Poll: Which one should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one should I get?
Ibanez SR500
15 45%
Fender Jazz Bass Standard
17 52%
Other... (Specify)
1 3%
Voters: 33.
I play pickstyle, I play mainly Thrash Metal, my favorite bands are Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, System Of A Down, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Black Sabbath and Rush. My current gear is in my sig. So which would you recommend?

The Ibanez SR500?

The Fender Jazz Bass Standard?

Any other suggestion? (Please specify below...)
Man, they're both freaking awesome.

But for thrash, i'd have to say the SR500. Honestly man, you can't go wrong with neither
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Man, they're both freaking awesome.

But for thrash, i'd have to say the SR500. Honestly man, you can't go wrong with neither

Yeah, I'd thought so too for a long time, but I'm really looking for a bright, clear tone, whcih I'm sure the Jazz would deliver but not so sure about the SR500 (cause of the Mahogany body and all) do you think it would also be able to deliver clear, bright tones?
I hate SR500s, death to the whole series. Jazz FTW.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Sant_iago_9
Yeah, I'd thought so too for a long time, but I'm really looking for a bright, clear tone, whcih I'm sure the Jazz would deliver but not so sure about the SR500 (cause of the Mahogany body and all) do you think it would also be able to deliver clear, bright tones?

The most extreme "bright" tone I've ever heard was from someone playing an Ibanez SR Bass. They were a (fairly bad) power metal band and the bassist was trying to slap, and the bass cut through the mix like nobodies business, problem was the sound it was producing was disgusting. No bottom end at all, just a load of god awful tinny clicking. This was probably just the result of clueless EQing.

I play completely different music to you most of the time, but I also enjoy a nice bright clear sound (although a smooth round one rather than a tinny one) and I get a perfect tone for it out of my Jazz.

To be honest they'll probably both do what you want; your best bet is to simply try them out and decide for yourself.
Quote by consecutive e
I hate SR500s, death to the whole series. Jazz FTW.

You're an odd creature my friend.
pinga
^ not too odd, there are those of us (myself included) who don't care for SR's.

TS, either is wonderfully versatile, and you can't go wrong with either. I'd say the Jazz, but that's just because I can't deal with the Ibanez's wafer thin neck. Try them out if you can, they feel quite a bit different.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Ziphoblat
The most extreme "bright" tone I've ever heard was from someone playing an Ibanez SR Bass. They were a (fairly bad) power metal band and the bassist was trying to slap, and the bass cut through the mix like nobodies business, problem was the sound it was producing was disgusting. No bottom end at all, just a load of god awful tinny clicking. This was probably just the result of clueless EQing.

I have an SR505, and it has a very trebly (often too much) tone with the eq set flat.

I wouldn't recommend the SR if you plan on slapping as well, I've found that the finish is very easily damaged by fingernails, even if they're cut really short. Mine has a bunch of little fingernail chips in it.
As I always say when the SR500 is mentioned, I honestly preferred the SR300/305/400/405 simply because it has a more balanced tone. I don't like the Bart Mk1s at all.
Quote by Cb4rabid
Uncommon though. I thought it was the sound you didn't like, my bad.

I hate more or less everything about them. I had a nice rant a while back I'll see if I can find it.

Quote by consecutive e
It's a personal thing, I can see why other people like them I guess. They're waaayyy too light, the string spacing is way too narrow, the "Bartolinis" they put in them sound thin as hell to my ears and I could never get a tone I was completely satified with. The 505 I used to play just felt like a toy to me . Definetly not a fan of the neck either. For me it was one of those basses that looked great on paper but just didn't do it for me in practice.
Before anyone starts I've played a fair few, not just the one.

There we go.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Sep 30, 2010,
That sucks I dont have an opinion on the Barts because i've only played them once and I cant even remember the sound of it.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
That sucks I dont have an opinion on the Barts because i've only played them once and I cant even remember the sound of it.

They're not real Barts. They're Korean versions. Much like "Duncan Designed" to Seymour Duncan.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
i think I played a 506 or maybe a 706, im not sure, it was a while ago, but the weight and the body carve made it feel cheap. couldn't stand the feel of the thing. so I decided on my schecter, more weight, bought it local, liked the feel.
no sir away a papaya war is on
TS is banned
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by consecutive e
They're not real Barts. They're Korean versions. Much like "Duncan Designed" to Seymour Duncan.

You guys and your country-hate I dont even look at that, thats beyond nitpicking.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
You guys and your country-hate I dont even look at that, thats beyond nitpicking.

It's not really.

It's like comparing Epiphone to Gibson or Squier to MIA Fender, or Rockbass to Warwick.
Yeah, but all those brands are just subsidary to their ''older brother'' brands.

Barts are barts. There isn't a ''Andolini'' by Bartolini.
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid
Yeah, but all those brands are just subsidary to their ''older brother'' brands.

Barts are barts. There isn't a ''Andolini'' by Bartolini.

The same principal applies to pick-ups. Manufactured by cheaper labourers with cheaper parts (not always under a different name) to cut costs.
I get it, but it'll still be annoying to have to worry about where its made, considering theres already enough to worry about.

I think that if I ever went into a sam ash or guitar center and said "alright, do you have that same model, but with pickups that were crafted in Japan as opposed to Nicaragua?", the guy would slap me in the face (pfft, I know I would if I ever had soemone say that to me).
pinga
Quote by Cb4rabid

Country hate my arse. Those MK-1's could be made in the US and I'd still hate them.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I'm gonna be the lone advocate of the 500s am I? Nee bosh pal. I love mine, the Mahogany isn't actually that light, on a four string the neck will be pretty thin, but you get used to it they are really lovely basses. You would probably want to swap the pickups, the Barts don't really have the bite that some pickups do.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Cb4rabid
What about the Bart MK-2s?

there's nothing wrong with them, but they're not amazing (we both know you should buy that BTB you're considering)
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
^ you got me that 24th fret is just killing me softly. But its one sweet bass.
pinga
DEATH TO SRs KILL THEM ALLL DEATH AND BEER
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Cb4rabid
BLASPHEMY. KILL THE NON BELIEVER!

AWWW NAHH. GOT A SMOKE?
Basses: