I am stuck between the Peavey 6505/6505+ I live in a small town in Alaska, so testing between the two is not going to happen. I have watched a hundred you tube videos but I just can not decide. I know all the differences for the most part. The 6505+ has an extra preamp tube for cleans, but has less gain. I like to play metalcore, ie parkway,ABR etc and old metallica, slayer etc. I have effects to help "clean" up the clean on the 6505 since it seems to lag in that area. So I am just all kinds of confused. I have read/heard (youtube) that the 6505 is more raw and has a better low end, but it just has the 1 EQ, which is lame, but seems to be "heavier". Is the extra $150 for the + and its "better clean" worth it, when I can Dr up the 6505 clean with effects, but I lose some aggressiveness. I just can't pick. I'm on the AMS site right now, but cant hit the buy button just yet.
I have not played the 6505, but I did own a +. I can tell you now the 6505+ has plenty of gain. I had to use an eq and a compressor to get the sound i wanted. But it sounded great. I play death metal and similar styles as you and depending on the guitar never had my gain set past 3-6.

Why dont you just get a 6534+???
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Last edited by maddnotez at Sep 29, 2010,
Having owned both, many times, the 6505 is superior for distorted tones. The 6505+ is more versatile, but at the cost of a weaker sounding lead channel; sure, the cleans are better, but people really do over exaggerate how "bad" the cleans are on these amps. They're not the greatest cleans on either, by any means, but both are completely usable.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by bobbyincide666
I have not read anything on the 6534. I have no idea what it is about, damnit another option

It's a 6505+ with EL-34s in the power section instead of 6L6s and the clean channel was supposedly upgraded.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
tried a 6505+ and really didnt like the lead channel great for solos etc but pretty mediocre for riffs not sure how much better the 6505 is and how much better both would be with an OD infront
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
If you check out my profile theres some demos of my cleans on my 6505+. ITs not the best audio quality but it should give you an idea of what cleans you can get if your willing to spend some time eqing and tubing. I did some tube swaps, I use a particularly clean neck pickup (dimarzio HFH), and I spent a long time EQing. I also did the bias mod, which is changing a resistor on the bias pot, its easier to do that mod on a 6505+ because it has the pot, you just need to swap a resistor, while in the 6505 you need to add a pot and resistor... The mod gets rid of crossover distortion that occurs when your power amp tubes are baised cold, it warms up the tone.

I havnt played a 6505 in a while, but I have heard debates that the 6505+ has more gain and better cleans, but because the cleans are slightly enhanced it effects how the gain sounds... So you may have more gain, but it doesnt have the same edge or attack that a 6505 has. Another bonus to the 6505+ is you can treat it like it has 3 channels, cause I dont think you have footswitchable crunch on the 6505, while on the 6505+ you do.

On a note about a 6534+ I saw one in several guitar stores, but did not try it...(kicking myself now...), talked to some of the guys and they said it wasnt much of a revamp on the cleans, he said it sounds basically the same, theres just a slightly different flare to the flavour. Anyways im sure i'll be back to the stores sometime and i'll jam on one for a good hour...lol

Best of luck in your decision.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Thanks to everyone that posted. I have decided to go with the 6505. I do not play clean any where near as much as distorted. I decided I can live with a half assed clean and try to hide it the best i can with effects. I kept seeing/hearing the 6505 was more raw. I will take to $150 I am saving for not going with the plus and buy a OD..then maybe later a boss EQ. Thanks again.
Quote by bobbyincide666
Thanks to everyone that posted. I have decided to go with the 6505. I do not play clean any where near as much as distorted. I decided I can live with a half assed clean and try to hide it the best i can with effects. I kept seeing/hearing the 6505 was more raw. I will take to $150 I am saving for not going with the plus and buy a OD..then maybe later a boss EQ. Thanks again.

i wouldn't go for a boss EQ. MXR has the 10 band for not too much $$$, and it is far superior. also, you could get a rack EQ for less $$$ than both of those, like a 30 band, but its not as convienent to haul around. i personally found the MXR 10 band to be my favorite, due to it being a high quality piece, and easier to transport than a rack EQ, as i have it on my pedalboard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/