Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on what amps would be well-suited for any kind of Sludge/Stoner metal a la Baroness, Mastodon, High On Fire, Electric Wizard, etc. I'm looking for some advice on what would be some decent and affordable amps to play the aforementioned style of music. Tube or solid state, combo or stack, it doesn't matter. I'm looking for traditional sludge metal tone with the paradoxical clarity that comes with the more progressive aspect of the music. I want raw, growling, but defined, low end with a clear, and slightly dirty, higher register. If someone can help me, that would be great. Right now, I'm playing with a Squier strat "Bullet", a Peavey Vypyr 15, and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. I know, quite the rig, right? I'm working on it. My price range for the amp is very limited I'm afraid, only up to about 800 dollars, at most. Thanks for the help, if any, and I'll see you on the boards.
Last edited by Hand Of Stone at Sep 29, 2010,
Would the Tiny Terror be a good one? I haven't played it, but the price is a plus. Also, all the reviews I've read for it haven't said anything about if it can handle the majesty of sludge. I'm not too worried about the volume right now, just the sound.
The TT would pretty happily do sludge.

The dirty tone is dark and a bit flubby. Pretty good for sludge really. Not a great amount of definition or versatility though really.

Id really reccomend saving some cash, looking into the TH30. Ofc easier said than done, but the dual terror would be a bit of an improvement and i think may fit in your budget if you go used..

Sludge/doom/stoner tone is predominately British voiced amps piled up with fuzz.
British amps are expensive in the US. Look into a used Laney Klipp/AOR or a Sovtek MIG.
a 5150 would probably work well for what you're playing.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r
yeah i remember when i had a good conscience. now i dont give a ****

xxx
smoke weed, drink 40's, **** titties
A used JCM800 may well get you there, that's what Mastadon tend to use. Are you gigging or just bedroom playing?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

a jcm 800 for $800? he could get the head for that much, he'd still need a cab
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Crate Blue Voodoo. you could easily find a 1/2 stack for under $800. They're built like tanks too.

here are a couple on CL in georgia I found:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/msg/1970715080.html (no price)
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/msg/1954680002.html - $750
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/1941385940.html - $420
http://savannah.craigslist.org/msg/1960431872.html - $400 (head only)
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 29, 2010,
the bands you listed all use different shit. baroness use black cat amps, pike uses marshall kk 800 and a soldano slo 100 thats modded. mastodon was using 800s, now they are using orange. personally, you need to find your amp. dont limit yourself. psych metal and sludge have a lot of bullshit limitations put on them for how shit should sound. shop around, do research on amps, and try and play as many as possible. look into the jet city stuff or burgera. youd also be surprised at deals you can find on used gear.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Don't get a 5150. hahaha. I play that kind of music often and my 5150 hates it. haha.

You'd have to look used but I'd agree with Becky on the British Voiced bit. Older marshalls aren't very rare on my Craigslist for under $1000. That would be my first bit of advice.

A Traynor YBA-1 with some fuzz would work really well.

The Laney AOR Pro Tube isn't a bad option.

I don't think MIGs are that great for the genre personally.

A Sunn amp like a Model T or something would work really well. Pretty much any tube Sunn amp really haha. They are often going used for right around a grand.

I recommend you save just a few more hundred and you will be really happy.

I know a dude that uses a Carvin X100 with 6l6s, sounds rull good.

Those are my ideas. hah Hope it helps.
To all of youse guys: Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I'm looking for something in between bedroom and gigging. Right now I am without a band. Unfortunately, Columbus, GA has, as far as I have seen, no sludge/stoner metal musicians. I plan on buying some pedals to make the sound my own. I want a Marshall, due to my extreme love of Mastodon and everything classic, but they are sooo expensive and widely used. I will research all of your suggestions and hopefully pick up a new amp soon. If any of you fellow sludge, stoner, or prog fans want to share riffs or just chat about the glory of all things heavy, just send me a pm here on UG.
You're in Georgia and you can't find stoner/sludge guys to start a band with?! Dude, you have a better chance than me. haha. Michigan is like anti all things good. haha Best of luck man!
Would recommend the Jet City JCA50 for that price range.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
don't bother with the tiny terror. With a sludge metal drummer it would be nigh unusable.
If anything I definitely wouldn't get the crate blue voodoo. Orange was also a good suggestion, look for a used tiny or dual terror.
Quote by alm0st a skat3r

xxx
Quote by handbanana
a jcm 800 for $800? he could get the head for that much, he'd still need a cab

A JCM800 combo shouldn't be too hard to find, and would work excellently.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

900s go for cheaper than the JCM800s, some reason. You'd want a pedal or some signal boost w/ one, though. Not much distortion.
Quote by kenfrazee@gmail
900s go for cheaper than the JCM800s, some reason. You'd want a pedal or some signal boost w/ one, though. Not much distortion.

its because the 800's are far superior. marshall put a solidstate gain stage out in front of the 900's that gives it more of a fizzy sound, it was great in theory, like using a tubescreamer out in front, but it didn't work out so well and you can't turn it off. in reality, i would consider the 900 a hybrid amp. 800's sound a lot better than 900's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Didn't know that. Seen the 900s go for 600$ or less and now I know why.Haha- then the Valvestate; direct opposite with tube pre and s.s. power. Those don't sound terrible, actually.
Why no sovtek MIG?

Depending on the wattage theyre either bassman/800/old plexi clones i think. Would serve well.

Id stay away from recs like the 6505/jet city. Theyre too tight and too modernly voiced IMO. I know matt pike uses a slo, but he runs it in stereo with a matamp/laney/orange or something.
I was thinking about the 800, but the Sunn idea is a good one. If I can find an 800 for cheap, I'll probably go with that one. Any other suggestions?
Peavey VTM's are super cheap and EXCELLENT for stoner/sludge, check 'em out.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by beckyjc
Why no sovtek MIG?

Depending on the wattage theyre either bassman/800/old plexi clones i think. Would serve well.

Id stay away from recs like the 6505/jet city. Theyre too tight and too modernly voiced IMO. I know matt pike uses a slo, but he runs it in stereo with a matamp/laney/orange or something.

He's currently running it with a JCM 800 Kerry King.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
You're in Georgia and you can't find stoner/sludge guys to start a band with?! Dude, you have a better chance than me. haha. Michigan is like anti all things good. haha Best of luck man!

Too bad you don't live in Grand Rapids. Our scene is about to blow up. I know so many obscure, talented metal acts around GR.

Back to topic; If you want that Marshall, get it. You can't go wrong with using what works.
( )( )
( . .)
C('')('')

You will die.
Quote by spiff389
Peavey VTM's are super cheap and EXCELLENT for stoner/sludge, check 'em out.

This! Haha, IDK why I forgot about this amp. John Baizley used one for a long time. They are great.
I think the VTM is what I will go with. Now all that's left is the matter of money. I need everyone that participated on this thread to send me five dollars. Thank you.