I was looking around and noticed some amps come in either stack or combo. I was wondering if there's a difference between getting the same amp as either a combo or seperate head+cab.

I'm thinking about getting a new amp for my band and stacks are usually what you see on stage, but combos are just oooohhhh sooooo much lighter and easier to move around.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Stack: Amp and speakers in two separate boxes
Combo: Amp and speakers in one box

there are no major differences in combo/stack variations of the same amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Combos are usually cheaper, but with a head, you can get a good cab and it will sound better than a combo usually
They will probably sound a little different too because a combo will be an open back, while a cab will usually have a closed back.

Also a cab will tend to have better speakers on higher watt amps because it can distribute the power onto 2-4 speakers instead of 1-2.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Last edited by I am wet at Sep 29, 2010,
for instance the 6505 head & cab vs the 6505 combo?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
it all depends on the cab, the beauty of having a head and cab is that you can get the exact cab you want with the speakers you want but a good head on a crap cab will not sound as good as a 2x12 combo with decent speakers stock
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
A combo usually is less wattage. 6505+ 112 combo is 60 watts, 6505+ head is 120 watts
-------------
--The Rig--
Peavey 5150 Head
BBE 362 SONIC MAXIMIZER
dbx 266xl COMPRESSOR GATE
Q215 PEAVEY EQ
Mesa 4x12 Standard Rectifier cab
ESP,LTD Viper 400 baritone (fitted with EMG81,85 actives)
-------------
Quote by utmbarto
I was looking around and noticed some amps come in either stack or combo. I was wondering if there's a difference between getting the same amp as either a combo or seperate head+cab.

I'm thinking about getting a new amp for my band and stacks are usually what you see on stage, but combos are just oooohhhh sooooo much lighter and easier to move around.

Combos aren't always easier to move around. Especially when you start lugging 2x12 tube combos around. Truth be told, I'd much rather move a half stack around than, say, an AC30. You get casters, better weight distribution when you need to lift it, and on top of that you have better modularity. if you want to try a new head you don't have to buy a whole new freaking rig, and same goes if you want a new cab.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
A head and 2x12 cab will be easier to move around compared to a tube combo. That bitch is heavy as shit
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
1/4 stacks ftw. I thought I'd lose a bunch of low end when i traded down from a 4x12, but it wasn't even that noticeable, tbh.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.