Hey all,

A couple years ago (I think?) I took the Seymour Duncan bridge out of my Washburn because it wasn't suited to metal (I was in a metal band). I replaced it with an EMG 81.
The EMG was great for metal no complaints, but now that I don't play that kind of music anymore I'm not so keen on the pickup.

Basically I'm looking for a passive replacement humbucker that is versatile. I'd like nice cleans all the way up to nice smooth leads, but I don't need it to be suited for tight brootal metal anymore! I think coil-tap'able would be ideal.

I have little knowledge about pickups and they're quite hard to sample unlike pedals/amps, so I'd love some idea's on what would be best for me. Ignore budget for now

Cheers!
Friends dont let friends stop playing metal...
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
I don't have a lot of knowledge about pickups, but I can definitely recommend any DiMarzios. All of the DiMarzios I've tried sounds really smooth and is great on both clean and overdrive channels.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Ah MoJo is interesting, Joe's range of tones is similar to what I play.

Would PAF's be suitable?
Quote by dubes216
Friends dont let friends stop playing metal...

Well, that shit is getting sigged

Anywho, I highly recommend the Seymour Duncan Distortion. It's not going to get a warm, jazzy tone, but it will be very clear, and sounds somewhat close to a strat on the clean channel
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
SD Invader. I love it. The cleans and distortion are fantastic. Also the DC resistance is 16.8k
Guitars:
*Carvin DC 127
*Dean Vendetta 2.0 w/ SD Invader pup
*BSX Beast
Amp:
*Peavey Triple XXX Head
*Marshal VS412 Cabinet

The Channel of Crappy Played Metal Covers (if you're into that)
Crunch lab and liquifire are for JP, of DT, who plays metal.

I have a Mo'Joe and PAF Joe in a JS100, and they make very versatile unique pickups.
A norton's won't do Joe's style like the Mo Joe and PAF Joe, but AN's are very good. But if you want more gain with less phatness but a lil more output, a Liquifire will do it for you.
But if you put in a low output pickup, your gonna need a lower one for the neck. Or the same pickup (unless it's a 1 pickup guitar.)

Air norton, PAF Joe, PAF Pro, Mo'Joe. All good, the Mo'Joe (IMO) isn't the best at cleans, but has good harmonics and can basically handle any amount of gain. with coil splitting I'd say anything clean works.

EDIT: JB is a bit trebly/bright. Unless you like that then sure.
Air Norton, PAFs. I've had experience with both, great versatile pickups. AN is hotter than the PAF, but if you go for an AN in the bridge and PAF in the neck, it's a very balanced set.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by CarvinDC127
SD Invader.:

Nahhhh man. Nahhhhhh
Don't get me wrong, I love the Invader too, but the cleans.... Well, let's just say that they are NOT my first pick haha
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
Nahhhh man. Nahhhhhh
Don't get me wrong, I love the Invader too, but the cleans.... Well, let's just say that they are NOT my first pick haha

Well i guess cleans on a pup round around how good the amp is. Such as Invaders sound like pure secks on a Bogner Uberschall or on my Peavey XXX
Guitars:
*Carvin DC 127
*Dean Vendetta 2.0 w/ SD Invader pup
*BSX Beast
Amp:
*Peavey Triple XXX Head
*Marshal VS412 Cabinet

The Channel of Crappy Played Metal Covers (if you're into that)
Custom 5? Look at Irongear, they're cheaper than SD in the UK.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.