Ive seen people play live saxophone in a club, playing little fills over club songs. Is this also done with guitar? How would that work? I can only find the key by ear after trying a few notes to find the root, can't do that in a club. Do you get a list what keys the songs are in or do they just instantly hear the key?
learn pitch. as in, learn to know what a note is with your ear, and then learn all your scales and all that. most saxophonists playing at that level would probs be able to do that i guess
Lets say I have perfect pitch recognition. How am I going to find the key? Just guess it from the structure of the song? (for exapmple, if the songs plays an E-chord alot it probably is E?)

How am I learning pitch recognition? Maybe letting some software play random notes and I have to guess what they are? Is there any software for this?
Perfect pitch recognition? Not nearly. You can get a general idea from the sound of the song after a bit of practice, and that first couple of lines you try are consolidating what key you're in. I'd say I can pick the key of a song within 5-10 seconds of it starting.

Want to practice? Put on the radio and jam along with songs you've never heard before.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Want to practice? Put on the radio and jam along with songs you've never heard before.

this is REALLY good advice
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw
Ive reached a point where i can recognize keys from chord progressions very quickly, i just have to listen for a moment to get a feel for the tempo and when the chord changes occur, then after listening and properly "getting a feel for the song" i jump right in with whatever comes naturally

i personally have never used software to learn pitch, although i did learn everything i know about theory from the net, and i am not saying not to use it but i think practicing with your instrument will be better

if you have a friend who is a musician you might try having them play some riffs or chord progressions and just try to make little complimentary licks, have him switch up so you get a feel for different keys

also you may try asking them to just tell you what key they are going to be in before a song...
Quote by Naam
Ive seen people play live saxophone in a club, playing little fills over club songs. Is this also done with guitar? How would that work? I can only find the key by ear after trying a few notes to find the root, can't do that in a club. Do you get a list what keys the songs are in or do they just instantly hear the key?

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with spending a couple of seconds figuring out the key on-stage, as long as you do it subtly and then go straight into a solo/melody afterwards.
The trick is to make your mistakes look like they were on purpose.