So, gonna get my first electric and so far the guitar in question looks like the best one. I have test-played it, love the LP shape, good sound and feels good in my hands. The price is also pretty reasonable. Looks like it was made in China so I'm a bit concerned about that.... not much though.

Can some of you who have one or have had one say if it's really as good as people say, and your thoughts on it. Remember that this is my first electric and my budget is not very flexible (being a student sucks sometimes)

Thanks in advance
i think it would be a great first electric, i have only played them a couple of time but i think it would be a good beginner guitar, you could probably even gig with it if you wanted.
GENERIC SIGNATURE
well the standard is great, if u can get together a little more money go with the eipiphone les paul custom they are built a little bit sturdier and have a fatter darker sound
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
I've had two in the past. One was 13 years old when I got it and the other was 14 years old. As long as you keep it safe it'll last forever. They are exceptionally good guitars. The only reason I got rid of mine was because they weigh an awful lot.
I have two Epi LP Standards and love both of them. They are solid guitars as long as you try it in the store first and make sure everything is setup the way you like. Take care of it and it will last a very long time.

They are a heavier guitar as far as weight goes, but nothing you can't handle.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
If MrFlibble were still with us he'd be the first to mention that other than gold-plated hardware and block inlays, there's absolutely no difference between a Custom and a Standrad. Made side by side with the same woods, on the same line, just finished differently. Definitely not worth the extra $200 IMO.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
If MrFlibble were still with us he'd be the first to mention that other than gold-plated hardware and block inlays, there's absolutely no difference between a Custom and a Standrad. Made side by side with the same woods, on the same line, just finished differently. Definitely not worth the extra $200 IMO.

i have played many epi les pauls both standard and custom. they have different sounds to them its not just the gold hardware
i play an instrument. nuff sed.
Quote by KenG

This. Add in the Studio too.

Quote by idkputanamehere
i have played many epi les pauls both standard and custom. they have different sounds to them its not just the gold hardware

Cognitive bias at its finest.

Do you really need the finish and binding? If not, a Studio will suffice. Its humbuckers are uncovered, that's the only tonal variety outside of wood cuts.

I had a silverburst Custom and currently have a Studio. I wouldn't own the Studio if I hadn't gotten it as part of a profit from another guitar, but it's actually a good one-plays well, sounds nice enough, and feels great. The only flaws it has are from the kid who owned it before.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by dcooper830
I love my Epi Les Paul Standard just as much as my Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Here's a clip to show they pretty much sound the same too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqxsm6w7m5o

Also keep in mind that Les Pauls all vary greatly in weight. Epis and Gibsons.

If you like the guitar get it. It will make you happy for many years.

Wow. They really do sound similar, I was literally skipping between them and the gibson just seems to be ever so slightly hotter. That's pretty amazing.

I've had my Epi LP Standard for 3 years and loved it the whole time. I changed string gauges and had it set up a bit different to factory when I got it, but apart from that it sounds great, tunes great, stays in tune solidly and is sturdy as hell. The other guitarist in my band has an LP Custom and it does sound almost exactly the same - he uses lighter strings (.9s I believe, vs my .12s) though so that's probably where the difference is tonally.

It's a pleasure to play, and would have made an absolutely incredible first guitar. Hell, it makes an absolutely incredible 4th guitar!
Thanks for the answers, gonna go buy it next week. I can hardly wait I have to walk past the store every day :P (ebony, of course BTW)
Isn't the gold plate on the custom really cheap and wears away quickly?
The Internet: It's serious business