Seriously, this is beginning to bug me big time.

I've been playing bass for almost 4 years and still I have no finger calluses on my fretting hand (my right). I've got (or had) a thumb callus from playing slap-bass (lost most of it falling off my bike) yet my frettting hand doesn't seem to have any sort of callus there at all.

Mind you, I have no problem playing without calluses (I can play for hours). It's just that it's weird that I don't have any....
I'm a guitarist (a little less intense on the fingers) and I never got calluses. My fingers simply stopped hurting. Trust me, it's actually better to be like this. I hear people complain about how thick calluses can be.
Quote by Guitar Sushi
I'm a guitarist (a little less intense on the fingers) and I never got calluses. My fingers simply stopped hurting. Trust me, it's actually better to be like this. I hear people complain about how thick calluses can be.

Could be just the bassists I've talked with and known, but all of them swear that getting calluses is essential.
you mite have them, they may just be very thin and not noticeable like mine.

There is no discoloration or anything, just slightly harder skin.
Quote by Guitar Sushi

i play guitar also, you probably have calluses you just dont notice them

compare your fingers to the same fingers on the other hand by touching 1 finger with your thumb and the other finger with the same thumb.

on mine theres a huge difference
yeah ive never really gotten them, from bass or guitar
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
To be honest this is one of the last things you should be worried about. If your fingertips become tender after playing for a bit then it would be an issue, but if there's no pain then you're fine.

What strings do you use, by the way?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
To be honest this is one of the last things you should be worried about.

this.

just fucking play for god's sake.

I barely have calluses either, but I don't feel the need to make a thread about it because it in no way impinges my ability or desire to play bass.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Nothing to worry about, i usually end up biting my callouses off anyway they get so annoying. if you ever do get a blister, do not put a hole in it or anything or else you will be sorely tempted to rip off the callous when it hardens.
Quote by food1010
To be honest this is one of the last things you should be worried about. If your fingertips become tender after playing for a bit then it would be an issue, but if there's no pain then you're fine.

What strings do you use, by the way?

Rotosound 66 Swing Bass light gauge.

@NakedBassist: I made the thread because I thought I might be doing something wrong or that I might do damage to my skin/hands.
I don't get obvious calluses either, and I play really hard on stainless steel strings.

Don't worry, I imagine the skin toughens up without an obvious callus forming. If there's no pain you're probably not doing anything wrong.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
ive been playing for a year and a half now.no callouses an d'addario mediums and ernie ball power bass strings.if it doesnt bug you then be like the beatles and let it be
take a pin or something and touch the tips of your fingers if you cant tell be touching with your thumb. ive done this and found out that only my ring and little finger on my picking hand feel a little pain. but its whatever if there is no pain when you play then dont worry
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I made the thread because I thought I might be doing something wrong or that I might do damage to my skin/hands.

really?

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Mind you, I have no problem playing without calluses (I can play for hours). It's just that it's weird that I don't have any....

nope, I'd say this is a thread made for the sake of making a thread.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Why do you always post threads concerning your health or something with pain? The bass is an instrument, not a freaking deadly weapon.
pinga
I never had them from guitar/bass, so I wouldn't worry. I've been playing guitar for nearly 11 years and bass for 5.

I got them from drums, but that's a lot different.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Am I the last bassist with some callous on their fingers? I love my big beautiful callouses, they give you the ability to do completely unnecessary things like pull the cherry out of your cigarette and put it back in, jam needles in and watch them just stick out... Also could be why I can never get withing touching distance of a beautiful woman
Quote by Momentosis
You guys are getting raped and killed?

Quote by jonathan666666

You win.

In The Amber
Come check us out!
I think the level/extent of your callus depends on what you play on, if you had a shitty guitar then your fingers might have callused more. If you you started off with like a Musicman that plays like butter, Idoubt you'd have any. Also might have to do with string thickness seriously idk...my uncle and I started playing at the same time and he callused like crazy and you can't even see mine and I play 11's(same tuning)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
I think the level/extent of your callus depends on what you play on, if you had a shitty guitar then your fingers might have callused more. If you you started off with like a Musicman that plays like butter, Idoubt you'd have any. Also might have to do with string thickness seriously idk...my uncle and I started playing at the same time and he callused like crazy and you can't even see mine and I play 11's(same tuning)

The piece of wood that the strings are on makes no difference because you don't touch the guitar/bass with your finger tips. Different strings will, though.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

I fingerpick heavy strings with high-ish action. My fingertips on both hands literally click.

My brother plays as much as I do, but lighter strings/lower action, and has nearly none at all.

The moral? I don't have the slightest clue, but I think the point is, don't worry about it.
Quote by druggietoad2k5
The piece of wood that the strings are on makes no difference because you don't touch the guitar/bass with your finger tips. Different strings will, though.

the string action, the way it is set up and things such as the quality of the frets/nut /bridge will decide how much pressure you would have to apply to the actual fretboard, therefore they do have to do something with this. Guitars/Bass aren't that simple to break down as you did, strings make a difference, but they are the ONLY difference either.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Google some shit, use some common sense, stop making threads. The bass forum isn't a fucking doctor. Weren't you permabanned?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Pointless thread is pointless. Please stop making threads about the smallest of concerns. IF you're not having any trouble with it, then you're not doing anything wrong. If you are still worried about it, go see a doctor.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding