Hai guise!

Not been in GB&A for what feels like an age. I've been building stuff, just not really documenting. Right.

I have an old Epiphone Les Paul 'gothic', that has seen far better days. It has a crack in the neck near the headstock - I'm not sure wether it's the scalf joint or not. It does not hold tune very well, and there is a definite shift in pitch when pressure is applied around the crack.

I'd really like to re-vamp this guitar and get it gig-worthy once again, as she's currently just sat around dis-used and unloved in a gig bag. But first I need a diagnosis. Is she salvagable? If so, is it worth it?

Here's a few pictures of said crack;

Ultimately, once (if) the neck is fixed, I'd like to install new hardware, and replace the stock pickups with a single decent pickup in the bridge. Perhaps a re-finish will be in order, but I kinda like battered looking guitars.

But all that is irrelevant if the fix isn't do-able/worth it. What do you guys think?
Generally, breaks around the headstock can be fixed by fully breaking it, then re-gluing it, but that one's under the fretboard. There may be a way to inject glue in or something, but I'm not really sure...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Generally, breaks around the headstock can be fixed by fully breaking it, then re-gluing it, but that one's under the fretboard. There may be a way to inject glue in or something, but I'm not really sure...

Yeah, that's what worries me - I don't think it's the old 'break it off then glue it back on' fix. Here's a few shots of the extent of the damage on one side to the fretboard;

Mt Epi Les Paul had a crack in it, right a long on the scarf joint. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like yours in on the scarf join too. Your crack looks pretty much exactly like mine did, except mine didn't go through the fretboard. Mine is fixed and it holds tune very well, and plays well.

When you glue the neck right, it is tougher than it was before. But I would also suggest that you invest in some strap locks too. If you are not comfortable with gluing yourself, you may take it to your local shop and see how much they will charge to do it.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
Mt Epi Les Paul had a crack in it, right a long on the scarf joint. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like yours in on the scarf join too. Your crack looks pretty much exactly like mine did, except mine didn't go through the fretboard. Mine is fixed and it holds tune very well, and plays well.

When you glue the neck right, it is tougher than it was before. But I would also suggest that you invest in some strap locks too. If you are not comfortable with gluing yourself, you may take it to your local shop and see how much they will charge to do it.

So you think it might be the scarf joint? I was worried it was a little too far south on the neck. Two more photos to show more accurately where the crack is;

Looking at those two shots there, I think it probably is?
I don't think it is actually. As was said, i think usually the scarf joint starts just where the nut ends.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Explorerbuilder
its no doubt the scarf... the chances of it breaking in the exact shape of one is not very likley... scarfs are hardly ever right behind hte nut.

actually i think you're right. Sorry disregard what i just said
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I'm assuming it isn't a bolt-on neck? That would just be too easy.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Does the crack part at all? Use some thin super glue. That'll be fine, IMO.

mmhm. Superglue (Cyanoacrylate glue) is super sticky stuff and it's really thin.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quite often the scarf is higher up and exposes the truss rod when it snaps.

In your case, it is only the truss rod that is preventing it from snapping.

You could attempt to inject (with needle and syringe) Titebond into it, then clamp it up solid for a day or two.

You would need to open he crack up as much as you dare.

Alternatively, you need to route two channels either side of where the truss rod would be, in the back of the neck, about half the depth of the neck, 2 inches or so either side of the crack. Then you glue in some strips of hard wood, then clamp the neck up.

Here

I think the dude who did it, posts on here.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK

You could attempt to inject (with needle and syringe) Titebond into it, then clamp it up solid for a day or two.

Alternatively, you need to route two channels either side of where the truss rod would be, in the back of the neck, about half the depth of the neck, 2 inches or so either side of the crack. Then you glue in some strips of hard wood, then clamp the neck up.

Here

Yep, I do post here. Check out the video. They show the entire process. I used a cam machine, but it would be done with a router too. The results is way stronger than the original neck.
I'm a tad nervous about opening the crack, I must admit (the innuendo in that sentence is almost too much to bear...)

But, seeing as though it's currently getting no use, I have nothing to lose really. I'm gonna have a quick check in the workshop downstairs, see if I have the glue and clamps. If so, I'm gonna crack on with it. If not, my dad is the RM technician at the local secondary school, so I should be sorted.

EDIT: It would appear I currently do not have the necessary tools to fix the neck this afternoon, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Unless my dad comes home at lunch, then I may be able to nip down with him and sort it in the school's workshop.

In the meantime, now is perhaps a good time to start thinking about what I'm going to do with it.

I've decided I'm not going to re-finish it. She's battered, but I love that look.

I want to keep it as simple as possible, so I'm gonna stick with just a single pickup in the bridge position. What pickup though, I do not know. I play modern rock, so I want something that can handle gain well, but what I really want is a nice clean sound. Any suggestions?

Also, do you think the stock grover machine heads are worth replacing?
Last edited by Mathamology at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Mathamology
I'm a tad nervous about opening the crack, I must admit (the innuendo in that sentence is almost too much to bear...)

But, seeing as though it's currently getting no use, I have nothing to lose really. I'm gonna have a quick check in the workshop downstairs, see if I have the glue and clamps. If so, I'm gonna crack on with it. If not, my dad is the RM technician at the local secondary school, so I should be sorted.

EDIT: It would appear I currently do not have the necessary tools to fix the neck this afternoon, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. Unless my dad comes home at lunch, then I may be able to nip down with him and sort it in the school's workshop.

In the meantime, now is perhaps a good time to start thinking about what I'm going to do with it.

I've decided I'm not going to re-finish it. She's battered, but I love that look.

I want to keep it as simple as possible, so I'm gonna stick with just a single pickup in the bridge position. What pickup though, I do not know. I play modern rock, so I want something that can handle gain well, but what I really want is a nice clean sound. Any suggestions?

Also, do you think the stock grover machine heads are worth replacing?

Have a look at Iron Gear Pickups, especially their Classic (better) range.

If they are actually Grovers, they are pretty good tuners.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK

Here

I did a Les Paul kind of like that. I hollowed out 2 spots on the neck and put some dowel rod type pieces of wood in it. Then, around the spots that were open, mixed up wood filler and put in. Very good bond. This is harder to do if you don't have the right tools though.
***Guitars***
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Quote by Mathamology
Right. I'm off open the crack and inject some glue.

Wish me luck!

Luck! At the risk of once again sounding like a total idiot, one thing i would say is try not to get any glue on the truss rod if you come across it. Pretty sure it's not the best idea.
EH

^ I think I've avoided it. To be honest, I'm not completely sure if I've got enough glue in there, I'm not sure I dared to widen the crack enough to inject it far enough in. It's all clamped up at the moment, and I'm going away for the weekend, so I'll leave it to set hard until sunday evening. Then, we might have a better idea of how succesful I've been.

EDIT: Pics of the clamped neck and the world's untidiest workshop

Last edited by Mathamology at Oct 1, 2010,
Update!

Well, I gave it the weekend to set hard, and I've removed the clamps to find what appears to be quite a sturdy fix. I think the real test will be once it's all strung up and being played again.

I've sanded the crack down to make it as smooth as it was before. It looks ugly as sin, but that kind of suits the style I'm going for anyway. The main thing is it feels smooth and fast. Pictures of said uglyness:

The other sanded areas are small dints that I have also smoothed over.

I've ordered a pickup for the bridge... I will post more when it arrives
That's what my Epi Les Pauls neck looks like after I worked on the neck crack. I didn't want to bother repainting it, so I left it. I think it actually looks pretty cool, and is very smooth.
***Guitars***
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
The postman hath arrived!

The package, in all its glory;

What is this? A mere piece of kitchen roll!? I've been ripped off!

Further unwravelling reveals further clues... Dreamer? Armoured!?!

Ah-hah! A Wizard Dreamer - a humbucker sized p-90!

She's really shiny. That's me in the reflection. And my skylight;

Though shiny, the finish is actually a bad-ass grungy worn look.

I will be installing this beast this afternoon, following a wiring diagram for a Les Paul Jnr - which is effectively what this will become. Annoyingly, I don't have a spare set of strings so I won't be able to let you guys know how it sounds until I get some. I'll be sure to post photos of the installation though.
As promised, pictures of the wiring;

And heres a quick shot from the front, with the hardware and pup installed;

I have the morning off work tomorrow, so I'll definitly be heading into town to get myself a set of strings! Can't wait to hear how it all sounds.
what are you going to do with the extra holes for the pots?

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
what are you going to do with the extra holes for the pots?

on my guitars and basses i just stuck some duck tape over the empty holes lolz.
EH

duct tape on guitars looks amazingly ghetto, i put some over the neck pickup on my tele when it sunk into the body for the third time. it looks awesome and the pickup still picks up the strings
Ben

GEAR:
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Deluxe
Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar
Blackstar ht-5 head
Blackstar ht-408 cab
Landola V72 Acoustic
Seymour Duncan Woody SC

Quote by lolometer1
Wanna be sex buddies?
Quote by housemd
nope.
Yeah, well I held the electronic guts for my EMG's to my guitar with Neon orange ductape... on a black guitar.

And no, probably no problem with interference, just wondering.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
hey if you used duck tape it would fit the grungy look. but this is a very sexy customzation that spawned from a cracked neck.