Im thinking about getting a Boss GT-10 for my birthday but i've been thinking if it would be better for me to get separate pedals. I play metal and rock. Any suggestions?
Seperate pedals will cost more but each has its own character (not individually but by brand)
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Depends on your budget. Obviously, a decent pedal that's dedicated to one single effect, will most likely do it better than a pedal that can do 23904283049324 million different things would. But if you can't afford alot of seperate pedals, then a Multi-effects pedal ought to do you just fine.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
I personally like separate pedals and feel that I get a better tone. I have a pedal board but I couldn't ever get the feedback to quiet down and I never could tweak the settings to where I wanted. It was a higher end multi too(can't remember now since I haven't used it in years).
"For we are nothing without brotherhood and brotherhood is nothing without our brothers" -We Came As Romans
one thing for sure: if you want distortion pedal, use a seperate one. the distortion in multi fx pedals are so digital sounding.
What effects are you looking for? If you're only looking for a couple of sounds single pedals are better, but if you want a lot of effects right now, a multiFX will be best. Single pedals are almost always better, granted you buy good pedals ofcourse. If you want to experiment with effects, multiFX is the way to go.
Quote by icm871
Im thinking about getting a Boss GT-10 for my birthday but i've been thinking if it would be better for me to get separate pedals. I play metal and rock. Any suggestions?

Simple question: Exactly what effects do you want?
If the answer is "I dont know" then get a MFX pedal, this will help you find out which effects you like and which you dont.
If you know exactly which pedals to go for, then i'd probably say individual pedals are for you, unless you want about 50 different effects.
If you have a rough idea, but you are still unsure about some then maybe a cheap MFX like the zoom G1, to let you know if you would use some of the less common effects, but spend most on seperate pedals. For example, i wasnt sure whether or not i'd use wah enough to make it worth buying a wah pedal and several others. About the only one i was sure id use was distortion and a noise gate. Now i know which ones i use a lot, i'll start buying individual pedals. Plus i'll still have the MFX if i want to have a quick rehersal with a mate or something and dont want to lug my whole rig around.
Quote by icm871

You should get a POD instead of a BOSS GT-10.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline