so i have a possible recording job coming up.The guy would come to my house and use my recording equipment and have me mix it.i have minimal experiance just from doing some none serious recordings of my own stuff.So i need some help.

Here is what i have

ux1
sm57
sm58
Reaper

What he wants to do:

Record just acoustic and vocals.

I know i need to double track the guitar and pan them L and R,but for acoustic would i need to quad track them or is it not needed?

do i need to double track the vocals?

i will be recording the vocals with the sm58.

for the acoustic what would be better the sm57 or 58 and how would i best position it:distance from the guitar?placement on the guitar?

any help would be greatly appericiated
As far as double tracking/panning, that's all dependent on the end result you're looking for. Which sounds better? Do the vocals sound like they need more 'girth'? If so, double tracking would be the way to go, providing you've already looked at your setup and found that their aren't any EQ/mic placement issues (sometimes thin sounding vocals can be a result of the mic being just a couple inches too far away).

Same goes for the guitar. With guitar recording, especially acoustic, mic placement is key to good tone. Experiment with different mic positions (by the lower-rear of the body, in front of the sound hole, to the side, etc) and experiment with ambient/room mic-ing as well.

You can use both your mics for a combination of the tones. Using the sm58, try starting with placing it above his head (about 4 feet) while he plays, with the 57 positioned as you've determined for the best sound result. The end result will be a nice, natural reverb on one track with the main guitar track still clean. Then blend the two.

These are just ideas, but before you actually start recording you'll want to experiment with a variety of mic-ing techniques and figure out what the best sound for him will be. If possible you'll want to do it by yourself first with an acoustic and figure out where to place the mics for a "base" tone to start out with, then when he gets there it'll just be a matter of tweaking it to get a sound that faithfully reproduces what he does (bear in mind that your singing and playing will differ from his, so don't use *your* best results for *his* sound).

Hope that helps.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
IMO .. it depends on the acoustics of the room your recording in.. You should probably spend time mixing and matching different mic placements.. one mic might do the trick. 2 mics might do the trick. Idk what kind of sound your after, so exacts are hard to say. If you want more freedom to mix the vocals and guitar, record them separately or use two separate mics. If you want something ambient and raw.. just use one mic. I don't know much about mics, I cant help you with what kind of mic to use.

As for the actual mixing process.. do whatever sounds good. Don't do something unless you think it will help. Another thing, double tracking isnt the answer to everything. Just get the acoustic guitar and vocal track going.. and just build everything from that. For all you know.. one guitar track, one vocal track might just work by itself. After you record the track, throw a little bit of reverb on the tracks and EQ it a little bit see how it sounds.

I would double track the vocals.. Id play around with the guitar sound tho. If you decide to double track anything.. set them at different frequencies.. so you can get a 'wider' sound. Consider overdubbing a bassline with the acoustic guitar. Or why not throw some electric in the mix?
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Sep 29, 2010,
^addendum: Try recording with him both playing and singing first, but IMO your best best is to record him playing a track, then once that's sounding good, have him sing on a pair of separate tracks using the same main mic/ambient mic type setup (again, make sure you test it yourself first to get a good idea of where to place your ambient mic to get the best results, sometimes these may differ between guitar and vocals because of the ranges of each).
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
i would use both mics on the guitar. which one you use where isnt going to make too much of a difference since they are almost exactly the same anyway. i point one at the body towards the soundhole and the other towards the neck, between the 12th fret and where the neck meets the body. well, except you cant do that with a ux1 since it has only one input. so never mind.

double tracking an acoustic can work well, or can sound bad. it depends on what you are going for in the song. dont just double track because people say you should.

as for mixing, well start with making sure the guy lays down the guitar track with a metronome. that will make your and his job easier. lots of stuff you can try out. ive got a few things i personally want to try next time i record an acoustic. like throwing a high pass filter on my main track at around 80 Hz, then pasting the track to use for my low end. second track gets a low pass somewhere in the 150-200 range, gets massively compressed, and add a bit of overdrive. i have no idea how that will sound or if it will work for, but its just the kind of experimentation you should be looking for. mess around with some effects (keep it subtle) and just make sure things fit together EQ wise.
thanks for all the great tips.I am pretty nervous about it cause i have never done this for anyone before so hopefully it all goes well.
Quote by brender
thanks for all the great tips.I am pretty nervous about it cause i have never done this for anyone before so hopefully it all goes well.

I'm sure you'll do fine. Just read up as much as you can, and experiment with mic placement and room acoustics thoroughly before he shows up. Do as much of your homework as you can so you don't waste your time or his.

Be sure to let us know how it went!
-Guitar Gear-
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
I think you should unscrew the windshield of the 58 and use the 58 and the 57 together, for the acoustic, in an X-Y pattern (i.e a 90° angle between their capsules) with one aimed at around the join between neck and body (usually 12th fret) and the other aimed bridge-side of the soundhole and then adjust as you see fit from there, thats the setup I usually use, albeit with different mics. Vocals probably won't need double tracking in such a sparse arrangement or they'll be overpowering.

Edit: most of this is redundant as I didn't realise, but probably should have guessed, that the UX1 only has one input!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Sep 29, 2010,