Tried one of these recently, and they go for a fairly good price, however, that box like tone did get quite annoying.

Is this the natural character of the amp? or is it just the combo's build quality or speakers?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Yeah, that's the nature of the amp. There are mods out there that help get rid of it, though.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Fair enough, shame really that it's like that, cause it seems to have a lot of potential for the price.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

From what I've heard, the box like tone is a natural quality of the amp. In one of the reviews I've watched he had it hooked up to an Avatar 2x12 and it still sounded compressed(?).

For some reason he has since privatized a bunch of videos so I can't find it now, but they are apparently notorious for that compressed tone.
I still might pick one up, considering you can pick em up for like 450 posted. It took a while but it was possible to coax some nice tones out of it.
Quote by ZanasCross

The alchemist I owned was ok at best.........it was a 112 and the cabinet rattled terrible at higher volumes....
I had one, but I can't really recall what it sounded like. It was a good sounding enough amp, everyone who heard mine liked it. But it just wasn't me, to compressed for a good crunch and not aggressive enough for much beyond that. And the v30s pretty much make the cleans worthless, so I couldn't comment on them.

In my combo you could hear the tubes rattling when it was turned up. And I have heard of reliability issues
similar to Kathras i've heard that there are mods that really 'open up' the compressed sound of the alchemist. There was videos of the mods done on youtube, maybe you can still find them on there perhaps?