Is it really a good idea to buy a JCM800 50W 2X12 combo from 1984 for $900 (in "original condition") even though the amp is almost 30 years old? I am trying to upgrade from a used DSL201 for live shows and have been considering the new Orange Thunder 30 combo. The opportunity for the JCM800 was just made available to me...
Orange would probably be better IMO. JCM800s are amazing but that is quite a lot to pay for a used amp as you say, and the Thunder 30 has a switch that lets you crank it at much lower volumes; JCM800s need to be turned way up. If you want to get your toanz without ear fatigue or bothering the neighbours, the 30 is a better idea.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Orange would probably be better IMO. JCM800s are amazing but that is quite a lot to pay for a used amp as you say, and the Thunder 30 has a switch that lets you crank it at much lower volumes; JCM800s need to be turned way up. If you want to get your toanz without ear fatigue or bothering the neighbours, the 30 is a better idea.

He said he wants it for live shows...

Anywho, I say go for it. If it really is mint than the price doesn't seem that bad, and it's just a flat out great amp.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by joho1701
even though the amp is almost 30 years old?

Old amps almost always cost more. Vintage, discontinued, all that jazz.

It depends on what you play. The JCM 800 and Thunder 30 are pretty different at high gain. The Thunder 30 dimed is pretty sludgy, doom-metaly. The JCM 800 dimed is very 80s heavy metal. Much more top end/upper mids.

As for volume,I don't know if the '84 JCM 800 4212 had a master volume. If it does, volume shouldn't be much of an issue for small gigs. I use a 2204 MV at bedroom volumes.

If you're worried about reliability of a 30 year old amp, JCM 800s are tanks.

EDIT: Also, if you need loud pristine cleans at gigs without mic'ing, the Thunder 30 wont cut it. Not enough headroom and you'll get some breakup. Even the 50W JCM 800 won't be too reliable for loud cleans.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 29, 2010,
If it was me, I would grab the JCM 800 up. Like what was said above, older amps can be worth a lot and be sought. Just check it out and see if that is what you want.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Use the link in my sig to find similar gear used to compare prices. It does seem a bit high for a combo but we can't see it so. If it is actually in like new condition it may command that price. Plus most sellers usually start off asking for more then they expect to get. Thunder seems nice too but the 800 will kick the DSLs ass. Do it.
Personally I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a marshal combo. Just never liked them much even when I thought the similar head sounded good.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.