Soooo I play classic rock, blues, "shred"(i hate that word), , And jazz fusion, along with a little bit of classic metal, and symphonic metal. I'm looking to get a guitar with p-90s and I am wondering how much noise they amke distorted and if it can be compensated with a noise gate. Thanks!
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 29, 2010,
Sorry but your sig isn't showing up. When you post you have to choose to show it.
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
weird, the box was checked! well i edited my post so you could see it!
(PM Me.)
p-90s arent that noisy distorted and if it really makes you feel better u can use a noise gate.
as guitars go if u want cheap ($100-$500) an epiphone les paup junior($150 but u have to install the p-90 yourself) or epiphone les paul special (not special II)
or if u have $800 go buy a gibson les paul junior
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
i have a gibson p94 in the neck of my V. there is noticeable noise and feedback obviously, but it isnt unmanageable. it definitely brings something new to the table when playing through a high gain amp. ive been wanting to get some custom over wound p90s for when i get a sg or lp that has p90s in it.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
I do know the amp is the biggest factor in tone, will they feed back more too? I'm asking because they're in a semi hollowbody which already can feedback easier than a solidbody
(PM Me.)
Listen to early Black Sabbath and it'll give you a good idea. Tony Iommi's original SG's had P90's in them if I remember right. I've also played a modern Gibson SG with P90's in it and can safely say that they can rock out pretty hard in their own right.

Just because they are single coils does NOT make them sound weak. They are far thicker sounding than a fender's Single coil or anything else in that style
Quote by evhbrianmay
I do know the amp is the biggest factor in tone, will they feed back more too? I'm asking because they're in a semi hollowbody which already can feedback easier than a solidbody

Sorry just saw this. If you're wanting a metal guitar, a hollow body with P90's seems like the worst option I can think of, no offense (well, maybe a regular strat would be less suited but thats another story)

An SG or other Solid Body can handle the feedback at that distortion level pretty well, even with p90's, but with a hollowbody you're going to get some nasty feedback unless you set the amp up just right.

Then again that one dude from Anvil plays a custom made hollowbody Flying V so maybe I have no clue what I'm talking about...
I play my gibson studio loaded with P-90s through a 6505+ at high gain. Play hard rock and metal - the pick up are noisy as shit - my ISP decimator kills a lot of the feedback but it sounds great.

The LPs construction adds a lot to the tone itself but the pickups definitely add a different flare to my sound when i switch from my EMG loaded ESP. I use the LP for more of a heavy bass tone and a much warmer and fatter sound than I get from my ESP. All in all the P-90s are nice and worth a shot for you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
p-90's are definately a go for metal. they arent really suited for the modern ultra-saturated metal sounds, but they will definately give you a really cool metal tone. the highs produced by them are going to be somewhat more bell-like than a humbucker. also, P-90's tend to have an unpredictability (they tend to misbehave for some reason) and bark that just make them awesomely suitable for heavier music

of course, noise is going to be an issue along with feedback. an obvious (and highly effective) solution is to get a noise suppressor with a built in noise-gate feature (TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!!), i use a rocktron one. this will allow you to eliminate all buzzing while not playing and it will help stifle some of the unwanted noise while playing.
I'm saying I only play an occasional metal song, most of my stuff is blues and classic rock
(PM Me.)
Just get a noise gate and you should be golden.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Alrighty! thanks for all the help.
(PM Me.)
a p90 is a humbucker sized single coil...a noise gate is not going to make the pickup quieter..

for some heavy sounding p90 rock listen to any old leslie west 'Mountain', he used a les paul jr with a single p90.
Quote by evhbrianmay

Two quick things. The biggest factor in your tone is not technically your amp, but your fingers. I'd say roughly 60% of your tone comes from having solid technique and good fingertone. That is why really great players can still sound good on a 100 dollar instrument.

Also I would be very, very wary of trying to play metal with a semi-hollowbody. It's like playing with fire, because you are going to get a LOT of feedback at anything above bedroom practice levels. Once you crank your amp enough to be heard over a band, your sound is going to go down the tube because of feedback. Good luck though!
Quote by stymye
a p90 is a humbucker sized single coil...a noise gate is not going to make the pickup quieter..

Not really... I don't really know how to describe it, but it's definitely not that. P90's are P90's. They're not humbucker sized at all. They're kind of a mix of single coil and humbucker, but more on the single coil side. And for the record, noise gates can cut feedback when placed in front of the amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As far as I understand it, the P-90 may be the first mass-produced single-coil pickup. I have one in my Les Paul Melody Maker and I quite like it for the heavies. It has more output than the Tele-style single-coil in my Buckshot. I don't own a guitar with humbuckers so I can't offer that comparison.

The P-90 has more aggressive attack and more bite in the mid-range than a Tele or Strat-style single. I way prefer the sound of my P-90 through some overdrive or distortion than the other single.

They are prone to hum but you might consider something like an ElectroHarmonix Hum Debugger. It will remove a lot of 60-cycle hum from the signal.

There is also the combo P-90/rail humbucker pickup called the P-Rail. I've heard they sound really good, offering the sound of a P-90 combined with a hum-canceling 2nd coil.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/prails_shpr1/
I know about the P rail, but it don't fit into a p-90 slot!
(PM Me.)
did anyone else think COD 4 ?
Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
My SG handles stuff like Motley Crue,The Used, and Judas Priest great.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
a dose of reality just hit me. I need a floyd rose (style) tremolo... well ibanez s570 for me! i'm thinking about a p rails in the neck though
(PM Me.)
Last edited by evhbrianmay at Sep 30, 2010,