Well ive been playing guitar for a year now but i am just learning the music theory, scales, notes and such. But i was wondering, how could one take a scale like A minor and turn it into a riff or solo? Thanks
Quote by Lalaporo
Well ive been playing guitar for a year now but i am just learning the music theory, scales, notes and such. But i was wondering, how could one take a scale like A minor and turn it into a riff or solo? Thanks

hey, im kind of in the same situation as you, but i dont play for that long xP
the best and only way i know to do it is to just mess around with the scale till you find a sound you like, then you do the bits and pieces thing, and make it perfect, i recently did this, im also very new to scales, im still working on the pentatonic.

hope it helped
Last edited by tntero at Sep 29, 2010,
Use notes from it. That's really all there is to it.

I don't mean to be like "oh, it's so easy," because that's not true. The notes aren't even half of it.

Try taking a few notes out of the scale (we'll pick A B and C for this example). Play just those three notes in different orders, rhythms and accents/dynamics. Instead of just doing A B C B A in a constant eighth or quarter note pattern, try something like A B A B C B A, maybe try holding out the C a bit longer or something.

Quote by Lalaporo
like change the notes or just the tempo?
Well you certainly can change the notes, but you need to learn how to work with the notes in the scale first.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by Lalaporo
like change the notes or just the tempo?

you'll end up, like most solos, hiding some notes, repeating others and even adding notes, while changing the tempo, its really personal, works differently on every person, im just telling what i do
So a you could make one from E minor- E F# G A B C D E and make somthing like G F# D C D A C D A G? Witch would be this in tabs-

e|---------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-5--4---------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------5--3--2--0--3--2--0----------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------3--------------------------------|
Quote by Lalaporo
So a you could make one from E minor- E F# G A B C D E and make somthing like G F# D C D A C D A G? Witch would be this in tabs-

e|---------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------------|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-5--4---------------------------------------------------------|
A|-------5--3--2--0--3--2--0----------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------3--------------------------------|

yeah, thats it, and about making sense, if it makes sense to you, and you like how it sounds, keep it, theres no formula to write songs, you just write what you feel confortable with, and if you like that pattern you created (i kinda like it, i might change some things, but not today, its late here xD) you keep it, and eventually, there will come up an oportunity to use it, wether its a solo, or a riff, when it comes you'll notice it xD, just keep writing, so if your in a band, and lets say, the drumer gives you a beat, or the bass player gives a bassline, you pull out some riffs you wrote and try them out to see which fit better, got it?

im out for today

Keep on rockin \m/