Hey, ive recently found an old strat copy lying around, and decided to have some fun.

Im down to the Alder body, and i want a natural finish, with a kinda glossy professional look... heres a photo of what i mean:

Im assuming its just many coats of lacquer ?

Any tips of where to look for help would be very much appreciated, im kinda new to refinishing. Thanks!
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
It's probably polyurethane. And yes, many coats. Sand it down ultra-smooth (use 400 grit to finish), and apply a sealer. Sand that with 400. Apply another coat of sealer. Sand that one with 800 grit. Spray with poly, sanding with 800 grit, until you have 4-8 coats. Make sure you spray lightly and evenly, and allow a LOT of time for drying between coats.

The trick is to use a lot of light, even coats to get a shine. If your coats are too thick it will be just as protective, but the finish will look foggy and dull. If your coats are WAY too thick, they will not be hard.

Personally, I prefer a hand-rubbed lacquer with a stain. It's not as protective and it's more work, but I feel it looks, feels, and sounds much better. I did that to a cheap strat copy as a practice run, and I swear it's lighter and sustains longer now. It's also more prone to belt buckle rash though.
google search the hell out of 'tung oil' and 'tru oil', also

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688011

it's funny, i'm actually in the same possie as you right now. trying to figure out how to go about a natural finish haha

good luck
You could also use Tung oil.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Use tung oil. Easier to get great results.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.