Im a guitarist thats looking to branch out and learn some bass stuff but I dont wanna spend alot on my first bass. Are these half way decent or not worth my time at all.
Last edited by extra heavy at Sep 29, 2010,
do you mean rogue?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I don't know that brand. Looked it up and they do seem to have decent basses, according to some reviews. But those basses are prob higher end ones.
I see your Ibanez logo. Why not try the Ibanez GSR200? That's a good beginners bass.
Gear :
Ibanez GWB35 Gary Willis signature
Ibanez SR700 CN
Epiphone Thunderbird Pro IV

Marshall MB4410
Quote by rbnbass
How much money are you thinking?

Wouldn't really wanna go past $200.00 USD.
Also Can I use one of my guitar amps as a bass amp I know the sound will suck but I've been told that a bass through a guitar amp would blow the speaker is this true.
Shop about--you can probably get a used GSR200 well within your budget. And then buy a used Kustom KBA10.

Yes, you should buy a bass amp. Yes, others will tell you that you can play it with the sound turned down and it will be OK. But its very easy to push that knob beyond the point of no return and ruin the speaker. Plus you will never get a nice lower end sound.
Quote by anarkee
Shop about--you can probably get a used GSR200 well within your budget. And then buy a used Kustom KBA10.

Yes, you should buy a bass amp. Yes, others will tell you that you can play it with the sound turned down and it will be OK. But its very easy to push that knob beyond the point of no return and ruin the speaker. Plus you will never get a nice lower end sound.

alright, Im pickin up what your throwin down.
What he says is true, I've already blown up at a guitarists I USED to play with :P

But then again he made me =)
So well, err. 200 isn't so much for both an amp and a bass.
Maybe you could try one of these starter kits, I used to own one.
Kept me locked up in my room for almost a year. Then bought new amp + bass after selling it to a starting bassplayer. So yeah, you could also do that.
Or just not go beyond the point of no return and keep the speaker healty and buy yerslef a nice squier for that money =)
Quote by rbnbass
What he says is true, I've already blown up at a guitarists I USED to play with :P

But then again he made me =)
So well, err. 200 isn't so much for both an amp and a bass.
Maybe you could try one of these starter kits, I used to own one.
Kept me locked up in my room for almost a year. Then bought new amp + bass after selling it to a starting bassplayer. So yeah, you could also do that.
Or just not go beyond the point of no return and keep the speaker healty and buy yerslef a nice squier for that money =)

Ill spend around 200 for the bass and if theres a half way decent amp i could buy Ill spring a little extra. I know my friend has a peavy 15 watt bass amp that i could get pretty cheap. He was selling a beatle stlye viola bass and the amp for like 70 usd but Im not into that bass style.
Peavey's are good =)
But not amazing, but their fairly decent I think.
Buy it off him, if he lets you. Then spend around 200 on your bass.
Squier has good basses, but also Ibanez that come around 200 I think.
But since it's your first bass, just post your suggestions here and I'll let you know what I think. And the others probably too =)
I am a big Ibanez fan. The majority of my guitars are Ibanezs but I saw a couple of decent ESP's I thought looked really nice, I might check out ebay for some of these.
Look for a used Ibanez GSR200 and a used Peavey MAX or Kustom KBA10, you should be able to get both for around $200. Craigslist is your friend.

The Yamaha RBX170 is also fairly cheap, and is a great beginners bass. Should run you a little less than the Ibanez too.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass