I have recently broke my G string on my guitar. I will soon be getting some new strings , the ones I have on are 10's, but will getting 12's make a huge difference to my sound and playing.

I have a Les Paul.
Yes it will.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
12 gauge strings will be MUCH tighter than your 10s. But thats not a bad thing, it's all in what you prefer. I myself use 11 gauge with a wound g, I much prefer the tension of 11s or 12s to 9s or 10s. And yes playing on 12s will be different than 10s, making bends will require more effort. But thats really the only difference I have noticed.
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
I believe that heavier gauge strings produce a bassier sound.
Ibanez Rg570EX
-Nailbomb & Liquifire
ENGL screamer 50
Dynacomp-TS9/808-OCD-Phase 90-Small Clone.
Quote by TheTones
I am looking for a more traditional sound. Will chords sund better on it ?

Personally I wouldn't like that sound, but that's just me. The thicker strings will make the sound of the strings themselves behave a lot more like a steel-string acoustic, but with an electric body obviously.
Quote by Dayn
Personally I wouldn't like that sound, but that's just me. The thicker strings will make the sound of the strings themselves behave a lot more like a steel-string acoustic, but with an electric body obviously.

Will it be nigh on impossible to bend notes with them ?
Quote by TheTones
Will it be nigh on impossible to bend notes with them ?

no, it will just be a little harder on your fingers
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
Eventually you'd get used to it, but for a while it'll be hard while your fingers get stronger.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Although you didn't ask this you might run into a string binding problem because you're going up a few gauges. The string slots in the nut might not be wide enough right from the start so you might want to take it in to a shop and have the slots and bridge saddles widened.

Also, This isn't related much but you can prolong string life of unwound strings by soldering the wraps near the ball ends of the strings.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
You'll have to have your guitar set up for the strings or your intonation and action will be off and you'll get fret buzz, plus you may have truss rod problems.

When I moved to .12's on my LP I didn't really have much of a problem with bends, and it didn't seem noticeably harder to play on or anything.