I plan to make a living from music. Do you think making enough money to live off of by means of music is unrealistic? By this I mean doing paid pub gigs, functions, weddings etc? Would it be difficult to do?
depends where you live, if you live in a big city it may be easier to find gigs,
but it is probably possible
GENERIC SIGNATURE
Going into a tough industry without a proper business plan, you might wanna get used to shopping at Lidl. Though i'd imagine you'd have a lot of spare time doing that kind of job, so you can give lessons and stuff to make more money on the side. It's not the worst idea ever.
it would be hard to start out with no income

it is unrealistic to think you could make a living off of musical income alone to start out with. but after you established yourself in your area and if you booked gigs then it is an entirely realistic idea, and yes it would be difficult
John Hancock
It's certainly possible, but I think:
1) It's best if you have some sort of backup plan, and
2) Always think twice before devoting your entire life to something. I still don't know what kind of life I want to lead. It takes a lot of confidence to dedicate yourself to something, especially a life in music.

Will you enjoy playing pubs and weddings? Will you be able to sustain your creativity?
I wasn't expecting to quit my job (if I had one) and go straight off tomorrow and just go for it. It's a long term goal. I'm gunna do open mic nights and stuff in pubs and try get a few paid slots. Then build up from there. I'll always have a job as well in case things go tits up. But I would like to be able to work maybe 2 or 3 days a week and be able to make enough money from gigs and stuff to be financially comfortable

Quote by metaldud536
You and every other 15 year old who learns to play guitar.

*18. I have a lot of drive, I'm persistent and hard working. If I wanna get somewhere or something, I usually work at it until I get it. I'm not gunna get distracted within 5 minutes of the idea
Last edited by leg end at Sep 29, 2010,
It's not impossible to make comfortable money in music, but your revenue stream is too narrow. You are not going to get by doing that. Being a musician is being a business entity. If that's your only service, you are not going to make much unless you are exceptional in a world of highly specialized musicians.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I wouldn't try to make my living off music unless I knew I had a talent that was better than everybody else's out there. The music business is a risky one, always have a Plan B. (A.k.a. don't quit your job, play on the side.)
I pride myself on my humility.
Ah damn it, I'm an idealist, I say go for it if you're sure it's what you want.
Even if it'll be hard I'm positive that you can do it if you keep your goal in mind and never give up, you'll find a way sooner or later.
Don't do it until you get the leprechaun's pot of gold. Only then will you be lucky enough to make it without being signed.

On a serious note, if you're good enough, go for it, but don't expect too much income from it. If you really wanna be on a good path with music, I would look into becoming a studio musician. If they take you, you'd probably be better off than just looking for gigs that would probably only pay a couple hundreds bucks a show with no guarantee of playing there again.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
it'll be VERY difficult, todays mass market has no room for talent (justin bieber and the such) only marketability
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
nope, I don't think you can do it TS.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
you deserve this.

PSN: reldask
Definetly can be done, and I would encourage it. But, it will be hard. But its been done by a lot of people.
Quote by reldask
you deserve this.

Why? Because I have ambition and want to actually use my guitar playing for something useful? You're a knob and therefore deserve

(Invalid img)
Quote by leg end
Why? Because I have ambition and want to actually use my guitar playing for something useful?

Ambition without strategy is still nothing.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Ambition without strategy is still nothing.

Indeed. Hence why I said in my second post (I think) that I am going to start small and work up in short.
One of my friends got signed to a booking agent just from playing 2/3 hours of covers for parties and functions. Gets shit loads of money for it.

If not, move to Spain, get a holiday villa to rent out to holidaymakers, and join a covers band, they love covers bands in bars over there.
Quote by leg end
Indeed. Hence why I said in my second post (I think) that I am going to start small and work up in short.

That's not good enough though. You're not gaining a good enough perspective of exactly what the market is like. If you want to be a musician--fine, but you have to really know what you're getting into.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
It's ok, TS, I have aspirations of living off my music too.

Thankfully, my girlfriend has serious connections with major labels, and is getting me an audition in front of roughly 10 of them by the end of next month. So I guess I'm just getting insanely lucky in that regard (assuming I get signed)

Long story short, start plowing a girl who has good connections in the industry, then mooch like hell until you make it.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P

Quote by Xiaoxi
That's not good enough though. You're not gaining a good enough perspective of exactly what the market is like. If you want to be a musician--fine, but you have to really know what you're getting into.

That's why I said I was going to keep a job while I try build something of it. I'm not gunna dive in head first without a backup. I like learning from my own mistakes. You don't make any mistakes and you won't properly understand. I know it won't be smooth sailing from the off and it will likely go tits up several times.

Quote by Snap017
It's ok, TS, I have aspirations of living off my music too.

Thankfully, my girlfriend has serious connections with major labels, and is getting me an audition in front of roughly 10 of them by the end of next month. So I guess I'm just getting insanely lucky in that regard (assuming I get signed)

Long story short, start plowing a girl who has good connections in the industry, then mooch like hell until you make it.

I know Billy Bragg and am friends with his son. They live not 10 minutes up the road. Just sayin'
Last edited by leg end at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by leg end
I know Billy Bragg and am friends with his son. They live not 10 minutes up the road. Just sayin'

...who is Billy Bragg?
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P