amp made for metal. For the sole purpose of saturation, no, for the purpose of sheer awesomness, HELL YES.
The head with a good 2x12 like a Mesa would suit him just fine,
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Just let him buy it then.

People are stupid - fact of life.

At some point, he'll see that he's wasted money. Until then, just sit back and laugh at his ignorance
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
And the funny thing is how there is both Matrix AND 311 in here...trying to convince him
Quote by ExhaledFate
And the funny thing is how there is both Matrix AND 311 in here...trying to convince him

The funnier thing, is that he isn't listening.
He says that that this "Nathan" guy knows more than random people on the internet
^^..oh it's Nathan...well in that case we all have no say whatsoever
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
I also have a 5150 combo 60w and weighs 80lbs.

let him get that, than he will crank the preamp gain and complain about it being fizzy.

these amps have a circuit that bleeds the fizz once the master is above 4-5..than it really opens up !

however it will also blow out the windows at that level.

bad choice for a bedroom amp, also not the best clean tone out there
For what it's worth, I have two 120w tube amps... one being a 2x12 combo and the other a 4x12 half stack.

I can't really use either at home, given that I live somewhere where other people live.

You are severely underestimating just how bleeding loud these things are.

I also have no idea what the power tube breakup in these amps sounds like. I have never turned them all the way up.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
people in general dont understand how loud amps are. almost any tube amp is too loud for home use depending on the setup, let along ANY 60 watt tube. thats nuts. keeping an amp on a master of 1 will not get you ANY good tone no matter what.

imo, bedroom playing should be NO LARGER than 25 watts of tube power. end of story. ive played through em and you can get decent sound at a reasonable volume. they are also giggable depending on the cab/mic setup.

larger than 25 watts (assuming its quality) is a gig worthy amp for most bars and smaller INDOOR areas.

30-50 watts youcan do almost anything. 50+ you can play large venues/arenas depending on your cab/mic setup depending on the quality of your stuff.

i mean jesus people like the edge mic a 30 watt vox and play huge stadiums.
Just let him waste his money. My 50w 112 valveking blows me away on 3 but if he wants to play his $1200 amp at whisper-quiet volume and get $12.00 tone out of it it's his problem.
well the problem here is that people dont know cause they lack experience. they can hear sound clips but that doenst mean owning one will produce the same thing.

how do you really understand what it is like to overdrive an amp untill you crank one loud enough to overdrive it? and to do that, you basically need to play at gig level volume (ie - loud enough to be heard over a full drum kit).

everythin g changes at louder volume. your effects may sound different, your amp will sound different, etc.

with a large tube amp and say a small venue, you may still play live and STILL not turn your amp up loud enough to really hear what it sounds like. its like gettinga ferrari enzo and just letting it idle. thats not driving the car....just like a guy with a 60 watt tube amp and a half stack will neverknow what his equipment sounds like play in small places at low volume.

i mean, these professional guitarists we see with these huge setups....do you realize what is happening? they are so loud on stage they couldnt even ear themselves without ear protection and super expensive in ear monitors. without that they probably coumd never tell what ws going on and or get hearing damage. you cant play a stadium with a full stack next to you and not have to take precautions.

either that or your angus young and your amp is one place and your naked on the ground playing 100 yards away or something......maybe he doesnt need monitors for that. but im just saying.
just let him...he will soon realize that he was wrong that he waste a lot of money and that you told him so.
Quote by truespin
For what it's worth, I have two 120w tube amps... one being a 2x12 combo and the other a 4x12 half stack.

I can't really use either at home, given that I live somewhere where other people live.

You are severely underestimating just how bleeding loud these things are.

I also have no idea what the power tube breakup in these amps sounds like. I have never turned them all the way up.

I have a 60w tube amp. I rarely use it at home, and when I do, it's at 2. That shakes my floor.

They are UNBELIEVABLY loud.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Your friend is stupid.

Sure it is better to get a head and cab so you can get better speakers in the cab, but thats only if you have the money to get some good speakers. If you are on a bugdget the combo is the way to go. He will only need the 112 for sure. I gig and am in a band and I wish I saved myself some money and got the 112. The 212 is crazy loud and I can't even put it at 1 when other people are home. I have it at like .4 when people are home and like 1.5-2 when it's just me. With the band its at 3.5 and at gigs its at 4.

There is definitely no need for your friend to have a half stack unless he actually gets a decent cab. a head and a 212 cab could be an idea but if he's not going to get good speakers in there he might as well save himself some money and get a combo.

Seriously though, tell your friend to stop being dumb.
Page 1 of 2