So, for Christmas, I think I'm going to get my best friend a bass and an amp; he's been talking about wanting to learn bass ever since we were roommates, and I've even shown him a few things, but he really needs a bass if he's going to do anything(obviously). So, I've got the bass picked out(Squier VM P-bass), but I'm looking for an amp. He's a big fan of old rock and roll and a lot of post-punk stuff. Any suggestions? Love the guy but I'd like to keep the amp small and relatively inexpensive(say, under $300 American).
Look at what Kustom has to offer, or look used for a KBA10, fantastic little amp. Or you could give the Acoustic B20 or Peavey MAX amps a looks. None of those should run you too much at all.

If you want to push that $300 budget, you could get him an Acoustic B100, which would be powerful enough for band practice and not just bedroom playing.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Hmm. Well now I'm really considering the B100. His girlfriend IS a drummer, after all, so something that can keep up's not a bad idea.
I got a Fender Rumble 60 (great amp beautiful sound) for 219 buck free shipping... one hell of a deal from musiciansfriend.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/ladiesbass

Bass: Yamaha RBX374 (4 String)
Bass: Schecter Damien-5 (5 String)
Amp: Fender Rumble 60
Future Stack: Ampeg SVT-7PRO Head, SVT-410HLF Bass Speaker Cabinet