So, I've started swimming lately for fitness reasons. The problem is, I wear contacts. Is there any health risk in keeping them in (while wearing goggles) when swimming?

Just thought I'd ask.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
I wouldn't do it if I were you.
I have bad experience with 'em. In the end I ended getting up googles with zoom++.
I did... but those all just tell me that theres a chance something could happen. I was just wondering if anyone here actually does it.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by Braiton
I wouldn't do it if I were you.
I have bad experience with 'em. In the end I ended getting up googles with zoom++.

What exactly happened?
Quote by pielover375
Quote by gacharya
I did... but those all just tell me that theres a chance something could happen. I was just wondering if anyone here actually does it.

Quote by yahoo
i do it every day at practice, but i wear goggles

Quote by yahoo
'm a swimmer and i wear my contacts at practice everyday.

I think the message is just don't get water in your eye. As long as you wear good goggles and don't swim in filthy lakes it shouldn't be a problem.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
there are prescription goggles out there for people with bad eyesight. i don't have immediate experience, but my brother wears one of these, a -4.0 for him. my friends have taught swimming to kids with contact lenses on, but they cannot/will not dip their face underwater without goggles on. so i guess that tells you something.

if you decide to wear contacts under your goggles, make sure you don't bump into anybody or get water in there?

here's the pair my brother uses.
http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7789.htm
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
In a pool: chlorine

In a river/lake/pond/bay/sea/ocean/anythingnotpool: bacteria between your eyes and contacts.

Goggles leak
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
I surf with my contacts. I've never had a problem. In fact, I have more problems with my contacts just walking around than I do in the ocean. Just don't open your eyes under water or they'll fall out so I hear. Aside from that, it shouldn't be a problem.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
If chlorine gets in your eye, that is really bad. It gets in between your eye and the contact lense. Your eyes need oxygen, they need to breathe like we do. Chlorine is a deadly chemical, so caught between your eye and contact does damage to your eye over time. I've worn contact lenses in the pool a few times. I opened my eyes under water. No, they don't fall out, at least for me they didn't. I did notice that when I would go to take them out, they would sort of stick to me eye.
Rockabilly rules, Okay?