I'm getting a new guitar and amp and came across this question.
I've seen a bunch of youtube videos where guys play guitar straight into the computer using the POD and it sounds really good.
Could I get a POD and just play it straight into computer as if it was an amp? Do you guys think it's worth it?
It's mainly because of the price, its only 100 dollars and most good amps are at least 200
At $200 you're going to get a bunch of crap, a few okay amps, and VERY few decent amps. Most good amps are much more expensive, upwards of hundreds, and the amazing ones are in the thousands. All that's debatable though, seeing as new companies like Jet City are coming out with great sounding cheaper amps.

The POD will probably sound better than most $200 solid state amps though, and yes, you can hook it up to your computer whether you plug it into your soundcard or just use your computer speakers.

For $100 though I'd rather just get the Pod Studio GX with Pod Farm.
PODs are great

However I prefer to mic an amp this costs waaay more though

So if you're looking at recording on the cheap get a POD
I have a Pocket Pod and I like it a lot, it's pretty useful. It's only going to sound as good as the weakest link in your signal path though. Cheap computer speakers or totally cheapo headphones will not sound that great. Some of those little $99 practice amps actually sound pretty good for the price. You could get one of them and then start saving for a nicer amp.
For $200 you could get one of the newer peavey bandits second hand easy. The latest greyface models have a direct out as well. The Pocket POD isn't bad but you need to pair a modeler with good monitors or a guitar cab/power amp. It will sound horrendous through most PC speakers and headphones.
Quote by matt95
I'm getting a new guitar and amp and came across this question.
I've seen a bunch of youtube videos where guys play guitar straight into the computer using the POD and it sounds really good.
Could I get a POD and just play it straight into computer as if it was an amp? Do you guys think it's worth it?
It's mainly because of the price, its only 100 dollars and most good amps are at least 200

If you don't have money for good amps you should definitely use a POD. I got a POD GX and I love it, only 99 dollars and it came with POD Farm for free.

All you have to do is seach on the internet for what type of effects and amps you want and you'll get it.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline