Hey folks frequent viewer first time poster . I just got a Warwick Rockbass the other day and when i took of the old strings the nut came off. I did some looking around and its one of those Just a nut. saw that there is a plastic bracket of some sort on the side holding it that broke off. my question is would it affect anything if i just placed the nut and threw some strings on it letting the tension keep it in place.
This happened to my RB nut aswell. The plastic JAN is a terrible idea, the two strips of plastic that elevate the nut are just too thin and anything as simple as moving the strings snaps them.

I replaced the nut with a Tusq nut that I got for free on another forum. It seems to have worked. Just remember to remove the other strip of plastic that covers the truss rod (That the JAN sat on), or your new nut may sit too high.
Ok thanks for the help! do you mean the other bracket that didn't snap off or the base on which the nut sits on. because it looks like its part of the headstock.
Left handed bass player

1998 Fender Mexico Jazz Bass

2006 Warwick 5-string Rockbass
The base in which the nut sits. I removed it (it took a light tug will pliers) but the more I think about it, you could just leave it there and use it as a base for your new nut, you may need to file it down a little further than usual if you do that, but it's not a big deal as you'll be filling it down anyway. Disregard my original idea completely.
haha alright. Thanks for your help!
Left handed bass player

Those side tab things don't matter, mine broke off too. It's a problem with the JANII.

Fortunately they fixed the problem with the JANIII, which is a very nice nut. I'd order one of those if I were you personally, they're fantastic.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
how does it stay on the headstock? like a traditional nut?
Left handed bass player