Poll: Do you expect a band to play a song differently live?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you expect a band to play a song differently live?
Yes, otherwise I'd just listen to the CD.
44 48%
No, I want to hear the exact songs I know and love.
6 7%
Undecided/Other/Little of both
34 37%
Courageous Violet River Horse
7 8%
Voters: 91.
There's probably a thread on this, but I wasn't sure what to search to get it.

When you go to see a band playing live, would you prefer if they played just like they did on the record, or differently in some way? It could be with improvised (and therefore always different) solo parts, or with a completely new arrangement.

What do you prefer?

Poll up shortly.
Depends. If I'm going to see a band like Paramore or some pop rock band, I wouldn't expect them to do anything new. Now with bands such as Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, maybe Guns 'N Roses, I would like to see them playing different solos or outros and stuff. Maybe adding in a verse or something. Dire Straits always used to do that. Continuously rewriting the songs. I like that.

EDIT: I don't like the poll's first answer. I wouldn't just listen to the CD because that's no way near as good as seeing them live.

Perfect example Santana ft Rob Thomas - Smooth (studio)

Santana ft Rob Thomas - Smooth (live)
Last edited by leg end at Sep 29, 2010,
I kind of like slight variations in live music. Like how Skynyrd would make Free Bird last like twelve minutes, and the Allman Brothers would just totally jam out on everything they played. Not to mention even like heavy metal, if you listen to Crazy Train on Blizzard of Ozz, then listen to it on Tribute, it sounds totally different.
I don't mind if they add in extra choruses but new parts to a song seem stupid.

I want to be able to sing along and not have to stand there and absorb new music.
Yes I do, and this is one of my main issues with Metal bands, since they don't really mix it up live.

Bands like QOTSA, NIN and Muse all mix it up live which is why their live shows are awesome.
I like the band to play about with there songs a little bit. As long as they are still fairly similar to the album version, it's cool.
The poll is stupid. It shouldn't be about expecting but what you WANT to hear. I generally expect to hear the same thing, maybe some improv'd solos. Unless its a progressive band or something. But I'd rather hear differences in some songs to spice it up a bit.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Of course they should be different live, makes the show more fun
Also my band play our songs which we have recorded differently live too.
It's fair enough to keep a song the same because when i go to see a band i wanna hear the song(s) that have made me want to go see them in the first place. It's nice when they add a bit of improv though, as long a sit doesn't ruin the song
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
I love it when bands add shit in live.

Like this for example. They add on a minute with a new intro, and dont play the original intro, but thats fine because SHIT IS AWESOME. They also play it with more of a swing live.

Original for comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6POCV842BFo
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Sep 29, 2010,
I like when bands play their songs differently live. It adds to the entire live experience.

And listening to a CD is completely different than listening to a band live even if they don't change anything up at all.
Quote by leg end
Depends. If I'm going to see a band like Paramore or some pop rock band, I wouldn't expect them to do anything new. Now with bands such as Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, maybe Guns 'N Roses, I would like to see them playing different solos or outros and stuff. Maybe adding in a verse or something. Dire Straits always used to do that. Continuously rewriting the songs. I like that.

EDIT: I don't like the poll's first answer. I wouldn't just listen to the CD because that's no way near as good as seeing them live.

Perfect example Santana ft Rob Thomas - Smooth (studio)

Santana ft Rob Thomas - Smooth (live)

Paramore is awesome at outros and intros check this
Quote by elleild
Paramore is awesome at outros and intros check this

Point made. I've even seen that before and had a live version of Emergency where they did a very cool piano intro. Bad example. But what I meant is that sort of music they don't tend to vary that much from the original song.
I love it when they mix things up quite a bit. Modest Mouse are chronic for busting into an extended jam or variation of a song that is essentially a new song with new lyrics and everything. I never know what to expect at their shows and I LOVE THEM FOR IT! Same with Jack White in whatever band he's in at the time, come out with a brass section or do a cover completely on woodwinds or something, I just love it. Something like this v

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4QbEcVVBHM
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
As long as they make it epic and keep the feel of the song, then I'm happy...but when bands try to be cute and change the key and make it into a reggae song it kind of pisses me off.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I like the way Muse switch things up live, maybe add in a different riff or a heavier outro, and Man with a Harmonica is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBsCscZKeZo

Also when MGMT "jam" at the end of their songs it's pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSVAlEYnUd4&feature=related
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Last edited by mattman93 at Sep 29, 2010,
Courageous Violet River Horse would make a good band name.

Anyway, I don't expect the music to be absolutely different. That said though, I don't want a band that just robotically repeats the studio. That's no fun, I don't want to basically hear an album being played too loud at a concert.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
I don't think live improvisations sound as good as the usual songs. That said, it is nice to hear other things or parts of a favourite song in a different way to prevent things getting too repetitive. I can't say I blame them either, playing the same songs in the same order for weeks on end must get a little dull.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I like both. I dont want a complete improvisation though, maybe just a change in style, idk, a song takes its own form as time goes on and I'd like it to work with the identity of the music. But yeah, I wouldnt want an exact replica of the music on the album. I want the music to be alive, in simplest terms.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

I don't really care if the band does it, but if they do I am pleasantly surprised, and I start going "Oh wow, that's different... Cool..."
I expect a band to jam and improv at least a bit, unless it's a jazz orchestra or something.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I'm not big on 100% planned out note-for-note performances. My absolute favorite aspect of music is improvisation. I could probably listen to any one of my favorite bands go on stage and just jam for an hour. I just love the organic process of playing off of what you hear rather than from memory or from a sheet.

Now if they suck at improv, that's a whole different story.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Chili Peppers do live stuff perfectly, with all the improv'd solo's and whatnot, sounds amazing and mixes it up a bit.
depends on the band/song
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
It drives me crazy when a singer doesn't sing as good, or doesn't seem to try very hard when singing live. I'm more on the studio side, but a mix of both is good.
Quote by SunTime
It drives me crazy when a singer doesn't sing as good, or doesn't seem to try very hard when singing live. I'm more on the studio side, but a mix of both is good.
There's a difference between not performing your song properly and taking creative liberties. If anything, I'd be willing to bet the singers that sing the song exactly like the record are more prone to sound lackluster than those who are active in trying to make the song develop in an organic way.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I saw Chickenfoot live a few weeks ago. Satch played new solos for just about every song, though they were all equally awesome, or more awesome, than the ones on the album. It was epic.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.