would it be a good idea? terrible idea?
dont you need epoxy or veneering glue or can i just use wood glue?
also, how long should i keep the veneer under pressure so it stays on the wood? 24 hours?

how to i glue on a scarf joint headstock? how should i set up the clamps ?
Last edited by necroscience13 at Sep 29, 2010,
Ive been using wood glue to glue veneer for years.. never had a problem. after all, veneer is wood... Just dont use too much glue to where it squeezes thru the grain pores to the top.

As far as how long ot leave it, it depends on the temperature... its so hot here in NM, i only leave mine for about an hour or so.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Ive been using wood glue to glue veneer for years.. never had a problem. after all, veneer is wood... Just dont use too much glue to where it squeezes thru the grain pores to the top.

As far as how long ot leave it, it depends on the temperature... its so hot here in NM, i only leave mine for about an hour or so.

Do you use a vacuum setup? I had a heck of a time with veneer on my guitar. I had to do one side 3 times. I couldn't get it to lay flat. The 3rd time I ironed it on and that seemed to work well.
Quote by necroscience13
cool.

another question, i just glued together 2 pieces of wood that are going to be my headstock, how long should i leave them under clamps? its been about 3 hours, do i need to wait 24hour?

id say you're fine to take it out of the clamps, but i wouldn't do much work besides minor sanding for about 24 hours.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Sand bags work well when putting on veneer.

Personally, I'll leave my glued up things 2 days if I have other stuff I can do during that time. 1 day is plenty, although as said, it depends on the temperature and humidity.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MonkeyLink07
Sand bags work well when putting on veneer.

Personally, I'll leave my glued up things 2 days if I have other stuff I can do during that time. 1 day is plenty, although as said, it depends on the temperature and humidity.

Sand bags worked perfect for the first half. The second half would not cooperate. I had such a miserable experience, I'm done with veneer. It didn't help that this is my very first guitar. I've only been working on it for about a year. LOL The spray can lacquer finish is kicking my butt right now. Almost to clear coat though. I shouldn't have attempted a flamed maple sunburst with dye and paint on my first guitar.

Sorry for the hijack.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Why would anybody use white elmers glue for gluing on a fretboard?/ just use your same wood glue...

I dont have a vacuum press. I just apply glue, and clamp a 3/4" MDF template to teh top of with all of my clamps,l just as you would with a real top. never had a problem doing it this way.

idk, i thought i read it somewhere but i was taking off a couple of fretboards of some older necks and they used yellow glue.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
First off, you need to not be in such a hurry... that alone will destroy any project you work on. I would say no, dont take them off... you need to learn patience.. ESPECIALLY with glue. its whats holding your guitar together. Just relax, and wait until tomorrow.
i am not impatient, just eager to build, i will wait until tomorrow to take the clamps off, in the meantime, ill work one something else.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Ok, good man. i am just trying to save you some frustration... I used to play that game. Trying to do everything as soon as i could and not lose a minute. It never worked out well, until i learned to take my time and not rush. Good luck.

+1......time is a virtue

my general rule is if I glue it then I leave it clamped til the next day

I have had good and bad results with veneer .....my last build (a doubleneck) had a very nice maple burl veneer that was a bit tricky because it was very very fragile...did the sand bags to start and luckily checked it after an hour because parts bubble where the heavy burl was...so I ended up using contact glue so I could apply pressure by hand and have it stick quickly...worked really well