Is it possible to get a sound from your head without a cab? I'm buying my friends Bugera but I don't have a cab, won't for a while, just wondering.
No.
If you run a head without an appropriate load, i.e., a cab, you will damage the output transformer.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
uh. no. the transformer will blow, and you will be scr00d. just go buy a cheap cab for now...or just make one.
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
No, youll blow the Output Tranny ... buy a cheapo cab from craigslist, see em going for like dirt cheap everywhere.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
You'll get sound, but it'll be the sound of your amp slowly killing itself.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
All time low play Dual Recs straight into the P.A

They don't use cabs at all.

I'm not a fan, just read it in Total Guitar.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Andrew/WK
Is it possible to get a sound from your head without a cab? I'm buying my friends Bugera but I don't have a cab, won't for a while, just wondering.

umm if u dont have speakers, how will u hear the amp? what bugera are u getting ?? none of the ones i have seen have headphone outs our anything, u understand a head has no speakers right?
" It's about how it sounds, not how it's played "

F@CK EVERYTHING

Why be sober when you can
No, you can't. I would suggest trying to make a cab yourself. If you have any woodworking skills, it is not hard to do. You can make one that is very good quality, for a lot less.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by Dannnn_xD

Who cares about the OT if you don't use it anyways. They probably got fried long ago. They may have even taken them out?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
your amp does not have a speaker by itself, so no. instead, the amp will simply die.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Who cares about the OT if you don't use it anyways. They probably got fried long ago. They may have even taken them out?

Sorry, what's OT mean?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Dannnn_xD

They either have a dummy load or a line out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Dannnn_xD
Sorry, what's OT mean?

Output Transactor

EDIT: thats what I would have called it if I was an inventor. Its actually Output Transformer (robots in dis guise)
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 29, 2010,
^^^ LOL...Output Transformer
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by tubetime86
They either have a dummy load or a line out.

Yeah it's line out.

Just proving the point you can use heads without cabs
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack

While I'm here, my house (actually my entire city) had a random power outage today. The power turned off and then on really quickly while my amp was plugged in, but not turned on.

Could anything bad have happened my amp? I can't test it out until I get home, so I'm very anxious to see/hear what might have happened
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH

While I'm here, my house (actually my entire city) had a random power outage today. The power turned off and then on really quickly while my amp was plugged in, but not turned on.

Could anything bad have happened my amp? I can't test it out until I get home, so I'm very anxious to see/hear what might have happened

Worst case scenario there was a surge and that could have damaged stuff... But that's unlikely, most likely it just flickered on and off... Which wouldn't do anything unless the amp was on.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Should be ok, my power goes out all the time while I'm playing.

it took 18 posts to say ...No
Quote by Dannnn_xD
Yeah it's line out.

Just proving the point you can use heads without cabs

Well, technically, running an amp into the PA system, is running it into a cab, and a PA system consists of speaker cabinets.

You can't use an amp without any speakers connected to it at all.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
This thread reminds me of this classic picture:

Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
Quote by tubetime86
Worst case scenario there was a surge and that could have damaged stuff... But that's unlikely, most likely it just flickered on and off... Which wouldn't do anything unless the amp was on.

Yeah, the amp was just plugged in, but not turned on. The power was off for less than a second.

That's a relief
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by bubbaearl

F@cking just found my new wallpaper. we were all beginners once but geez....
" It's about how it sounds, not how it's played "

F@CK EVERYTHING

Why be sober when you can
Quote by CL/\SH

You should be fine. This actually happened to me while I was playing, and on two of my amps... Was playing, power went out. I went "Oh sh*t" and flipped the power switches off before the power came back. Haven't had any problems with either amp in the couple of months since it happened.

The main thing I would be worried about is if they were on and any excess voltage coming through when the power comes back.

Quote by bubbaearl

Yes! I have been looking for this for so long
An amp will break if not plugged into a cab?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Clay-man
An amp will break if not plugged into a cab?

The signal goes into the output transformer and then to the speakers, if there is nowhere for the signal to go the output trannys will overload.

This is nowhere near a real technical description, but as far as I know that's more or less basically what happens.
Quote by ChrisBW
The signal goes into the output transformer and then to the speakers, if there is nowhere for the signal to go the output trannys will overload.

This is nowhere near a real technical description, but as far as I know that's more or less basically what happens.

Ah, well I'll remember to never do that when I get an amp head.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline