On my Epiphone SG I purchased new, I've had it for a bit over 6 months now and I'm getting pinkish-orange corrosion where my hand rests on the bridge.

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7821/ffst.png

Any way to fix this? It feels kinda rough. So annoyed now, especially as this was like £300 and I bought new expecting no problems.
That looks like it's actually a copper bridge, with either silver spray paint or chrome plating on it, that's a bit of a rip-off. It's not corrosion, it's your hand rubbing away the top layer, there's not really much you can do, seems to just be a low quality bridge.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
That looks like it's actually a copper bridge, with either silver spray paint or chrome plating on it, that's a bit of a rip-off. It's not corrosion, it's your hand rubbing away the top layer, there's not really much you can do, seems to just be a low quality bridge.

Ugh, that really sucks. It's not the first problem either, the gold paint on "treble" has worn away really fast near the pickup switch. I know gibsons are better but I didn't expect problems like this. :/
^ Copper is pretty expensive and quite soft. it's probably brass or something.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
it's brass. i would save for a gibson or gibson pieces..
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Yeah, it does suck. Some Epiphones are very bad quality.

Copper is expensive, but so is brass really as it's a copper alloy.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Brass is only partly copper hence the alloy. If it's straight copper go sell that crap and buy a new guitar with the bank you'll make because that would be one nice chunk of cash.
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
Quote by FuzzLove
Copper is expensive, but so is brass really as it's a copper alloy.
That depends on how much copper is in the brass...

Anyway, it's EXTREMELY unlikely the bridge is made out of copper.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Wow that's really bad... the most viable option would be to get a new one.

I have the same thing on my Schecter which I've had for years but no where near as bad.
It's the copper plating layer under the hex chrome layer. I suspect the copper will also wear thru and you'll be left with the cheap die cast zinc bridge.

Quote by xkreedx
Brass is only partly copper hence the alloy. If it's straight copper go sell that crap and buy a new guitar with the bank you'll make because that would be one nice chunk of cash.

LOL what planet are you from bro? The machining is the expensive part. A hunk of copper that size is probably worth less than a dollar..
Last edited by BobDetroit at Sep 29, 2010,
Geez, I bought from a reputable huge music store. Reckon I could get a refund based on bad build quality or something? :S

This is really terrible, curse you epiphone, I thought you were cool.

EDIT: If it's no hope I guess I'll try and buy a new bridge and make sure it's not a piece of crap like this one was...
Last edited by Pikachao at Sep 29, 2010,
Epiphone is good. Of course they're going to use cheap-ish parts. That's why the prices are so low as compared to Gibbo or USA Fender, etc...

It's not the store's fault. It's just not quality chrome plating. It's really no big deal. You could just get another bridge for it.

Personally, I like how guitars look like that.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Epiphone is good. Of course they're going to use cheap-ish parts. That's why the prices are so low as compared to Gibbo or USA Fender, etc...

It's not the store's fault. It's just not quality chrome plating. It's really no big deal. You could just get another bridge for it.

Personally, I like how guitars look like that.

I know it's not the store's fault but I still deserve my money back under warranty due to crappy build quality don't I? :S
Quote by Pikachao
I know it's not the store's fault but I still deserve my money back under warranty due to crappy build quality don't I? :S

Well, no you don't deserve your money back. You bought a budget guitar, played the crap out of it and wore the finish off of it. (that's so rock and roll)

Point is you got what you paid for...
Quote by BobDetroit
Well, no you don't deserve your money back. You bought a budget guitar, played the crap out of it and wore the finish off of it. (that's so rock and roll)

Point is you got what you paid for...

Fairsfair I guess. Just sucks paying for a new bridge when I had almost finally saved up the money to buy an amp that doesn't suck. :P

Thanks for the help y'all
UPDATE: For anyone interested, after being left under my bed while I played my strat instead for a month, the orange corrosion has now turned rather a darker silver colour.

Idk if it'll turn orange again after being played but now it looks worn in and pretty cool so don't lose hope if you have the same problem.

oh, and sorry to necro
Its copper. Obviously you people don't know how chrome plating works.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
^ Pretty sure you can chrome plate brass just fine..
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Metalfan41
Its copper. Obviously you people don't know how chrome plating works.

Yes, we do.

If it was a pure copper bridge, that would be one expensive ass bridge. It's nickel plated brass. Skin oils and sweat pH can have extremely adverse effects on every type of metal on a guitar. It's just like how people's rings can turn their fingers green.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if, after the plating wore off, the brass changed color. He even said that it turned back to a "dark silver color".
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
It wouldn't surprise me at all if, after the plating wore off, the brass changed color. He even said that it turned back to a "dark silver color".

An hour of playing it and it's orange again. Oh well, I'll get a new bridge for christmas or something. I'm just glad to be playing it atm. Used my strat copy for a month and now I'm back to this it's just beautiful.
I don't see why you think you need a new bridge. Are the saddles ruint? Oh, it stilll plays fine too?

Get that amp.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Okay another thing. I just restrung my SG and after a couple hours playing the same has happened at a few of the frets on my strings. They're going orange.

WHAT THE **** IS WRONG WITH MY HANDS. It's like they destroy everything they touch. Q_Q
Last edited by Pikachao at Nov 12, 2010,
Some people just have really corrosive sweat. Try using gloves?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
Some people just have really corrosive sweat. Try using gloves?

It's like I'm cursed. :|
Quote by Pikachao
It's like I'm cursed. :|

Check Rory Gallagher's Strat. All the finish is worn off pretty much because of his sweat. It also was pretty acidic.
--

--
Quote by FuzzLove

This.