I'm new to the Ultimate Guitar Forums, but I've been playing for a few years, and have been collecting various gear and amps. I know where almost every piece of my gear has come from, as well as its specific model name/history and year make save one. This SG.

Now, I know several people will be quick to point out that this is an Epiphone Les Paul Custom G-400 SG, and will question why on earth I am wasting their time with this post. To those people I say, find it in black on the web. This model is NOT the typical G400 custom, and as far as I can tell, is a "Custom" G400 Custom (as redundant as that sounds)

All I'm trying to find out is the year it was made, any significant differences to the regular G400 custom it might have (it appears very close in design, but there are a few things on the modern G400's that dont line up with this one) and if it's worth more or less than the regular G400. ***NOTE*** This guitar is not for sale, I'm trying to find the worth so I can appraise it for insurance.

A few things on it that may help you guys:

1: On the back of the headstock it has a logo that reads "Epiphone" Limited Edition Custom Shop, in gold lettering. (sorry I cant provide a pic of that at the moment, my camera is messed up, and the only pic I have is from a couple of years ago)

2: It has Grover Tuners, not the Kluson inspired ones like the newer G400's have

3: I think it was made before 2005 because I bought it from a guy 2 years ago and he claimed he had owned it for 3 years

Long story short, can someone help me find the origins of this SG?
Attachments:
SG resized 2.bmp
oh, and if this is in the wrong section, could someone tell me where this topic is supposed to go?
If its a fake, then its the most well made fake I've ever seen. This a real Epiphone SG as far as I can tell, and it doesnt look to be modified in any way. I can probably get a higher quality photos on in the next few days.

Its not like somebody refinished this thing, it came from the factory like this, since its black even inside the pickup housings and where the pots are installed. I also accidentally chipped a small bit of paint off the back of the neck and its pure white, not the offwhite of the regular G400's
Last edited by MrMoustaffa at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by LolCatGuitar
It might be fake, if you bought it from some random guy.
Do you know what the serial number is?
I bet some guys on this fourm could figure that out.

second that. or just email epiphone with the serial number, and they can prolly help you out
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Epiphone G400 Custom

Its legit. Its based on the Gibson Les Paul Custom 1961 ( which was later renamed the SG ) just without the maestro style trem.

Its real.

Nice guitar too.

EDIT.

Its not a special model,

Just a black one that they dont make any more and it sold for about $500-600 new.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by LolCatGuitar
Yeah, regardless if it's a fake, as long as you didn't spend like a grand on it and it sounds nice and is very playable, it pretty sweet.

$350 for it and the case, but I know its worth more than that.

Thanks man, I saw the limited edition and wasnt sure if this was a higher end epiphone like the new Slash "Appetite" Les Paul
Last edited by MrMoustaffa at Sep 29, 2010,
http://www.guitarltd.com/Gibson/Gibson_Electric_Guitars.php?q=category%3AElectric+Guitars&page=3&sort=relevance&brand=Epiphone&st=d

there you go.

its just an older model in a colour they dont make any more.

Chances are its MIK and the LTD ED thing unfortunately doesnt mean much as they make so many LTD ED guitars over the years.

but if its an older MIK hang on to it, my MIK Epi EX is an amazing guitar, thats LTD ED too actually lol

hold on to it, its a nice example of a rare guitar.

the full name is Epiphone G400 Custom, colour is Ebony

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by Tom 1.0
http://www.guitarltd.com/Gibson/Gibson_Electric_Guitars.php?q=category%3AElectric+Guitars&page=3&sort=relevance&brand=Epiphone&st=d

there you go.

its just an older model in a colour they dont make any more.

Chances are its MIK and the LTD ED thing unfortunately doesnt mean much as they make so many LTD ED guitars over the years.

but if its an older MIK hang on to it, my MIK Epi EX is an amazing guitar, thats LTD ED too actually lol

hold on to it, its a nice example of a rare guitar.

the full name is Epiphone G400 Custom, colour is Ebony

out of all the guitars I've played its one of my favorites. I had it professionally set up recently and it can compete with *most* Gibsons. One of my friends who owns a real Gibson SG was furious because mine played and sounded better than his, and cost only about a 1/3 of the "better" model.

Imagine it sounding like a cross between an SG and a Les Paul and you'll have an idea of its tone.

Most guys around here play cheaper Ibanezs and Deans, and when I use this thing I can blow them off the stage pretty easily. Doesnt distort very quickly, but once you do, this thing will shake the floorboards. Plus, the sexy looks dont hurt onstage either...
A fake? Are you guys kidding me? If the headstock happened to say Gibson, sure... But who in the right mind would make an Epi copy? That's almost as bad as making a Strat copy and sticking the Squier logo on it.

If it were a pre-'57 Epiphone, before all this Gibson-owned bullshit, I could understand. But it's not, so...

TS: There aren't many triple-buck SGs. Have you gone through Epiphone's site? It should show up somewhere.
Standard Strat
Jackson WRMG
Parker DF724

Axe-Fx Standard
Carvin DCM1000L

Mesa Trad. Slant Recto 4x12 (UK V30s)
Custom Horiz. 2x12 (Commonwealth 12s)
Quote by Karlboy
A fake? Are you guys kidding me? If the headstock happened to say Gibson, sure... But who in the right mind would make an Epi copy? That's almost as bad as making a Strat copy and sticking the Squier logo on it.

If it were a pre-'57 Epiphone, before all this Gibson-owned bullshit, I could understand. But it's not, so...

TS: There aren't many triple-buck SGs. Have you gone through Epiphone's site? It should show up somewhere.

I dont know if you've been to the Epiphone website lately, but its guitar listing area is kind of a joke. They dont show anything that is remotely old, and if you're trying to find older "out of production" instruments you are out of luck. Plus they dont have a support area where you can send in the serial number and find out what your guitar is like the Gibson branch does.

I have found the Ivory cousin of this guitar in many areas, and it has several differences, the most glaring ones being the neck width and the tuners. The main reason I wrote this thread was because i thought it was a limited run of that model, and wanted to know if anybody remembered it. I've got it figured out now though so its all good