I just bought a marshall act 150h amp head today. I have it running through a marshall 4x12 half stack. I am new to stack amps, Ive only needed a combo before. All the settings on this amp are a little overwhelming, but im getting used to it. I play metal/metalcore/hardcore. The tone im getting out of this amp sounds muffled, and very bassy. Ive tried messing around with it but cant seem to figure it out. Are there any tips or anything someone can give me to mess with this amp?
honestly, thats the nature of these amps. i used to have the combo of your head version. it was terrible. the only way i could fix this was by not turning the channel volume up very high, and by using the master volume to control it more, i had it the opposite for years because i knew nothing about the amp and thought since it had a tube in it i turn it up it sounds better right? nope. that fixed it partially, but it still was very boomy, and unclear, did not come through when there were other instruments around, etc. the only other thing id suggest is an eq pedal or similar. i dont want to discourage you from your amp or anything but imho id say try to return the head you bought, because its really not that desirable of an amp. especially for your styles. but you probably bought it used im guessing and thats not an option. always do the messing around BEFORE you buy an amp.

EDIT:
Quote by xNIHILISMx
Reallyy? thats all there is to it? cuz if so then its just the tone of the amp :x

pretty much
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by xNIHILISMx
Reallyy? thats all there is to it? cuz if so then its just the tone of the amp :x

It could also be because your using a 150 watt amp. You probably have the volume running on like .1, which results in a more muffled tone.
I knew the volume would effect it, but i thought more a less it would effect the distortion. I did try the amp at the store, and yes its used. thats why i jumped on it, i was offereded a good deal. I did not low volumes sounds muffled, thank you. it sucks lol, i bought a new amp, but by the time i get home. its 9pm x]
Also, linqua. I thank you for not being an ass about. I was ready for people to start flaming me for my purchase. wich just makes me feel bad, its money already spent. I will invest in an eq pedal
Quote by xNIHILISMx
Also, linqua. I thank you for not being an ass about. I was ready for people to start flaming me for my purchase. wich just makes me feel bad, its money already spent. I will invest in an eq pedal

If you are playing at low volumes, at least in my experience, its best to cut out bass frequencies and add to the treble frequencies to help make your sound come into focus.
Quote by xNIHILISMx

You could always sell it if you don't like it. You said you got a great deal, so it's not like you would be out that much $
Quote by patriotplayer90
You could always sell it if you don't like it. You said you got a great deal, so it's not like you would be out that much $

Well hold on now lets not be rash!
yea my master is now at about 8. and my channel vol at 1. then i had to drop the bass to 4. and the mids at about 2, and my treble at 10. Its just weird cuz im told with my type of music, the bass is usually a little higher then the treble, and almost no mids. but since im at a low volume. i have to compromise
no prob man, try to get the best out of it, maybe youll be able to get better tones out of it than me.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Well, I paid the place i bought it from for a warranty. and they pay 80 percent for refunds. im not thinking of returning it though. its not bad a high volumes
Quote by xNIHILISMx
yea my master is now at about 8. and my channel vol at 1. then i had to drop the bass to 4. and the mids at about 2, and my treble at 10. Its just weird cuz im told with my type of music, the bass is usually a little higher then the treble, and almost no mids. but since im at a low volume. i have to compromise

dont conform to what youve "been told" your type of music/tone should sound like. every amp is differently eqed by nature anyway. another reason its boomy is because mids are too low. whoever designed the scoop button on that amp is retarded, if you press it in, its too scooped, if you leave it out theres no way to make it not sound like a transistor radio in a lunchbox. just experiment with the knobs and find something you like, not what youve been told.
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?
Quote by paulsom83
Well hold on now lets not be rash!

Rash? Lol seemed like good advice to me. I have gotten several amps within the last few months, all that I wanted to love dearly, but it just did not happen. So they had to go.

I'm glad you the issue is resolved.

Just a question though, how much did you pay for it?
I paid 400 for the head, along with a marshall 4x12, Along with a 1 year warranty on both. Hey I just thought of something, what if i run a wire from the headphone slot on head. into one of my small practice amps. that way I can run the head at a high volume but turn down my practice amp. Will I risk blowing my amp if i do this? will it work?
Last edited by xNIHILISMx at Sep 29, 2010,
Oh and btw +34356398 about the scoop bottom. the scoop is too much. but id rather have it pressed down then it not at all. withouth the scoop button it just sounds funny to me
Quote by xNIHILISMx
I paid 400 for the head, along with a marshall 4x12, Along with a 1 year warranty on both. Hey I just thought of something, what if i run a wire from the headphone slot on head. into one of my small practice amps. that way I can run the head at a high volume but turn down my practice amp. Will I risk blowing my amp if i do this? will it work?

I can't imagine that working well
Quote by xNIHILISMx
Oh and btw +34356398 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************+34356398******end_of_the_skype_highlighting about the scoop bottom. the scoop is too much. but id rather have it pressed down then it not at all. withouth the scoop button it just sounds funny to me

yea i hate scooping but thats the way it sounded best to me as well. i would turn the mids up a bit tho, i like a light scoop, but overall more or less a flat ish eq
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
You know why?