I want to drop a pair of EMG 81/85's into my Epiphone SG special, which only has a volume and tone knob. As it seems right now, the package comes with four controls:

*25k long shaft volume/tone controls (2)
*25k split shaft volume/tone (standard) controls (2)

Could somebody explain this to me? Do I need all four knobs, which would call for modification of the guitar? Or is each pair of knobs for a certain setup?

I'm also aware I would need space for a 9v battery as they are active pickups.
Don't ever respect conventional thought without reason.
http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-ZWset_r0230-0039C.pdf there you go, the Zakk Wylde setups installation manual. In there find the spot where there is only one volume and on tone, and go by that.

That way you have one master vol and master tone, that control both of the pickups. With the four pots, you can make both of the pickups have their own vol and tone, and of course if you wan to make four pots come through you're guitar instead of two, you have to do some modifications.

And about the 9v battery is usually fits the electronics compartment nicely, so really no need to worry about that.
Quote by gib_ber
http://www.emgpickups.com/content/wiringdiagrams/EMG-ZWset_r0230-0039C.pdf there you go, the Zakk Wylde setups installation manual. In there find the spot where there is only one volume and on tone, and go by that.

That way you have one master vol and master tone, that control both of the pickups. With the four pots, you can make both of the pickups have their own vol and tone, and of course if you wan to make four pots come through you're guitar instead of two, you have to do some modifications.

And about the 9v battery is usually fits the electronics compartment nicely, so really no need to worry about that.

Good to know. It sounded as if it was optional 2 or 4 but I wanted to be sure. It's a matter of spending $200 and having a straightforward install, or spending $200 and having to get the guitar altered which I can't really afford (Otherwise I'd just have an all together nicer guitar. I'll be transferring these to a much more worthy one some day). Thank you!
Don't ever respect conventional thought without reason.
just an fyi, the zw kit comes with long shaft pots, i don't know what the sg you have has for shaft length (most likely short), but i had to buy a set of short shafts after realizing my error ($25 more) so i didn't have an extra inch of pot shaft sticking up through my guitar.

I think (but not absolutely sure) that if you buy the pickups separately they come with the short shafts (but not so complete of wiring set up as i recall).
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer W/Emg 81/85
Crybaby 535Q
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt W/ Sanpera II
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
MicroKorg
Takamine Egs-330Sc
Yamaha Yas-52
Last edited by KustumKyle at Sep 29, 2010,
You can have any amount of pots you want, up to 2 volume 2 tone (as you only have 2 pickups)

And if you do get long shaft pots, not short shaft, and if it's short shaft you need, get another nut if they don't come with two, and use the two nuts, one on each side of the wood to adjust the height of the shaft sticking through.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
You can have any amount of pots you want, up to 2 volume 2 tone (as you only have 2 pickups)

And if you do get long shaft pots, not short shaft, and if it's short shaft you need, get another nut if they don't come with two, and use the two nuts, one on each side of the wood to adjust the height of the shaft sticking through.

i agree with this only to an extent.
if the compartment is quite large (like many les pauls have) it will work, however, if its a tight narrow fit (like my explorer), then the extra length of the long shaft inside the compartment will take up any room that the battery(s) would need, and a cheap preparation ahead of time could void any need to start routing for a battery compartment.

so, if the sg has a large compartment with plenty of room to fit the battery between the pots or whatever, then long pots are fine, but if its a narrow compartment then just make sure the pots are the right size.
Gear:
Epiphone Explorer W/Emg 81/85
Crybaby 535Q
Peavey Vypyr 75 Watt W/ Sanpera II
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
MicroKorg
Takamine Egs-330Sc
Yamaha Yas-52