Can anyone tell me the difference? I had my mind set on buying a used 401, but today a used 400 popped up in my area's Craigslist for $300, and it's definitely tempting me...
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
Quick google search revealed that the 400 has passive pickups and the 401 (which I had liked as well, you have good taste) has active EMG's.

I'd personally go for the 401
Just found this: http://www.espguitars.com/esp2006/guitars_ec.html

It says most everything is the same (and the pickups are active), the only differences I found were the binding and the neck for the 400 was three pieces instead of one. Can anyone confirm or deny the quality of the 400? I'd like to go try it out, but it's about 30 miles away, and with work and school I probably won't be able to go see it until the weekend...
Gear:

YDG!?
I played an EC-1000 at guitar center once and it played quite well, but unfortunately I can't vouch for the 400...
i cant tell you about the 400,

but the MH401 that i had was a great guitar and of really good quality, so either guitar is porbably a solid bet if the owner has looked after them.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by YDG?
Just found this: http://www.espguitars.com/esp2006/guitars_ec.html

It says most everything is the same (and the pickups are active), the only differences I found were the binding and the neck for the 400 was three pieces instead of one. Can anyone confirm or deny the quality of the 400? I'd like to go try it out, but it's about 30 miles away, and with work and school I probably won't be able to go see it until the weekend...

I can tell you about it.

The difference is when it was made. 401's are new, and the 400's are older. Given that the brand is LTD, this pretty much assuredly means that the 400 is better than the 401. I'm not sure exactly what year this is, but there's a chance it might even be MIK. You should not be worried about it being "as good". LTD's quality has dropped as time has gone on.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Body shape is also different.

dont know if that matters to you.

The MII 401 I had felt identical to the MIKs and very close to the MIJs so I wouldnt worry about the place it was built.

Just play them both if you can and pick from that.

The body contours look different to me.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 29, 2010,
So, I ended up having my friend cover for me at work and went to go see it. It was almost identical to a 401, the knobs looked a little different (which may or may not have been my imagination), and as Tom pointed out, the body shape is a little different.

And something he forgot to mention in the ad; he was putting in a free, custom-fitted ESP case ($120 new). It was missing an endpin, but afterwards I went to GC and they just gave me a spare one for free (they don't match now, but I don't care :p).

And if you couldn't tell by the second part of the last paragraph, I ended up buying it. They're $600 new, and the case would've been another $120. This one had a few scratches on the body (which didn't bother me at all, any properly used guitar is bound to have a few) and it was missing an endpin. Definitely worth the $300 I spent, and it nicely complements my Peavey Vypyr. I'll probably post a NGD thread tomorrow with pics if anyone's curious.
Gear:

YDG!?