So me and a few guys have got this band going recently. Thrash-groove-core etc etc whatever you wanna call it.

Anyways. My two best friends don't really like each other. They both play guitar, one of them is really good, the other not so great. The better of them can also play drums. We also have a good singer and bassist.

Now, because of their differences, the band will go nowhere if they are both in it. The rest of the band gets along well with the better guitarist. So we really want the other guitarist to leave, because of his lack of skill.

He isn't committed too. He has hinted that he doesn't even want to be in a band at all, even saying that he might quit playing guitar. The problem is, he is one of my best friends (which I wouldn't want to change) and he doesn't take being left out very well. So how should I talk to him? Ask him if the band is something he really wants, and is committed to? The last thing I want is him to think it was because he can't play guitar.

Also as a side note, do you think having a drummer is really necessary? Band pracs are so much easier without one, as you don't have to constantly fight for volume, and it is one less opinion you have to listen to. Me and the other guitarist are more than capable of programming drums for the time being, and we can just play along to the drum tracks when we are rehearsing. What could we do for live shows is the only problem. Anyone else feel the same way?
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD M-200FM w/Tone Zone + PAF Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Well if I'm reading this correctly, you have 3 guitarists. That's too many, and not surprising that you're fighting for volume. There's too many instruments in the same frequency range, and can only be overcome by arranging each guitarists parts properly and changing your tones to fit each other. Not many bands can pull this off, and I'm assuming that two or all three of you are playing the same thing, with distortion, resulting in a muddy mix.

The drummer is necessary for bands. I'd say that in terms of "required" instruments in a band it would go drums and bass (equal), vocals, then guitar (last). The drums and bass set the foundation of the songs, vocals give it melody, and the guitar is a jangly thing that goes in the middle, bridging the frequency range between the bass and the vocals.

As for those social issues you have, if he's not dedicated to his instrument, and doesn't really want to be in a band, if you don't kick him now he'll quit later anyway. So I'd get rid of him.

The fact that your other two guitarists don't get along is really their problem. Yes it affects the rest of the band but it shows close-mindedness on their behalves anyway. In the situation where two band members are constantly bickering, I'd kick them both out and get members who focus more on their musical parts and how they fit together with the rest of the band instead of fighting for unrelated reasons.

So that's what I'd do. Kick out both the guitarists, find a different one who is more willing to focus on the band. Alternatively kick the guy who wants to quit.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Yes that would make three guitarists. But one of us would be playing drums. Three guitarists I could not handle haha. I can barely stand playing with someone else.

EDIT: So I am one guitarist. And the other two are the ones that don't get along. We don't have a full-time drummer at the moment.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by sammo_boi
Yes that would make three guitarists. But one of us would be playing drums. Three guitarists I could not handle haha. I can barely stand playing with someone else.

EDIT: So I am one guitarist. And the other two are the ones that don't get along. We don't have a full-time drummer at the moment.

Pretty amusing that you don't have a full line-up and you're already fighting

Thoughts on the rest of my suggestions? Who is playing drums then? If you kicked out both guitarists how many members would be left? Is it 2 (you and the bassist)?
Soundcloud
Nah I definitely want the other guitarist to stay. We've been jamming since the start of last year and it's taken until no to find other willing members

We don't have a drummer right now, but we know a few. The other guitarist (the one I want to keep) can play drums and we have a kit we can use if we need. I just feel it's not worth the extra hassle of having another member when we don't need it. And we go fine just playing along with drum tracks for now.

If we kicked out both guitarists, it would be me, a singer and bassist.
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Last edited by sammo_boi at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by sammo_boi
I just feel it's not worth the extra hassle of having another member when we don't need it.

Oh rly? What about a 3rd guitarist?

Trust me, get a drummer.
Soundcloud
We don't have three guitarists. Never were going to and never will. The situation was we would have two of us playing guitar and one would shift to drums.

Don't worry, we will get a drummer when we find someone
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Just ask the guy, 'What do you wish to achieve with this band? Stardom? Camaraderie? Or are you just hanging out for the sake of hanging out?'
With any luck, he'll realise that he's wasting his time and leave.

You don't necessarily need a drummer (or a bassist for that matter) as they can be electronicaly generated, but for the genre you are going for, a drummer would certainly be an advantage.
That said, I know a metal band that did very well without a drummer for quite a long time, they even made a feature out of not having a drummer, but even they eventualy got one and are now doing even better.

Still, try doing gigs with the drum machine and see how it goes, only you can decide if it works for you or not, and you can only find that out by trying it. A decent drum machine through a decent PA can sound awsome, and it certainly frees up a large part of a stage, but it does require someone to operate it (preferably not the frontman, it'd be better to have someone cuing up the machine while the frontman is introducing the song) and relies on it not going wrong. (which can also be said for some drummers )

For gigging purposes, I would advise you to have two identical drum machines that are identicaly programmed, so you have a gig-ready spare just in case one develops a problem.
Of course, another way of doing it would be to record the drum tracks, then rather than having a drum machine handling the beat, all you need is a CD or MP3 player.

Personaly I prefer real drummers to machines, as I suspect most musicians do, but I'm not averse to advising someone to use one for a while because I saw the advantage that using one brought to my mate's band. It made them one of the tightest bands around and helped them develop a full on sound that eventualy real drummers in the area noticed. Eventualy they were inundated with drummers all wanting to join and ended up with a really exeptional drummer and all round decent bloke. In short, using the machine for a while eventualy led to them being able to choose the best suitable drummer for the band, rather than being stuck with some drummer who may not be very good but at least he's available.
Thanks for the response. You've really helped me out. My point was that we don't want a drummer for the sake of having one. We'd want one that is really good, and someone we can get along with. These people don't come around too often

I'd definitely prefer a drummer over a machine too, especially for playing gigs (me and my mate guitarist are big on over the top endings )
Jackson DK2M
Ibanez RG7321
Digitech Whammy IV
Digitech GSP1101
Furman M-10 LxE
Peavey 6505
ISP Decimator
Geez Slacker, just come up with some completely valid reason to support the TS's point of view why don't ya
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Geez Slacker, just come up with some completely valid reason to support the TS's point of view why don't ya

sorry.