So I am looking for a new amp. I'm a competent guitarist, I have band experience (currently between bands unfortunately...), I play at church sometimes, and I already have a 4 ohm 2x12 cab with WGS G12-80 clones.

SO. My budget is no more than $600. Yeah, I'm a cheapie, but with college next year and having a slow-paying job and a car that eats $20 bills, I can't do much better.

Will almost certainly be buying used.

Bands I like to play- Green Day, Foo Fighters, Kyuss, Fu Manchu, the Misfits, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Led Zeppelin. Basically I want usable cleans (so no 5150/6505 please) a good crunch tone that will respond well with a boost/OD, and I'd also like it to be able to take on fuzz pedals too.

Amps I've already checked out:
Marshall Class 5 - great sound, probably not loud enough for a band right? Also I'd have to buy a 16ohm cab if I wanted a bigger one...
Peavey Windsor head - 800 clone... I'm not big on the '80s thrash tone but what else can this thing do?
Epiphone Blues Custom 30 - Perhaps not the best use of my money since it's a combo, but my mind is open. I keep hearing about their amazing cleans, but hows the overdrive?
Epiphone So Cal 50 - Seems like the sound I'm going for based on youtube demos, I guess this is what I'm attracted to the most, I just don't know about the quality. Anyone have any experience with this one?
Orange Tiny Terror - I love the Orange sound, I'm just weary of spending $4-500 on a class A head with 3 knobs.

Anything else that would make sense for me that I'm missing?

EDIT: Also, my guitar is a DIY Esquire with a GFS Neovin pickup.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Sep 29, 2010,
Well I put them up there for the sake of argument... if they really are worth it for the amazing overdrive then I can use my guitar's volume knob.

Also, thanks I'll definitely look at some Traynor stuff next time I'm in the local shop, I think they have some.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Well, it's not about the volume knob. I have a single channel amp, and do just fine.

I just don't see the Class 5 being loud enough in a band situation period, and I don't see cleans on the TT being loud enough for a band. Personally, I think the TT has meh OD, but that's just me.

Have you looked at the craigslist in nearby cities?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, it's not about the volume knob. I have a single channel amp, and do just fine.

I just don't see the Class 5 being loud enough in a band situation period, and I don't see cleans on the TT being loud enough for a band. Personally, I think the TT has meh OD, but that's just me.

Have you looked at the craigslist in nearby cities?

Yeah I look at Sacramento and Gold Country all the time, but it's not really representative of the used market. The Gold Country one rarely has anything besides world instruments, and Sacramento is still slow but once in a while you get something good. Besides, I won't be buying this amp till next summer probably, unless I happen upon a crapload of money between now and then.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
So it looks like Class A amps in my situation aren't a good idea. It's a start I suppose.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
The YCS is a great option. You could probably find a used Mesa DC too which would be a good option. A used H&K Edition 25 tube would be pretty sweet too.
Okay... so what if I don't want a 1x12? I'm keeping an open mind but I want something big. I already have a cab, I really would get more of my money's worth out of a head right?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Okay... so what if I don't want a 1x12? I'm keeping an open mind but I want something big. I already have a cab, I really would get more of my money's worth out of a head right?

Depends what quality cab you have.
Well, maybe. Your budget is at a rather weird gear limbo level. It's good for some good combos, and SOME good heads, but it really doesn't break into awesome stuff.

That said, I was looking at your band list again, and have you tried looking for a Peavey XXX? They're rather nice, and can often be found for cheap.
yeah.

wait until the Tweaker 40 demos start popping up. I have a feeling they will be within your budget (especially if you keep saving until they come out ) and will get you the sounds you're looking for.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I'll keep an eye out for the Tweaker 40 for sure, I've heard nothing but good things about Egnater but never tried one.

Now with the XXX... that's basically Peavey's version of the Dual Rec right? I hadn't thought of that before. Seems like a modern-voiced amp to me, how easy is it to get the more vintage tones with it?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by forsaknazrael
Not sure where you heard the Dual Rec thing...Maybe because it has a treadplate face as well?

But it's pretty versatile. It'll get heavy enough for the stuff you play, but has good cleans, and some good mid-gain tones, too. The problem is that most demos are from metal players.

Haha. I think I saw it somewhere on here actually. And with the similar control layout and yes... the treadplate front. I'll try and find a store around here that carries one and give 'er a try.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
^Looks like a sick amp for sure, but as a high school senior with a temperamental car and an hour-long commute to college in my future, I just can't justify $850 on a guitar amp. Even then, the used market for Mesa TA's will probably be pretty non-existent for another year or so, right?

Would an Egnater Rebel 20 head be good for my purposes? Is it loud enough for a band? I'm pretty sure I want a head now, not a combo. My cab is quite adequate.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Oct 13, 2010,
Forget all these other reply's man. Buy the Bugera BC30-212 combo.
Proud Egnater Fanboy

Favorite Bands

Periphery / Between the Buried and Me /
Ten After Two / Circa Survive /
Upon a Burning Body / / Bury Tomorrow /
Animals As Leaders / God Is An Astronaut

Proud member of the Seven String Legion.
Quote by KingsOfRonin
Forget all these other reply's man. Buy the Bugera BC30-212 combo.

I've had mixed personal experiences with Bugeras myself, but in GC where amps are abused every day (no one uses that damn standby button... fdskajfhg), it's hard to tell. Have you used one? What's it like?
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by forsaknazrael
No luck on the XXX front?

Well I'm mostly trying to keep my options open. I don't have the money yet, and I won't for a little while. I'm just really digging vintage sounding amps and stuff... like you said all the youtube demos are by metalheads and I don't have a store nearby that carries them since they're not in production anymore. If I see one I'll try it for sure though.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Could I throw a Marshall into the list? A 6101LM, which is the 30th anniversary 1x12 combo amp, all valve, 100watt, 3 channel, channel 2 had 3 modes to go from a JTM45 to a JCM900. The 6100 head can use an 8 or 16 ohm load, the combo a 4 or 8 ohm load, so would be no problem with your cab. Now discontinued, so used only
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I've had mixed personal experiences with Bugeras myself, but in GC where amps are abused every day (no one uses that damn standby button... fdskajfhg), it's hard to tell. Have you used one? What's it like?

Very vintage and boutique-y sounding. It's basically a VOX AC30, only much easier on the wallet. The clean is a little brighter, but the real stand out is the classic rock sound you can pull out of the Bugera. It sounds very tube screamerish without even using one.
Proud Egnater Fanboy

Favorite Bands

Periphery / Between the Buried and Me /
Ten After Two / Circa Survive /
Upon a Burning Body / / Bury Tomorrow /
Animals As Leaders / God Is An Astronaut

Proud member of the Seven String Legion.
Jet City Amps JCA50? The head is just $20 out of your budget, I think.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??