Hey guys, i'm playing in a sort of alternative funk band and we're gaining a little popularity over where we live, we have 2 old songs and 1 new one up right now and are hoping to get some more up soon and release an EP in the spring!

http://www.myspace.com/bulletproofponchomb

is our myspace, useful chatter is our new song. i'd love to know what you think!
thanks!
I like It alot, keep up the funky stuff!
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
I'll give you my honest opinion.

I don't really like it. It really doesn't sound very original at all to me. The first song sounds like a total chili peppers rip off. The guitars sound a bit off in a lot of places in all the songs. Vocalist isn't very strong. As a band it just doesn't sound very tight.

It could improve but you guys really just need to get things tighter and it needs a lot of refinement.

I really don't feel any groove at all either, which is an important aspect for this genre of music.

sorry if this seems harsh. ^^obviously some people do like it.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
Quote by yellowshirtguy
I'll give you my honest opinion.

I don't really like it. It really doesn't sound very original at all to me. The first song sounds like a total chili peppers rip off. The guitars sound a bit off in a lot of places in all the songs. Vocalist isn't very strong. As a band it just doesn't sound very tight.

It could improve but you guys really just need to get things tighter and it needs a lot of refinement.

I really don't feel any groove at all either, which is an important aspect for this genre of music.

sorry if this seems harsh. ^^obviously some people do like it.

thanks man
yah this is an older song, it was more a test of our new Pro Tools set up... we have new ones we'll be putting up i'll probably check back in to see what everyone thinks, they're a LOT more developed than these ones, which is why i only really want people hearing our newest one anyhow
The vocals are interesting, and I like them. For some reason, i honestly think of Jeff Buckley, perhaps just the way the vibrato is achieved... and while the above comments are true, the guitars don't sound off. It's good, keep on it.

EDIT: btw, C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317225
Last edited by JDizzle787 at Sep 29, 2010,
I dig it. It's funky, but your recordings are less than solid. When you sit down to record something, you need to make sure that EVERY part is as tight as possible so that when people hear it, it doesn't give an impression that your band is sloppy. From a venues standpoint, they may enjoy the songs, but they will be hesitant to give you the gig because of the general inaccuracy of playing. Make sure you record to a click, and don't be afraid to spend an hour trying to nail one little guitar part to make it sound clean. Also your mixes are very unbalanced towards the left channel, which is quite discomforting to listen to. I had to check to make sure my headphones weren't malfunctioning halfway through because I wasn't sure.

The obvious comparison for your band is the chili peppers. That's definitely not a bad thing at all, even though you may sound a bit derivative of them. As long as you are writing music that you enjoy, no reason to listen to the haters who hate only based upon the genre.

Keep up the music guys! If you would come check out my band Helicopria and leave some love in our thread, it would be much appreciated.
Quote by Windwaker
I dig it. It's funky, but your recordings are less than solid. When you sit down to record something, you need to make sure that EVERY part is as tight as possible so that when people hear it, it doesn't give an impression that your band is sloppy. From a venues standpoint, they may enjoy the songs, but they will be hesitant to give you the gig because of the general inaccuracy of playing. Make sure you record to a click, and don't be afraid to spend an hour trying to nail one little guitar part to make it sound clean. Also your mixes are very unbalanced towards the left channel, which is quite discomforting to listen to. I had to check to make sure my headphones weren't malfunctioning halfway through because I wasn't sure.

The obvious comparison for your band is the chili peppers. That's definitely not a bad thing at all, even though you may sound a bit derivative of them. As long as you are writing music that you enjoy, no reason to listen to the haters who hate only based upon the genre.

Keep up the music guys! If you would come check out my band Helicopria and leave some love in our thread, it would be much appreciated.

thanks man that means a LOT! i think we're improving with quality of recordings a bit, useful chatter was done several months ago and sounds a lot sloppier than lay down, which we just put up last night after recording it. i'll definitely have to check you guys out!
oh and about the RHCP thing thats definitely our heroes, but a lot of our new songs which won't be up for a month or so are more our style, more destinct. liike a rhcp/beastieboys/primus collaberation sound
Quote by mick mars 2
thanks man that means a LOT! i think we're improving with quality of recordings a bit, useful chatter was done several months ago and sounds a lot sloppier than lay down, which we just put up last night after recording it. i'll definitely have to check you guys out!
oh and about the RHCP thing thats definitely our heroes, but a lot of our new songs which won't be up for a month or so are more our style, more destinct. liike a rhcp/beastieboys/primus collaberation sound

mixing still favors the left side heavily on lay down
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
ya for sure! i think when my drummer mixed it he didn't really realise it. ill have to check over it next time i suppose
Hey guys,

I reckon the vocals could do with a lot of tweaking. Get a decent multi-band compression plug-in (there are some really great free vst's out there, but with protools you'll probably need to do something like this: http://www.ehow.com/how_5064228_install-vst-plugins-pro-tools.html to get the free ones to work)
That really makes or breaks a recording.

Also, I like your style but from what's on your myspace I think you need to get tighter as a unit. Maybe just jam out together more often, learn eachother's musical vibes/inclinations a bit better and maybe even jam regularly to the same riff/rhythm/whatever so that you develop a familiar piece of music to improve how you stay in time with eachother.

Keep it up and pm me if you get any new stuff up, I'd like to hear it.

Peace & Whiskey,

Ant