Page 1 of 2
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_dui_murders

So, apparently, if you drive drunk now and kill someone, juries in the USA are charging those convicted with 2nd degree murder. Before it was a "simple" manslaughter charge.

What does the Pit think? Is this warranted? Why or why not?

Edit: Here's the definition of 2nd degree murder in the US. Note that there are actually two definitions commonly used, and which definition is applied in court depends on which state you're charged in. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(United_States_law)#Degrees_of_murder_in_the_United_States
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 29, 2010,
If it discourages drunk driving then its fair enough
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Whats the sentance for 2nd degree murder?
Such is posting in Soviet Russia
Quote by DOHC
Whats the sentance for 2nd degree murder?

15-Life according to wiki.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Seems fair enough to be honest, it is more malicious than simply manslaughter and is being used on people with multiple offences, although that article is terrible really.

Quote by The article
In New York, a man was convicted of murder in a DUI collision that decapitated a 7-year-old flower girl on her way home in a limo from a wedding.
The band Brand New wrote a song about that.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Good. People that drive drunk are ****ing idiots.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Seems fair enough to be honest, it is more malicious than simply manslaughter and is being used on people with multiple offences, although that article is terrible really.

The band Brand New wrote a song about that.

That song is one of my favorite Brand New songs. It goes so deep man, the emotion's almost palpable. Especially the lyrics right before the guitar solo at the end.

Also, I agree with the change of rulings.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Well, I think the punishment fits the crime for sure, but I don't see it as murder, really. It's involuntary manslaughter by definition. Just don't drive drunk. /facepalm
druuunnk driiivviing is what i like to do

i like druuunnk driiving with you
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Sounds good. You should get a harsh sentence for drink driving no matter what. Unless you were taking someone to the hospital as the would die otherwise and there was no other way. But if you killed someone on the way, I dunno what will happen. Probably a reduced sentence.
You drive drunk and kill someone you deserve it. Simple as that.
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by guylee
Damn. How am I supposed to have fun without getting drunk and running people over?

Simple solution, just get drunk and beat someone to death for no reason.

Enjoy.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by diofan88
You drive drunk and kill someone you deserve it. Simple as that.

this.

i don't see why they don't make it illegal to drive with any alcohol in your system, they're just enabling people to say 'ahh i'm alright'.
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Too bad the article just says that it's a trend.

Which means you're likely to get charged for it.

If you have multiple DUIs.

And you've killed multiple people.

So basically it's pretty useless. Anyone who has killed multiple people on different occasions should not keep getting second chances.
So basically it's pretty useless. Anyone who has killed multiple people on different occasions should not keep getting second chances.

No second chances if ive killed multiple people on different occasions.
FUUUUUUUUUUUU!
Quote by bass-man9712
this.

i don't see why they don't make it illegal to drive with any alcohol in your system, they're just enabling people to say 'ahh i'm alright'.

I don't either. I don't see any benefits of having ANY alcohol in your system.
Sounds good to me

Quote by CoreysMonster

Getting drunk is one of them

EDIT: Also a small amount thins your blood slightly making it easier for your heart to pump, the more you know!
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Last edited by Putrefaction at Sep 29, 2010,
Thumbs up from me.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
The old system wasn't stopping drunk drivers. This seems like a good idea. I thought they already did that though.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by Putrefaction
Sounds good to me

Getting drunk is one of them

EDIT: Also a small amount thins your blood slightly making it easier for your heart to pump, the more you know!

sorry, I meant: "no point in being allowed to have any alcohol in your system while driving"

Alcohol without driving? Fine by me. Just not inside several thousand pounds of machinery.
Fine by me, I am sick and tired of seeing these multiple DUI charges
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Good - the penalty ought to be stiff. If you kill someone that way its a senseless loss of life and incrediblely preventable.
Quote by captaincrunk
You never have a BAL of 0.

Mouthwash and rubbing alcohol on your wounds make it go up, right?
Quote by Thrill-house
I think if they drive while drunk and kill someone they should be charged with 1st degree murder.

Would never hold up in court, one of the requirements for 1stt degree murder is "laying in wait."
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by CoreysMonster

The ability to go out and have one drink with friends before going home, being able to have a glass of wine with dinner etc. Under 0.05% BAC isn't going to impair a person.

Quote by rgrockr
The old system wasn't stopping drunk drivers. This seems like a good idea. I thought they already did that though.

If they want to stop drunk drivers though they need to have more enforcement. For deterrence you can't just have a high penalty, there needs to be a real risk of being caught.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
The ability to go out and have one drink with friends before going home, being able to have a glass of wine with dinner etc. Under 0.05% BAC isn't going to impair a person.

That's why you have desig. drivers, or use public transportation, or just walk. I don't see why you have to have alcohol and then drive a ca-- oh wait, you're Irish. Yeah, figures you wouldn't share the opinion
Quote by CoreysMonster
That's why you have desig. drivers, or use public transportation, or just walk. I don't see why you have to have alcohol and then drive a ca-- oh wait, you're Irish. Yeah, figures you wouldn't share the opinion

You don't have to but for many older rural people the ability to at least have one pint is good. they're old, they value independence and public transport infrastructure isn't there, I see no problem with allowing them to have an amount of alcohol that is below the threshold dose anyway. Same goes for wine with meals, coke just doesn't complement fish quite as well.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
You don't have to but for many older rural people the ability to at least have one pint is good. they're old, they value independence and public transport infrastructure isn't there, I see no problem with allowing them to have an amount of alcohol that is below the threshold dose anyway. Same goes for wine with meals, coke just doesn't complement fish quite as well.

+1. I don't want to have to bother my friends or call a cab because I had a single beer with my dinner.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by Ur all $h1t

the difference lies for me with age. If some old dudes wanna go and have a pint out in the country or whatever, that's fine by me, too, because they're old and mature enough to know when to stop, and not to drink more than they're safely able to.

Teenagers and young adults, however, shouldn't have such luxuries, as far too many are far too immature. I've witnessed to many guys my age go "I really shouldn't.. but I'm fine, so I guess I can have 2 more pints/shots/whatever" for me to trust people my own age. Over here in Germany, there's already a 18 month period after you first get your license where you are not allowed to have any alcohol in your system, but I find 18 months far too little, and the punishments for breaking these rules far too lenient.
So, are they going to change the definition of murder while they're at it? Or just group drunk driving in with "premeditated killing"?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Sounds like a fair idea to me. Whatever helps prevent people from driving drunk is a good thing in my opinion.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by Colgate Total
So, are they going to change the definition of murder while they're at it? Or just group drunk driving in with "premeditated killing"?

In the US, there are two ways to define 2nd degree murder.

The first is thus:
Second Degree Murder: Homicide committed by an individual engaged as a principal or an accomplice in the perpetration of a felony.
Under this definition, since the act of driving a vehicle while drunk is a felony, it can be called 2nd degree murder.

The second is thus:
Second Degree Murder: Any premeditated murder or felony murder that does not involve special circumstances.
So, under this definition, killing someone while driving drunk isn't 2nd degree murder.

The distinction depends on what state you're charged in. You can check the link here look into that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_(United_States_law)#Degrees_of_murder_in_the_United_States.

Edit: I do apologize; I should have posted at least the link in the OP. I'll throw that in now.
no, this is kinda dumb. it wont do anything to deter drunk driving, it just puts more people in jail for a longer period of time. the politicians just go along with it because it sounds and looks good in their political history, and it will appease a good amount of voters as drunk driving is demonized by society.

all its going to do is cost us more money in incarceration fees, it will not save any lives.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Page 1 of 2