Ok, so I've got about $300 to spend on recording. I plan on recording mostly guitar and bass. I really need some help.
ESP LTD V-100
Fender M-80 Chorus
Line 6 UX2
or
Stealthpedal
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Line 6 UX2 or the new MBox Mini, hell if you want, go used and find an Mbox 2.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
If you JUST need the interface, I'd go with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

Also see this list of videos. I have a $500 budget starter coming out soon but may also do a $300 version later today as for that price you can get a better interface than the one suggested on the $200 budget.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12150078
People love to complain...I've worked with the FTP at a local store and the preamp was plenty loud enough for things like a Shure SM57 on an acoustic guitar.
You cant use it with standard ProTools but must use it with the M-Powered version that was made by M-Audio. I run it on my old machine just fine using a 2496 PCI card. The only thing PT doesn't like is the new 64bit OS and I'm not even sure how it works on 32bit Windows 7 these days...

Everyone is going to run into an issue with an interface every now and then and when they do, they will find a forum to complain about their issue.
M-Audio is top gear for the price you pay. The fast tracks are brilliant. Personally I prefer to mic up to raw amp tone, rather than record direct with a cable, but that's when things start to get expensive. M-Audio is budget and quality compared to some of the shocking interfaces I have used in the past.